Friday, May 9, 2008

An accent post

Now, here’s a “Not wrong, just different” classic. I think you may have to dig deep on this one. We all like to think we’re liberal-minded, open to cultural variation, happy to embrace difference. Have you ever thought about accents, though?

When we moved to Scotland from the south of England, people were intrigued to know if our children were picking up a Scottish accent. “Ooh, how lovely!” they would say. Then we moved to America, and when they see us, people will no doubt be intrigued to find out if our children have picked up an American accent. “Ooh, how lovely!” they will say. Or not. Now I’m not a gambling woman (not with money, anyway), but I would lay a large sum on a bet that we will not get that reaction once. In fact, before we came, a few people told us stories of their friend/sister/cousin who moved to America/Australia/Canada and their kids lost the accent when they came back home within weeks/months/days. It seems a reasonable thing to assume that a fellow Brit will share a dislike of an American accent, and also that it is ok, even in these politically correct days, to say so. Perhaps I could have a bit of fun, and pretend to my friends that I am charmed by my kids’ new accents. “Such cute intonation – we’re so thrilled for them” I could say, and watch friends’ faces as they struggle to work out if I’m being serious.

I don’t think there is any way to justify our attitudes to accents. I mean, it’s not as if an accent could be evolutionarily superior, is it? The soft lilting tones that we so admire in a Scot didn’t serve his cavemen ancestors any more useful purpose than the nasal elongated vowels of his American counterpart. I’m trying to think how one could argue that case. The caveman Scot was naturally better at imitating the subtle sounds of wild birds, and was thus better equipped to hunt them down and feed his family on nutritious poultry. The caveman American was better at warning his family of impending danger, because his loud holler carried farther. Hm. Not very convincing either way, is it? I think we just have to accept that when it comes to accents, we are all very insular and deeply prejudiced.

Or course it works in our favour here. We all know that the Americans just love the English or Scottish accent. At one point in my life, when it was a vague possibility (only a vague one) that I might move to New York, my friend there was very keen on the idea, on the basis that if I shared an apartment with her, and used my voice on her answerphone, her social life would take a dramatic turn for the better. It’s jolly spiffingly splendid to be on the receiving end of some positive discrimination, for something that comes for free. It’s not as if I have to work at my accent, or practise it, or pay for it. It’ll have to do me instead of cosmetic surgery for the duration of our time here. It’s not quite right, though, you have to agree. (Not quite right, but not so wrong that I didn’t shamelessly use my accent to avoid a ticket when a policeman on a motorbike pulled me over for having out of date tags – “oh miy goodness mee, offissa, Eye’m terriblee terriblee sorreee” - but that’s another story).

I must have become more used to the accent here than I realize. I went to see a high school production of Oliver recently, and after a few minutes, I began to wonder why the actors were all putting on odd, slow, stilted voices. Then the penny dropped (duuh). They were putting on English accents, and putting them on very well in fact. It must have been exhausting to have to sound so pretentious all the time. Is that what I sound like to them? And if so, why do they find it so attractive? But it will take a less self-interested woman than me to stand up at this point in time and say “Not attractive, just different”.

4 comments:

  1. You're so right. We are so prejudiced against certain accents. It's funny, Miss E is in a production of Oliver at school and her attempts at a cockney accent are so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it very awkward when Americans talk about how much they like my accent, or how they wished they had one like mine .... its very strange its not like I bought it, or worked really hard to achieve it ...

    My friend who is from Blackpool of Indian parentage, went to Houston for a summer - he is of light complexion and kept getting Mexicans speaking Spanish to him and then getting very angry when he wouldn't respond (he doesn't speak a word of spanish).

    Another friend of mine from the same area in Scotland as I, is married to a Bostonian and she has almost no Scottish accent left - very strange and I'm very glad hasn't happened to me!!

    And of course the biggest issue for me is when they hear my accent and then presume English is not my first language .... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could stand up and applaud this post, I totally would. Wow. Amazing. You said EVERYTHING I feel so eloquently and amazingly precise. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you were Scottish! Not that it makes any difference, it's just that I have imagined your voice lilting as I read your posts.

    Accents - tribal indicators? I like to be neutral myself, a happy wanderer. My kids, and their sarf london twang - don't want to talk about it!!

    ReplyDelete