Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Tenses - Past, Present and Future Perfect

I’m a great believer in living in the present, but in this chapter of my life, I find it hard not to live in the future. Not surprising, I hear you say, and no, it isn’t. And in my defence, I think it’s better than living in the past.

I like to invent future conversations that the children will have. I imagine 10-yo as a teenager telling a friend “I lived in America when I was 10” and hearing the reply “oh, cool” (except of course it won’t be cool by then; magic or wicked might have come round again, or a new word will have made it big). I can see 6-yo filling in his university application form, and pausing to say to me "you know Mum, I sometimes still write math instead of maths by mistake". I imagine 3-yo telling me she has to think carefully which version of a nursery rhyme to sing to her baby. She knows it’s “Ring-a-ring o’ Roses” here in England, but she can’t help starting off “Ring around the Rosey”, the one we used to sing together in America, and which is lodged most firmly at that deep level of memory where nursery rhymes are stored.

I’m sure this is why I bought an American version of Monopoly as a Christmas present to ourselves. I didn’t really want to play Monopoly. It was so that in future years, I’ll get the game out and say “I remember buying this in America. I got it in SuperTarget.” It was so that the children will tell their friends “it’s funny playing your English Monopoly, because we have American Monopoly at home”. It was so that we could celebrate this American episode of our lives, once safely back in England.

Life has sneaked up and overtaken me, however. That Monopoly game has become a hit. 3-yo loves playing with the houses and hotels, lining them up, and visiting them with the car or the ship, the dog or the hat. 6-yo loves the money and the property cards, and happily makes up his own games. He is getting to grips with Community Chest and Chance: “What does “you inherit” mean? Do you get the money or do you have to pay it?” He knows how many good and how many bad cards there are in each pack. Best of all, we can play the game as a foursome, when 3-yo is in bed, and it’s fun to grow into the next stage of family life. I didn’t know the boys would be able to play Monopoly and enjoy it. I can't keep up with them.

So there I was, living in the future, and the present caught up with me. The past is hovering around too, since I find it jars to play Monopoly with $500 notes that are orange. At my own deep nursery rhyme level, the 500, whether dollars or pounds, is, and will always be, bright pink.

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely post - made me come over all nostalgic.

    What are the US equivalents of Park Lane and Old Kent Rd.

    I bought a French monopoly set for my sister in law- I think she thought it an odd choice. A typical example of buying for someone else the present you really want yourself.

    Mya x

    PS. I feel a terrible pleb. In my post today I have committed a 'ma-ja' error.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a reasonable certainty that you and I could double our blog post counts simply by posting "yeah, what she said, only in reverse" over and over again. :)

    Ours is a Junior Monopoly set (the better to play with the 3 and 5 year olds, you know), but the pound notes make me smile every time it gets dragged out. Ditto "Dad's 7 pound shoes" in our British print run copy of The Cat In The Hat Comes Back, etc., etc., etc.

    Am I the only one, or do you also sometimes wonder whether future appeal can make up for present unease?

    A lovely post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Orange? Surely not...! Lovely posting, I got a wonderful sense of the cultural differences you're encountering. And you reminded me of importance of 'living in the moment', though quite how one does that I'm still not entirely sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are indeed, as Sir Winston put it, "two nations seperated by a common language."

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I go back to America, I guarantee that I'll have a hard time going back to American English. British English agrees with me.

    How is British Monopoly different?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Iota, I think you are highly perceptive to realise just how much cred you and your littles will glean from your present lifestyle in a few years time, and frankly if thinking about the future makes the present more fun, then why not? There are plenty of things in life that I wish I "had done" whilst never having wanted to actually do them at any stage eg have a stack of interesting past boyfriends (yup, married the first one that came along), try cannabis, hitch-hike around Europe, have a suntan and no bikini marks at all etc etc. But I never even had the wit to bag them just in the interests of my future interestingness.

    And isn't Ma-ja some sort of board game too?

    Love
    NDJW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh Monopoly.

    Caused many a squabble as a kid but we loved it.

    We used to fight over who gotto be the dog, and you were really unlucky if you ended up as the iron.

    I wonder if Estate Agents like it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't actually bought Monoply here yet. When my niece was young that's ALL she wanted to play 24/7 and that sucked all the Monopoly love right out of me. I suppose I should teach my son about that game someday.

    And "maths"... I heard that somewhere else recently as well. I am so uncool because I thought to myself "Wow, this teen needs some help with English..."

    Ah well...

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah, the quaint little Supertarget that will become a happy place of memories and dreams... isn't that funny? because you're right, it will.

    i bought an irish monopoly game from a shop in county cork. i treasure it, even though i can never get my husband to play and in truth it's moldering away in our basement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post. Just goes to show - capitalism binds us all together.... sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny, I know what you mean. I've just returned home after our 2 years in England and find myself feeling a bit whistful as I slowly finish and throw away all products bought at Boots.
    But hurrah! I've just heard they've opened on our shores.
    Noticing the little differences (missed that you don't say "momentarily" in Britain) never got old for me and I do miss it. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get confused between words, accents, nursery rhymes. It all blends together.

    Do you ever wonder which country your children will choose to live?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I lived in the US for 3 years as a kid (aged 7 - 10). We had American monopoly and I still get confused with the UK version. I still say sneakers rather than trainers. It was a huge part of my life and I'm so pleased that I had that experience. My spelling is rubbish though, but happily the spell check function on Word was invented so no problems there.

    My brother is an actor and does a faultless American accent, the Americans can't spot that he is a Brit at all, place him somewhere on the East Coast.

    It took us 2 years to aquire an American accent. It took us 2 days to lose it on our readmission to a British school. But it was really cool to have lived there at that time in our lives. Your kids are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, found from the MADS carnival. I haven't live in the US, but I often forget that here in the UK we aren't American because of all the American things that we have as a family adopted!

    ReplyDelete