Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Different things

Over the past few days, I have been collecting a list of things that will be different about life when we’re in Britain. They are pretty random, so I will just spew them out, although I have made at least a little attempt at organizing them. They are in three categories. Three categories – come on, that’s pretty good. I mean, it’s not the kind of intelligent analysis that would get me to be where someone like Matt Frei is, but three categories is three categories. Don’t knock it.

Things that will be different


• There will be reassuring white lines at road junctions, so that I will know where I am meant to stop the car
• Stop lights will not swing about on their wires in the wind in that alarming way
• The meat aisle in the supermarket will be mostly chicken with a small section of beef, rather than mostly beef with a small section of chicken
• Children won’t call each other “dude” (or perhaps they will; we’ve been away 18 months and this could be a new fashion for all I know)
• Everything will seem very small, especially cars and houses. A friend of mine laughed when I told her we have an air hockey table in our basement playroom: “you have a playroom large enough for an air hockey table?”. I didn’t tell her we could fit 3 or 4 in that room, and that we have a choice of other rooms where it could go. And that our house is not abnormally large for a family of five
• Children in a park won’t ask their parents for an underdog (which is surprising, given we’re meant to be a nation that always likes the underdog)
• A grill will be something you put meat under, not on top of

Things I will miss


• A big fridge
• The lack of traffic
• Not having to spend time planning the hunt for a parking space
• Thunderstorms
• Kraft Macaroni and Cheese in a box (which, annoyingly and humiliatingly, is much, much more delicious than homemade)
• Mixer taps that actually mix the hot and cold water
• Seeing exotic food in my local supermarket (cactus leaves, buffalo meat) – or will Cadbury’s chocolate fingers and Wall’s chipolatas seem exotic now?
• Knowing it will be warm enough every day to wear flip flops (I find the relentless heat hard to cope with, but I do like flip flops)
• People asking me where I’m from and saying they love my accent

Things I definitely will not miss

• Obscenely large portions in restaurants
• Drinks served 75% ice 25% liquid (am I the only one who likes a drink to be something you can drink? am I the only one with teeth sensitive to cold?)
• When I order milk from a children’s menu, the waiter asking “white or chocolate?”
(Of course these first three are entirely hypothetical, since we won’t be eating out at all. Given the cost of living in the UK, we will be existing on bread and water – oh, but at least it’ll be delicious bread, not the compacted cotton wool that is marketed as bread over here.)
• Commercials on tv – their number, frequency, length, quality and medical content (I think that covers the gist of it)
• The word “ornery”, because I just can’t quite get the nuance of what it means – one of those words which has a dictionary definition, but whose usage depends on undefinable knowledge
• The word “flakey”, for the same reason (and is it “flakey” or “flaky” – I can’t even spell it)
• Chiggers
• Four-way stops (don’t get me started)
• Children saying “can I get…” instead of “please may I have…”
• People asking me where I’m from and saying they love my accent (and yes, that’s meant to be in both lists - I’m a bit complicated on this one. Sometimes it’s nice to be different and have an immediate talking point, sometimes it would be nice to blend in a little more.)

28 comments:

  1. Chiggers? You lost me totally with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agh - it's chigger season here and we have a picnic next week. Everywhere you go you have to take a blanket or something to sit on. I haven't seen one up close but by hell do those bites hurt.
    Talking about being inconspicous (which I prefer after 18 years here), I went out yesterday with the worst fake tan application on the back of one leg. "Oh don't worry" I told a friend, "No one will be looking anyway". She replied, "Are you kidding? As soon as you open your mouth they'll stop their conversation to look at you". Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you can replenish your stash of Kraft Mac & Cheese at the Rosslyn Deli in Hampstead if you're jonesing for the stuff. But it'll cost you £2.50 a box...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and if I knew what jonesing meant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and if I knew what jonesing meant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those damn ornery chiggers! They like to burrow in the most godawful places on your body. And damn if they don't itch like the dickens!! If I wasn't jonesing so bad to have a picnic on the first warm day of the season and I wasn't so damn flakey to have forgotten my home-made chigger repellent, then I wouldn't be here scratching my crotch every thirty seconds, hoping no one was looking!

