Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Hobbling, but happy

Hobbling, but happy. That’s me.

I’ve been in Chicago. My big brother (the legendary Charlesinparis) had a conference there, and said to me ‘If I come over a couple of days early, will you come up and hang out with me?” We stayed with Expat Mum, she who showed a group of English bloggers round so ably this time last year. She plied us with tea, wine, nuggets of information about living in Chicago. I met the Ball and Chain (I didn’t call him that). Thank you Expat Mum. You really looked after us well. Ah, Bloggy Friends, it was fabulous.

We went on a boat trip, we went to the Chicago History Museum, we shopped, we saw the Bean (I love the Bean), we ate, we drank, we talked, we went to the top of the John Hancock tower (second highest building in the US) and felt a bit wobbly looking at the view. Here's a picture of the Bean.


We walked miles. Miles and miles. Mies and mies (van der Rohe) - little Chicago joke there. I don’t walk all that much in my daily life (one of my beefs about living in my car-orientated city), and after the first day I was feeling the muscles in my feet and lower legs. I was wearing natty city shoes, not my usual flip flops (it’s still summer weather here), with a little more of a heel than I’m used to. But I wasn’t going to let aching limbs and extremities curtail my city experience. By the end of the second day, I had a blister on each foot. The one on my left foot was on the sole, right in the middle of the fleshy pad, and BIG. Don’t you love blogging? Where else could I share details of my pedicular woes and be sure of a sympathetic ear? I must have looked a sorry sight hobbling through airport security at O'Hare. I’ve spent the week-end walking on the sides of my feet, and wincing, but it was worth every single painful, incapacitating step.

There is a big city person inside of me. It’s quite a small corner of me these days, but it needs a fix every now and again. My big brother is a big city person. But even if he’d invited me to spend a couple of days in a cave in the middle of nowhere, I’d have gone (and I wouldn’t have got blisters). We couldn’t remember the last time we’d spent two days in each other’s company, one on one. If ever. It’s very different to spending time in a big family conglomeration, which is how it usually is. It was wonderful. Thank you, Charlesinparis.

Hobbling, but happy… that’s rather how I am in my life at the moment. Quick update. I did enroll to do an MA in Christian Ministry. I’ve rather taken myself by surprise. I love it. I really do. Every minute. And therein lies the rub (speaking of blisters). There aren’t enough minutes in the days any more. I’ve also upped my hours at the toy shop for reasons that have their own internal Iota-style logic, though an outsider might look at my life and think “Hm, interesting timing”. I do love being busy. I’ve had too many years waiting for green cards, recuperating from chemo, being the at home mum who I love being but who has ceased being as busy as she used to be now her children are getting bigger and going to school. So now I’m busy, but aaaargh, there aren’t enough minutes. Is this what they call juggling? Struggling and juggling, hobbling and bobbling, I call it. Hobbling, bobbling, jobbling and wobbling. I have so much in my mind that my brain has run out of compartments. The chicken casserole we’re having for dinner is all mixed up with Church History, 14-yo’s need for new soccer boots, Neil Armstrong (school project), and Savlon. All to the soundtrack of 10-yo's clarinet practice and the Disney Buddy Songs CD that 7-yo bought at a yard sale at the week-end chim chimma-nee chim chimma-nee chim chim cher-eeeee. It’s not pretty in there, I tell you.

Hobbling, but happy.


Photo credit: www.explorechicago.org

11 comments:

  1. welcome back, I missed you. Glad you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. Hobbling but happy sounds a fine place to be, minus the blisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you had such a lovely time in Chicago. I bet it was great. Blisters are usually the sign of a good city break!

    I like your random list that included Savlon. (Did you ever watch Harry Hill when he had his own show? Seem to remember he had an obsession with Savlon....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a wonderful time - can sympathize with the blisters - I walk MILES in Seoul and always had them when we first moved here.

    I went to grad school directly from getting my BA, and loved every minute of it, but I bet it is quite a challenge to do when you are also a mom with 3 kids. Sounds like you are thriving despite all the juggling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bean! Glad to hear you are busy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a fab time despite the blisters. MA in Christian Ministry sounds interesting. And yes, your life does sound busy enough to be a Dr Seuss book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds excellent. (Not the blisters!) Good for you going for something you really want to do.
    Best wishes for the success of your ventures.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! An MA? Good for you.

    And I'm envious. I would love to see Chicago and would love to meet everyone there. Surely it's about time to add another destination to the list of rendezvous...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Bean looks quite exciting. Did you touch it? Can't believe I've never ever in my life to Chicago. Or Boston or Washington or...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay to you for being busy. We have but one life and liveth it we must. I made that a bit Christian to fit with the MA thing, but I mean it. It's all too fleeting and you SHOULD be busy! And why did I never get an introduction to CharlesinParis? Didn't you say he looked like someone from the Wiggles? Or was it some other children's 'band'?
    :-)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You were in Chicago!? (could've said hi! to you)

    ReplyDelete