Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Embarrassment of Riches

Oh my wordy. I don’t know what is going on in this corner of the blogosphere, but it seems I have won two more awards. So a big THANK YOU to the Rotten Correspondent. They are the Schmooze Award, for "the ability to converse casually with others and make social connections", and the Creative Blogger Award. Here they are (oh no, that techie bit again...)


http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vAl473slkq8/Rp0kOUAHhFI/AAAAAAAAAL4/P4F4KrRAPnA/s1600-h/schmooze_award737768%5B1%5D.gif
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vAl473slkq8/Rp0kOUAHhFI/AAAAAAAAAL4/P4F4KrRAPnA/s1600-h/schmooze_award737768%5B1%5D.gif
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aDG-ocSGTug/RpwVrRxOXxI/AAAAAAAAAM4/7gKUKdbLvFY/s320/schmooze_award737768.gif

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aDG-ocSGTug/RpwS9RxOXuI/AAAAAAAAAMg/L7ef4UI16iE/s320/Creative%2BBlogger%2BAward%2BWhite_215x38.jpg

Oh bother. Look, I'll sort this out later. Meanwhile, I'll get on with the next bit, which is to pass the awards on. There are so many darn fine blogs out there, that I could scatter these awards around like Shake‘n’Vac (actually I’ve never used that product – can’t see the point of putting more stuff down to hoover up, when there is obviously enough down there already, otherwise I wouldn’t be hoovering in the first place). But I’m just going to pass them on to one person each, because I feel all this awarding is getting a bit out of hand.

The Schmooze Award goes to Katie, Long-ayelander in Glasgow, because of all the people-living-abroad blogs I read, she is the one who I think has thrown herself most heartily and gustily, gutsily even, into local life. That’s a bit of a judgement, because we’re all trying our best, but she spends a rainy Saturday watching local people dress up in armour and re-enact battles. That's trying your very best. In one blog post she tells us of a restaurant in China where they serve the penises of various animals … oh, click here and go and read it yourself if you’re interested. I am confident that if she found herself in that corner of China, she would go and sample the fare. I don’t think I would. See what I mean? So this Schmooze Award is for you, Katie.

The Creative Blogger Award goes to Reluctant Memsahib, because she’s just moved to a place called Outpost, and I think is in need of jollying along. And is a very creative blogger, obviously.

One final award, if I may. This is a one-off, not passable-onable, award to Charlesinparis, for his superb rendering of a Jackson 5 song into text. See the comments under my previous post. I think I’ll call it the Diddley Diddley Dee Award. Charlesinparis, there must be a commercial use for a skill like that.

All this talk of awards turns my thoughts to Hollywood, and the Beckhams’ move to LA – you might have heard about it. Does anyone have their new phone number? I thought I might give Victoria a call. When I moved here, I had been put in touch with a local English woman, and it was very useful to be able to email her with little requests for information, about choosing a school, house-hunting, or whether English bed linen fits American mattresses. I’ve missed the boat on that with Victoria - she's already here so will have made those what to bring decisions some while ago, but I think it would be friendly to call her up. Make her feel at home. “Hello Vicks”, I could say, “don’t worry, you’re going to love it here. Honest. Everything’s so cheap. Get yourself down to Wal-Mart, where children’s t-shirts are 2 for $7. And it’s all very convenient: you’ll have a walk-in fridge in your kitchen, the washing machines and tumble dryers are huge, and your garage door will open automatically. Don’t worry about tea bags - you can get them easily enough.” Just little things to make her feel she’s not alone in this. We have a certain amount in common. Moving to America for a husband’s job. Stay at home mum with 3 kids. I think she’d like it if I gave her a call.

Actually, I’ll let you into a secret. It may well not just be coincidence that the Beckhams have moved here so soon after we did. It may well be because of us. We’re like that. Trend-setting types. If you need convincing, let me tell you this. We moved to St Andrews in 2000, and in 2001, Prince William came to study there. Don’t tell me that these events aren’t linked in some way. If I were you, I’d keep reading this blog, because when we next move, you’ll be able to be ahead of the game, and spot the next hot location. Don't say I didn't tell you.

13 comments:

  1. Dang! wouldn't you know i was thinkin the exact same thing! I thought she could really benefit from my advice! 'cept that i'm not from "over there" and i am a man and i have no idea about sheet sizes unless they are extra, extra long. other than that, i think i could really help her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a very charitable thing for you to do for Vicks. She seems quite the lost soul type, don't you think? Not sure how close her nearest Wal-Mart is though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should definately give Vic a call, on her private line of course. She is being slaughtered by the US press at the moment and may quickly realise that money isn't everything. I could quite easily survive on half her income. Well maybe two-thirds! A great post, made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just watched the Posh documentary and she didn't come across as badly as I had been led to expect from the papers - and this is coming from someone who believes she is a waste of oxygen and was watching to further ammunition! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whole hearted support for passing the Award on to Long Ayelander Katie. She's definitely givng Glasgow a fairer go than i am!

    ReplyDelete
  6. does anyone else think that victoria beckham looks like a poster child for plastic surgery?

    she has SUCH round and high boobs, and SUCH a tiny little waist and SUCH sculpted thighs, and SUCH a firm chin....

    she really looks like a barbie doll come to life. it's quite frightening and mesmerizing to look at. i do find myself gawking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a theory about the Beckham's move to LA. You know how they keep banging on about their 'best friends' Tom and Katie? I think Beckham is just waiting for crumbs to fall off Tom's acting table. Any roles for squeeky voiced uncharismatic types gratefully received.

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with RC that it would be lovely to give Vicks a helping hand. Although it would also be lovely if you could talk her out of wearing platform sneakers to Dodgers games.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the award! If you want to add the icon, here's how I did it:

    Go to The Rotten Correspondent's site (or now my site), click on the image and drag it onto your desktop. Then if you go to edit your post, you can click on the box for adding pictures and add the icon.

    Does that make sense? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hee hee that's really funny.
    Victoria is probably waiting for your call.

    Did you have fun with Prince William?

    Great Blog. Rotten Correspondent was right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the awards! Yes, why not give Vic a call? I can't see the Spice Girls reunion going as well as Take That's did. She may need some friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lawdy, another blog for me to get hooked on.

    Hi from one midlifer to another. I've just arrived on this blog scene and I'm stunned by the glitz and glamour - you all seem to be rolling in awards.

    Congratulations on your latest (psst...what do we mere mortals have to do to reach these heady heights of blog stardom??)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Iota,
    Kudos on the awards. I found my way here via the Long Aye Lander blog. YOu have a terrific one yourself. You may (or may not) be interested to read mine. www.thegrandview.wordpress.com. I am from Boston and travel back and forth to Scotland.

    Will be back here for certain.

    ReplyDelete