Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What I wrote... What I wanted to write...

What I wrote

Dear Teacher of 7-yo

I wanted to write to tell you how sorry I am to hear you are leaving. I understand you have personal reasons for relocating with your family to another state. I do wish you well. 7-yo will miss you. She has made a really great start to Second Grade. Thank you so much for the way you have encouraged her. She is happy in the classroom and eager to learn. Thank you for that.

What I wanted to write


Dear Teacher of 7-yo

Nooooo.... You can't go. You can't. 7-yo loves you. She cried yesterday when you told the class you were going. You're a brilliant teacher. Softly-spoken, serene, fair, kind, an encourager, a piquer of children's curiosity. You teach them to love learning and have fun. Don't go... There should be a rule that says good Second Grade teachers can't leave mid-year. A law. I'm going to write to President Obama. Waaaah...

.

15 comments:

  1. Gosh - yes, that's a bit early on in the school year to be leaving. I'd be devastated if Littleboy 2's Kindergarten teacher left at this point. He's already very attached.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very unprofessional IMO. I hope she has very good reasons (and I hope they're not terminal or anything) but really - you can't do that to little children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor woman, and poor 7yo: she sounds like a fabulous teacher: could she possibly be a trailing spouse? As a teacher, she must realize herself how horrible the timing is, and if she's really that wonderful, she's probably feeling awful right now. I teach high school, and finished out my year before moving, but I still felt awful about leaving 'my' kids to a new teacher(my students stay with me as long as they take German) when we moved to Seoul. I'm glad you wrote a letter: those are always sooooo appreciated...but I can tell you right now that letter #2 is the one that would have made the #1 spot in my 'keep forever' file to read when I'm questioning my career choice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww! Thats sad. Hopefully the next teacher will be just as lovely, but it will take a while to fill those shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate it when you get a good one and they do a flit! But you never know the next may be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup I agree wth Ms Caroline. As a teacher I'd have put Letter #2 in my Keepsakes box!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a shame that the teacher is leaving, I hope the new teacher will be just as good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's just the sort of thing you want to protect your child from, that pain, isn't it? Teachers; you either love them or... (but that's a subject for an anonymous post elsewhere!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crickey can see that would be hard to handle this early in the school year - sort of wish you'd send the second letter!

    Have you written to Obama yet?

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness, send the second version to her. With the great Obama copied in, naturally. She'll frame it and put it on her kitchen wall and it will give her a smile every day for the rest of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bloody inconsiderate. you're in the States, can't you SUE her??
    Pig

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's mean of her. Teachers shouldn't be allowed to leave during the school year alhtough I suppose they have personal lives don't they. My 5yo's teacher has just left early as she's about to have a baby and has realised the combination of a class of 30 young children and late pregnancy isn't much fun. So now there's a temporary teacher and then a new one in a few weeks time. I worry about the upheaval but then he doesn't seem bothered at all unlike your 7yo. Must be tough for her.

    ReplyDelete