Friday, October 7, 2011

More second grade homework

I wrote recently about 7-yo’s homework, and how I hate the way she is being taught ‘correct’ and ‘incorrect’ ways to interpret passages of English. It’s getting worse. Could you bear it if I whinged on about it again? Given that you, my readers, are among some of the finest writers I've ever come across (and I sincerely mean that), let's see how you'd fare in second grade English homework.

Sam swims quickly.
Sam swims well.

Question
: What is the best way to combine these two sentences?
Answer (choice of 4):
  1. Sam swims quickly and Sam swims well.
  2. Sam swims quickly, well.
  3. Sam swims quickly, well too.
  4. Sam swims quickly and well.
The right answer is number 4. But 7-yo had chosen number 1. I have to say I agree with her. That sentence has a lovely rhythm. It’s almost like a nursery rhyme or chant. It echoes the movement of someone swimming front crawl. It has a symmetry. It swings along. I actually quite like numbers 2 and 3 as well.

Of course it depends on your definition of “what is the best way…”. I note that it doesn’t say “what is the correct way…” (thank goodness). I would prefer to see it rephrased “what do you think you’re meant to think is the best way…”. At least that would be good early training in exam technique.

I’m sure you’re going to say that it’s important for second graders to learn grammar, and that these are just grammar exercises, and won’t quash her literary creativity. And you’re probably right. But the words “dumbing down” spring inexorably to mind. (Perhaps I wouldn’t mind so much if the letters that have come home from the three primary schools my children have attended weren’t sprinkled with typos and grammatical mistakes.)

Then I stopped to think. Do I care so much about how her brain is being trained in maths? Or any other subject? Do I have a strong opinion on what she should or shouldn’t be doing in PE? Do I react so strongly, either positively or negatively, when she talks about what she’s done in Art or Music? The answer to all these is no, not really. Opinions here and there, varying from mild to strong, but nothing gets under my skin to the same degree as her English homework. This says more about me, than about the education system (though I think my opinions stand, none the less).

If there’s one thing I’ve learnt about being a parent, it’s that you learn such a lot about yourself in the process. I knew all along that I love words, and that how we put them together is important to me. I didn’t need the reminder of 7-yo’s homework really. But it’s interesting to see what things push our own personal buttons.

10 comments:

  1. I so agree. We seem to be teaching our kids to think in terms of how to pass exams.... creativity, storytelling and most importantly risk and rule breaking are now off the agenda. Some of the most important people of all generations are rule breakers - the only kids who will be likely to forge forward with innovations in the current generations will be those who have been home educated or those who have been in education but rejected it. I wish I could home educate, but I just don't have the patience for it. Maybe the difference between us though is that I object to so much of the way our kids are being educated, not just in English, but everywhere - I really think our education system needs a total revolution.... first off, it need to appeal to our kids (particularly boys) and at the moment it just ain't working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely sounds like they're teaching to some sort of test but I can't think what it might be in 2nd grade. I am all for teaching good grammar, but when there are more than a few correct options, there shouldn't be only one answer. Writing is a creative and very personal art and you can't tell anyone what they should or shouldn't write. Grrr....
    Oooh, I think I'd be having a wee discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. Here's a 5th option: "Sam swims well and quickly too."

    Drives me nuts when I see teachers insisting on 5 paragraphs in an essay, or even a topic sentence in every paragraph - sometimes that main idea is implied! I have to be careful tho' as I'm an ESL teacher and I don't want to undermine my mainstream classroom colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't it depend on what meaning you want to imply? I'd have thought if you went for number 2, isn't there an implied, "but when she swims slowly, she's rubbish"? Personally I don't like 3, and I'm torn between 1 and 4. Again, context - what does the rest of the paragraph sound like. What rhetorical device are you using to get your point across? Is that all a bit much for 7 year olds?

    I remember being taught that the sentence "I didn't say she stole my money" could have seven different meanings depending on where you put the stress. I like that. I think it's all part of the wonderful joy and nuance of English.

    Oh, and remind me to talk to you about Jabberwocky next time you want to have a rant about a comprehension exercise (loved that post by the way but read it on my phone and somehow never got round to coming on to the computer to comment).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think both sound correct - 4 is obviously more economical with words, and if I were sub-editing a piece of journalism I would choose 4, but 1 could quite well be a sentence from a book - it has a sort of "flow" to it which sounds quite poetic. I'm all for grammar (you should read Cross The Pond's latest post, in which she complains about ungrammatical notes from teachers) but I don't think you should be too restrictive. There are worse sins than "Sam swims quickly and Sam swims well."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having plowed my way through many, many writing portfolios (part of a state assessment where I was teaching) I can completely understand what they are trying to get across in this question, which is efficient, compact, formal communication, and the type of communication 7-yo will be expected to produce - at least occasionally - for the rest of her formal education. In teaching language, we talk about 'register' - learning what kinds of language are appropriate to use with which types of people: formal vs informal, business vs casual, and (in languages with such distinctions) the polite versus informal forms of address (Vous vs tu, for example.)
    I think of this type of instruction as simply a lesson in academic writing. We all have to learn when certain language is appropriate, and dole it out when it's warranted; the main thing is that 7-yo is also sometimes given the opportunity to write whatever she wants, in any way she likes, so that she still gets to play with language and use it without having anyone tell her what is 'right' or 'wrong'. Do they get to read poetry at school? If not, maybe it's time to get a good children's anthology and show her how much fun 'breaking all the rules' can be....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Number 1 is straight out of Peter and Jane Ladybird Easy Readers. Book, about, oh, 3B?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many if us have found less emphasis on cursive writing and correct spelling in US schools than when I was growing up. Things sure are changing... XOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. v true.... god knows how i'll feel when (if) the 3yo develops a taste for physics!

    ps despite writing for a living i didn't know which one was 'right'! i don't like option 4 at all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete