Saturday, July 21, 2007

In search of justice

I was summoned to the scene of the crime by the cries of 6-yo. Husband had got there first. “3-yo threw the doofer at him” he informed me, waving the offending remote control.

“Did you, 3-yo? Is that what happened?” I asked, my voice appropriately full of maternal gravitas, and my eyebrows raised to indicate disbelief and shock (although I was, actually, neither disbelieving nor shocked). It’s my policy to hear both sides of the story, but this was looking rather clear-cut.

“No”, she said, adamantly. Phew, I thought, I’m glad I've given her a chance to tell her version. “It was the zapper”, she said.

Sorry, 3-yo, but I don’t think that would stand up in a court of law. “M’Lud, with your permission, I will now present the case for the defense. The prosecution has shown members of the jury a proven motive, and watertight evidence. I will explain to them, however, that my client is Not Guilty of the crime of murder. He is accused of shooting his wife with a gun (exhibit A), but I am sure members of the jury will agree it was, in fact, a firearm.” No. I don’t think so.

Guilty as charged, 3-yo.

8 comments:

  1. I like her style! 10 out of 10 for trying.

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee this is so funny.

    My kids call it the doofer or zapper too, though Miss M aged two occasionally still calls it the phone and speaks to her Granny through it.

    You gotta love em...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, I have to say I suspect you might be underestimating 3yo's good sense here. As any legal drama worth its salt, or indeed accessed by said "zapper" would show, that distinction in the weapon of choise might actually be crucial and could perhaps even lead to her acquittal on a technicality. I sense an Ally McBeal in the making here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two thumbs up from the American judge. You know, you want creative kids...and then you get them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! We're in this stage too - not quite sure about lying but prepared to try anything to negotiate innocence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever little 3-y.o.! I always end up trying not to choke on my laughter when my kid does things like this. How do you keep a straight face? I usually have to turn my back and edge out of the room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smart girl!
    We seem to have the same problem It's surprising the number of incidents caused by remote controls, footballs and various toys without an human even touching them. Clearly they have a life of their own!
    You must have great patience to get both sides of the argument.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My almost 3 year old is at this exact same thing these days - constantly correcting me!

    ReplyDelete