Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Foolish words

A couple of weeks ago (a fortnight, one might even say), I had to take 7-yo to the doctor for something fairly routine. In the bit of small talk that one has time for during a doctor's appointment here (shock, horror), I mentioned to the doctor that we'd had a really healthy winter season. The kids had been well, Husband and I had been well, not much in the way of bugs, coughs and colds. Oooooh noooo, I hear you wail. Yes, indeed it was foolish talk.

A week later, I have three sick kids, and a head cold. I am debating with myself why I am posting this, and I think it is for some e-sympathy. I have a superstitious sense, too, that if I repent of my foolhardy words in a public forum, perhaps Providence will relent, and everyone will be well again in 9 days time, so that we don't have to ferry poorly children across the Atlantic. Not fun.

There's something that is complicated about going to the doctor here, as well as understanding the insurance system (which I don't think anyone does, actually). It's the vocabulary. A surgery is something you have, not something you visit. Sick means ill, vomiting means sick. Fever means high temperature. I don't think they use the word poorly at all. Not even poorly. And it seems that 7-yo has walking pneumonia, which I just wish could be called a chest infection. I assume that is what it is, but doesn't "walking pneumonia" sound much worse? What they used to call the old man's friend, on legs. If we had to have walking pneumonia around the place, I would rather it was something in the back yard, alongside the creeping jenny and the climbing wisteria. But at least if it's walking pneumonia, it will respond to the antibiotics and not be mono (which was mentioned), which is glandular fever, and not nice in either language.

Today's turn at the doctor's office is 4-yo's, who I suspect has an ear infection. Usual symptoms, plus half a dozen large red circular marks on her arms and abdomen, including one perfectly centred over her tummy button. These may confuse the doctor, although if he looks carefully, he will see Barbie's face, and conclude, rightly, that a Barbie stamper with rather permanent ink has been in use. At least I hope he doesn't want to investigate further, as I'm sure the ailment isn't covered by insurance and it could be hugely expensive. Either that, or she will be hailed as some kind of miracle child in the religion that Barbie has become, and we'll have to set up a pink shrine on our front porch to accommodate worshippers, once word is out.

I've come a long way though. The first time I went to the doctor, early on in our time here, the receptionist told me brightly "there's a $20 co-pay today", and not having a clue what that was but assuming from her tone of voice that it was some kind of jolly little extra I could opt for, I replied equally brightly "oh, um, no thanks".

5 comments:

  1. I love the mental image of you trying to turn down a co-pay. Too funny. Me, I just keep slinking guiltily out of the surgery here feeling vaguely as if I am breaking half a dozen rules because I have not forked over any cash.

    9 days is plenty of time for everyone to get healthy again... here's hoping for smooth recoveries all around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I'd love to refuse the co-pay! Of course, then they'd charge me for the entire visit which would be substantially more.

    Americans do seem to like using big, technical, words when it comes to medical things so I taught my kids to say 'pediatrician' instead of 'doctor'. Finally last week, a staff member at daycare said "You know, yours are the only kids I know who say pediatrician instead of doctor!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i AM sorry. though since it prompted you to tell us the co-pay story, there is good in your suffering.

    try zinc lozenges (not pills). they will knock out colds quickly. i guarantee it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've often thought the same about the terms used here. Is a "respiratory infection" what we would have called a cough?
    I hope you feel better and good luck with the journey next week to Old Blighty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was most impressed when I was told I had 'walking pneumonia' it sounds so much more impressive than a chest infection. Oh boy that would have kept my old boss off my back when I was sick, he always used to insist on still calling me - if only!

    ReplyDelete