Thursday, September 8, 2011

Things that aren't right with education

Oh, don't get me started. Truly. This is the stuff of many a conversation in our household. Kind of goes with the territory if you're married to a Philosophy Professor. I tell you, "evaluation" is a more-than-four-letter word in this house. (Come to think of it, it probably is in your house too.)

So I'm not going to get all ranty about the education system. The school year has been underway a couple of weeks here, so we are almost in full swing, ahead of you, my fellow compatriots-by-birth-not-current-location.

However, I do just want to share with you something that happened with 7-yo, which was one of those moments where she discovered that sometimes you do your best, and it's not right, or not good enough. I hate that. What mother doesn't hate that for her small child?

She was showing me a couple of passages that she'd had to read and answer questions on. I think we used to call them 'comprehension exercises' - I don't know if they still do. The first one was about a girl named Frida, going off to camp to learn to play tennis. On the bus, Frida looks for her best friend, named Gina (not Saturda or Sunda, which would have been more logical), who wasn't there. So she sat next to another girl, Elaine. When she got to camp, she found out that Gina wasn't coming as she was ill. "Frida was sad" the passage tells us. "She wanted to play tennis with Gina". But she played with Elaine instead. The passage goes on "The girls learned how to hit the ball." Oh yes. That would be useful for playing tennis. It concludes by saying that Frida missed Gina, but still enjoyed herself. The next day, she told Gina about camp and about Elaine, and couldn't wait to share her new friend with her best friend.

Most of the questions on the passage were multiple choice, but one of them asked

Why is Gina's illness important to the story? Include details from the story in your answer.

7-yo wrote:

Frida and Gina are Best friends. Frida missed Gina very much.

an answer which was deemed inadequate. Wah. Honestly, I think 7-yo had just missed the ending of the story, which was on the back of the page, and maybe there's a lesson there about remembering to turn the page over. But I also think that even if she'd read to the end, her answer stands. I'm guessing the correct answer would be something like "Because Gina was ill, Frida made a new friend, Elaine. Frida would not have played with Elaine if Gina had not been ill." But I like 7-yo's response. She's bringing of herself to the story. To her, the most important thing was that Frida missed Gina very much. (And, between you and me, I think she did well to skip that bit about introducing a new friend to a best friend, because we all know what a recipe for upset that can be.)

I comprehend that the exercise was all about comprehension of the passage, and not designed to encourage personal response to literature, but I think that's sad. The idea that there's a right and wrong answer when you're talking about plot and character seems very limiting. I know I'm over-thinking this, but you would too, if you'd seen 7-yo's big blue sad eyes, as she asked "why did I only get 11 out of 13?", and I had to tell her that she's not always going to get full marks for everything and that that's ok. And adding that sometimes the questions are a bit silly, or open to misinterpretation, and then you just have to know that it's the question that's wrong and not you. Was that the right answer? I don't know.

Then there was the second passage, all about Mr Garcia, who brought a guinea pig into his classroom, and how excited the children all were. One of the children, Paula, held the guinea pig, and whispered to it "Welcome to our class". Aw. Anyway, 7-yo had to say what "whisper" meant from the following four options: shout, soft voice, loud voice, friendly tone. She picked "friendly tone", which wasn't the correct answer. But she explained to me that in the story, Paula knew the guinea pig would be frightened by all the people, so she whispered to it because she wanted to help it not to be frightened, and so that was being friendly to it, wasn't it? So "whisper" DID mean "friendly tone" in this story, didn't it?

All this over-thinking. Can't imagine where she gets it from.

One more thing. Can schools puh-lease stop giving our children stories to read about cute dogs and sweet little guinea pigs? At least until after Christmas. If they insist on stories about dogs, the narrative should be full of details about vet bills, boarding kennel bills, unpleasant poop-scooping, and walking out in the wind and rain when you'd rather be inside watching television.

.

13 comments:

  1. Well done you for not picking up the phone and explaining what your daughter really meant. Half the parents in my school would have been up in the classroom in less than five minutes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pah, your daughter was using skills of inference & deduction, & consideration of the context. These are high level skills which she demonstrated admirably. Those sort of exercises are very flawed if they do not allow some flexibility in awarding marks for varied sensible/considered responses, rather than a right/wrong approach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose one way to look at it is that your daughter didnt fully comprehend the meaning conveyed in the word whisper, and instead invoked the context to try and undersand it instead of focusing on the inherent meaning of the word. So by making an error, and having it corrected, she learned the meaning of the word, and the inportance of understanding both meaning and context in reading comprehension. Making mistakes is how we learn, and I wish that was emphasized more rather than this desire for perfect scores. Teachers who grade hard have higher expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man. You brought me face to face with my seven year old self. I remember being perpetually worried about this complicated stuff, how impossible it was to get it all right and to explain my reasoning to adults, and what awful things would happen to me if I didn't. I think you did just right in explaining how to approach all the ambiguities of school and life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geekymummy, I agree. Why can't it be a learning exercise? Why does it have to be graded, at age 7?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheer yourself up with the fact that your daughter's answers were intelligent and showed that she'd read the story , understood it perfectly and , given that it was pure Bunty 1970s blurb , skipped the last tedious paragraph .
    In Holland , we've been battling the increasing tendency to test and judge children from the age of four . Stressful , innacurate and meaningless evaluations waste valuable learning time !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always having to tell 8yo that we learn through mistakes not by being perfect, he'll get it one day and be better for it but oh it is heartbreaking at times. And yes I do have to curb my natural instincts with his teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 11 out of 13 is a good score! :-)

    I managed to acquire a 13 year old teenager when I married my American wife - I am not complaining, but the teen does when we try to persuade her to do her homework! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would have answered the same way as your daughter :) I remember getting an essay wrong about inferring incorrectly about an elderly man on the bus - I'm still scarred!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's what they do when they are 7? You only start school in the year you turn seven where I am from.
    I like the 'silly question' answer. Maybe a good concept to introduce to your daughter, as I fear this won't be the last time to over-think (read: think independently) in her school career...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting post. I have to say your 7yo sounds adorable. My 7yo is the same though, he takes everything literally and would probably have given very similar answers. I think it's such a shame the teachers had an answer they wanted and nothing else would do. They should be encouraged to air their own thoughts.

    I remember comprehension at school. English Language was my favourite subject and I did what they told me to do to get the grades (I got an A) but I think if you have a creative imagination, the education system can't drum it out of you. Which is quite lucky, when you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I was thinking the same as your daughter about Frida's illness.

    Oh, and I'm with you about keeping cute animals out of kid's minds in the lead up to Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aaah, I have a 7 year old too and over here, they don't let us or them see any results of their tests, in fact they are supposed to not even realise they are being tested. We just get told at parents evening whether they are at the level they should be at at this age group. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but I suppose my daughter has never felt sad/a failiure for getting an answer "wrong" Am sure her time will come... And you are so right about the guinea pig thing in books. They never have a chapter where they pee on the sofa as soon as they are out of the cage. And new puppies are never shown chewing blue felt tips, barfing blue food for three days on your favourite rugs and the resultant vets bills...

    ReplyDelete