    I hope that helps a bit with the vernacular -- and best of luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jonesing is a drug term. a druggie who is craving a fix is said to be jonesing for it. it's leaked into common vernacular but you might not want your kids to pick that up.

    and i see i need to give you my mother's recipe for mac and cheese. hers is better than Kraft's boxed stuff.

    (it involves that curly macaroni, canned tomato soup, and velveeta cheese.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't forget the lamb, at least there is one meat us Brits are good at, along with cheese, so many choices.

    Scuse the intrusion, surfed in under the radar ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure whether "jonesing" has reached the English vernacular much further than Hampstead - it certainly hasn't reached my corner of West Berkshire...

    PS has Iota left yet? (I guess so given that she will be in my house in a little over 48 hours time!) So can we talk about her behind her back?!!! (I do love her cute accent so.)

    Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh, have a fab time. You know it will probably rain right? You haven't forgotten that have you lovely Iota.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buy the mac and cheese in bulk, dump the pasta, and take the little packets of chemicals with you to the UK. Then you can just buy the elbow macaroni and wet ingredients in the UK...just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just think, you can ask for "tomato" in Subway without everyone spinning round to stare at you!
    I haven't been following your blog long enough to know - you aren't leaving the US for good are you???

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooo yes, i understand the last one completely. In china we had celebrity status (ok, i'm dreaming a little), and damn what a pain it was! Can't blend in, constantly being stared at, i hated having 'freak' across my forehead. (in a metaphorical sense you understand)

    Chiggers?
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG do not get me started on the Chiggers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You will have to find a friend that has access to an American Airforce Base then you can get everything you crave.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you're having a great time over here!! It's raining of course!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the list, and Ie having a great time of it. Btw, I have a GREAT homemade recipe for macaroni cheese, it has bacon and coleman's dry mustard in it. You are WELCOME to it.

    Happy blog anniversary too. (Sorry I've been absent. I don't have a note.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, ooh, I have one not to miss (which I wouldn't have mentioned except down here in North Queensland there seem to be a LOT of Americans. A LOT). And please, any Americans reading this, don't take this the wrong way I'm sure you are all lovely and perhaps these people are in the minority, but... why do you eat like that? I mean with the fork held like - well, like nothing I've ever seen - in a food related styley, using your knife to chop everything up before transferring the fork to your right hand to scoop it all up and hunching over your plate like a 3 year old? I'm sorry, but... Why?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah, parking worries were so two years ago - we can't afford to drive cars now. And even when we do, it's at exactly the speed limit with bossy signs put up every 100 yards telling us to SLOW DOWN. Grr!!

    Anyhow, I guess you're here now, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Iota is indeed here! I've seen her! Tell you what, she's even better in the flesh...

    Love
    Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  21. Belated bloggiversary wishes - not sure what the gift is for one year? Cyber-table linen or something?

    Hope Blighty is being good to you and that the weather is behaving itself (!)Looking forward to your observations on your return.

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello?

    Any chance of her being back at her computer soon Josephine?

    Oh, jetlag is it? I see :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great list.... Long time, no visit for which huge apologies. Life got in the way of blogging!
    I take it the visit to England is purely holiday? I mean vacation.
    Shall return and have a proper catchup later. janex
    PS - heck is it really a year??!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My two-year old had to teach me what an underdog was - I laughed out loud at that one!

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Everything is really small!

    We're not long back from our 5 week stint in Ireland - hope your weather is better than what we had!

    Oh, I'll give you my recipe for homemade mac 'n' cheese - I swear you'll never touch that nasty box again ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, Iota, I'm beginning to accept that you may have left us altogether! I hope not, but you're allowed to choose... Anyway, I hope you and yours are all well. Thanks for spending some time with us. (and I'll keep checking, just in case you come back)

    ReplyDelete