Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Questions, questions

Hey, I’ve thought of a clever way of avoiding asking those questions that I want to know the answer to, but which mark me out as an ignorant foreigner. I can ask my bloggy friends! They’re a nice bunch, pretty easy-going, and won’t see me looking all embarrassed if the answer is really obvious. So, hello Bloggers. These ones are for you.

1) What is the rice and pasta and bread here “enriched” with? It’s all enriched, every last packet of it. What with?
2) Why are my finger nails so much tougher here than in Britain? Is it something they put in the water, or is it whatever they enrich the rice and pasta and bread with?
3) I know that British teeth are something of a national joke. That’s ok. I can take it. I am intrigued about American teeth, though. I can see why they’re all so straight. That’s to do with orthodontics. But how come they’re all so big? In comparison, British teeth are not only crooked, but small. Is that to do with the stuff they put in the rice and pasta and bread?
4) Should I go and get my supplies from a health food shop instead? What else is this enriching agent doing to our bodies?
5) Can you think of any better place to take Husband for his birthday than Dodge City, Kansas?

Answers on a post-card please, or just in the comments box. Question 5 is a trick question. Please don't come up with any better suggestions, since it's already booked. It'll be fun. We really couldn't live in the Midwest without a visit to Dodge City, could we?

10 comments:

  1. Well, good questions all. Don't know how much help I'll be, but here goes:

    The rice, pasta and bread are all enriched with vitamins and minerals. So is the breakfast cereal. You can even buy orange juice with calcium in it. We like our vitamins and minerals!

    Frankly, the fingernails confound me. Unless they're stronger because of the artificial vitamins and minerals already mentioned. Or maybe the flouride we put in all the water.

    Why are American teeth so big? Flouride in the water and calcium in the OJ? Or maybe all the pilgrims and Quakers had big teeth.

    I plead ignorance on the health food stores. Nothing wrong with organic, though, if you can find it at a reasonable price. I bet there are some wonderful farmers markets in your area.

    If Dodge City interests you, check out Branson, Missouri, and Eureka Springs, Arkansas. They are both pretty neat places and very American. Hubby and I married in Eureka Springs.

    Fun stuff. Ask us some more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am equally baffled by your island! But I think this is a great strategy and one I might give a try too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enriched doesn't necessarily mean healthy. White bread is usually labelled as "enriched" but it's terrible for you.

    I do a large portion of my shopping at health food stores, but watch out - they're expensive! Unfortunately, I've developed quite a taste for organic Fairtrade chocolate that costs 2 pounds a bar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iota - a quick google on enriched foods brought up the following:

    http://tomlevymd.com/archiveissue4.htm

    Not very re-assuring I'm sorry to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. farmer's markets is a great idea. and local bakeries often have great granola, muffins, bread...

    not sure about the tooth-size. my teeth are as crooked as any brit's!

    re fingernails: do you eat a lot of gelatin? in jell-o, or in some yogurts? it toughens the nails.

    what funny questions. but funny in a good way.

    i've never been to dodge city, but i've been to kansas city, which is actually in missouri, and i think you will have a great and funky time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The big teeth are of course all the better to eat you with my dear. America is the wolf of the world isn't it?

    PS only joking here,ok. I'm American myself though writing from Britain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to stop in and say thanks for visiting my blog. Then I started reading and couldn't stop! I'm not British, but feel for you. We moved to Kansas from Los Angeles (born and raised for the most part) a few years ago and there was a fair amount of adjustment involved. Even for Americans they do things differently in the midwest. Seriously, what IS Dorothy Lynch salad dressing and why is it everywhere??

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely blog, I am glad I found you. Indeed I am "enriched" by it! Thank you for your comment earlier on.

    DM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could size of teeth be to do with veneers? Or are they scaled up to match the size of country? Oh, I don't know. I have trademark terrible British teeth.

    Though talking of which, I have fallen into the clutches of a private Swiss dentist, who's seeing Euro signs in my misshapen teeth. He caught me at a vulnerable moment. I've agreed to a plan of corrective dental treatment. Fool that I am.

    If you do go to Dodge City for your husband's birthday, have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. From what I've learned here - enriched is not a good thing. They take all the natural goodness out of things like flour, even wholewheat flour, and muck about with it and only put some of the good stuff back in. Dr Oz from Oprah, and the co-auther of 'You on a Diet' could probably answer that and more of your questions better than I :)

    ReplyDelete