Wednesday, September 14, 2011

These are two of my favourite things

I was pondering what is my very favourite thing about living in America, and I think it is this. I love what has come to be known as the 'can do' attitude of Americans. But it's more subtle than that. The 'can do' attitude is often used as a blunt instrument, to beat us all into a 'try harder' mentality. I get irritated when I hear stories about the man who started selling running shoes out of the back of his truck, and ta-da, a few decades of hard work later, he's CEO of Nike! I hate those stories, and they do abound here. Abound, I tell you. What they fail to recognise is all the thousands of people who sold running shoes out of the backs of their trucks, and quack quack oops, a few decades of hard work later, they're still selling running shoes out of the backs of their trucks. Or they've found other ways of making small amounts of money and scraping a life together. And of course it begs the question, do we all want to be successful business achievers? Is that the highest aim?

So the 'can do' attitude has its rather thumping approach to life, but its finer side is worth a second look. I didn't know the word 'intentional' before I lived here. I like the word. It speaks of attempts to live life in meaningful ways. Who wants to look back on their allotted span and think "well, that was kind of fun"? Wouldn't we rather look back and see that we expended our energies seeking out what was important, what was meaningful, what was good, and pursuing those things? Intentionality in the small things of life can make a huge difference. Americans are much less shy than we are of living life in a way that says "this is what I'm about". You see it in the way they talk about family, friendship, bringing up children, hobbies. They don't just want to see what life brings. They want to find what they want in life. I love that. I used not to know the word 'intentional', and now I seek out opportunities to use it. (Geddit?)

Then I thought about what I miss most about life in Britain (as a generality, not the obvious issue of specific people, places or things). I decided it was the humour. That wry, dry, dark, self-deprecating, witty, hilarious, sarcastic, ironic, squirmy humour that is in my bones. It has to lie a little dormant here. It just does. It seeps about quietly in my marrow.

I'm guessing that if you haven't grown up with it, British humour can be negative, sarky, detached, and downright odd. Perhaps it reveals our stoicism. "Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag, and smile, smile, smile" - that kind of attitude. "You have to laugh, or else you'd cry." So why do I love it; why do I miss it? I think it's because it speaks of the ability to hold lightly to life, to take ourselves with the lack of seriousness we deserve, to walk across the top of the difficult days instead of trudging through them, to deflect what life throws at us instead of catching it, to enjoy the loopiness of it all, quite literally to laugh things off.

I realise that what I like most about here, and what I miss most about there, are two sides of the same coin. I hadn't seen that when I started writing this blog post, but it's obvious now. I like taking life seriously, and I like taking it not too seriously. That's a bit weird of me isn't it?

Come on then. Fill up my comments box with the things you like or dislike about the place you live, and the nationality you are. (The first person to say "a nice cup of tea" wins a virtual prize.) Or do my generalities annoy you? Do they say more about me than about the two nations I dare to stereotype?

19 comments:

  1. Hmm, will need to think abt thi s& get back to you. But as quick off the mark having recently returned to the UK, it's "Health & Safety", Britain being SO rule-bound & so jobs-worth abt a lot of stuff. The tea is Great though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. There is definitely a "skies the limit" attitude here, altho' as you say, very few people make it really big and the ones that do work all day every day.
    And yes, I miss sarcasm too. The humour in the USA is a bit like being hit over the head with a large rubber mallet (or something) and there's very little self-deprecation, which I like.
    Oh well.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that I would agree with both thoughts. And yes, they are two sides of the same coin to some degree. American earnestness can be either be a major positive, or more than a little absurd at times, when seen through British eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice cup of tea, of course!! (I win! I win!)
    With the chance of ruining my win here and now - what I like about living in England is the humour. It is actually not too far off from the Germanic humour. I know, I know, very hard to believe and very hard to admit for the Brits, but you guys are not that different from us when it comes to humour.
    Things I don't like: carpet in bathrooms. YUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm..I couldn't agree with you more that we are a country of can-do optimists; I occasionally get irritated, though, at this (somewhat naive, in my opinion) insistence that you can achieve anything you put your mind to which is just not always the case. We also tend to take ourselves WAY too seriously in almost everything.
    (I do love the English sense of humor - probably why I prefer English authors and read so many English-authored blogs.) As to my own situation: Best thing about Seoul: extreme courtesy and sense of service from everyone you encounter - people really do bend over backwards for you; Worst thing about Seoul: emphasis on outward appearances: everyone is always dressed to the nines and skin care and beauty product emporiums are on every street corner; most women have had at least one plastic surgery by the time they graduate from university(did you know Seoul is the plastic surgery capitol of Asia?), and jobs are very often awarded to the most attractive candidate. God knows Americans can be bad about this, too, but I think this takes it to a completely different level.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not lived in the USA but worked with a lot of Americans. What I loved was their totally unembarrassed ability to accept that they (like everyone) make mistakes. A colleague once prepared a financial paper for the most senior management, and after our boss had presented it, he announced to the team that one director had questioned the numbers. She looked at the maths (math) and realised that as sir had said, they did indeed not quite stack up. To the tune of several millions of dollars. And she just looked up very calmly from her desk and said "I guess that would be an error. I'll correct it." Marvellous.

    Love
    J'ph x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love British subtlety. I hate the expectation that you will fail.

    I loved Bosnian sense of humour (dark, dark, dark)and total disrespect for laws/authority but I hate hate hate the way they didn't get involved in trying to change anything.

    Oh and English tea and Bosnian coffee. Goes without saying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Firstly, amazingly well written.

    True on both counts. The difference I found between Americans and the English when I moved from the US to here, is that generally speaking Americans were glass half full type people, whereas the Brits were more glass half empty. But at least the Brits would be willing to order another pint glass and have a laugh about it.

    Another key difference: Americans know how to make life comfortable for themselves. Brits seem to thrive on making the best of a bad lot. So while Americans might luxuriate in front of a log fire on a squishy sofa sipping on a creamy latte and eating a huge double chocolate muffin with snow drifting down outside, Brits will get as much enjoyment from sitting on a hard plastic chair in a tea shop with steamed up windows and doilies on the tables with rain pouring outside while they have a luke warm cup of tea and a rich tea biscuit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol @Home Office Mum - there is truth in what you say!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think one of the key differences can be seen in the TV show The Office: the British version makes you squirm and wince almost constantly while the American version is conventionally funny but totally lacking in wit and irony. I just KNOW the American version has things like "insert eye-rolling here" in the script, whereas in the British version they don't need to spell it out because everyone's cringing on their couch already.

    I liked living the US, and I was very sad to have to move back to Canada, but now that I'm back here I'm glad in ways I didn't expect to be: back to the land where it's easy to find good tea, Marmite, self-deprecating humour, rude jokes, and people who say "sorry!" every 30 seconds. There's something comforting about that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have the best of both worlds then!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  12. After what we've experienced in the past weeks, I have to say the positive, can-do attitude of Americans is wonderful. And some of them are really funny too.

    On the other side, I've also now experienced some intense bureaucracy here which is very frustrating. Different departments/services not talking to each other, no-one really taking responsibility..... I don't know if it would be any better in England, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the humour and the Dunkirk spirit in England, or as you so wonderfully put it: the ability 'to walk across the top of the difficult days instead of trudging through them'. But I think the Brits do it so well because they expect the worst to happen. If we read a success story here, we also read all the comments 'well she's only made it because others suffered' or 'he'll never last' or whatever other grumblings about how success is a Bad Thing.

    I love the 'we can do ANYthing!' attitude in America, it makes me feel so free to go out and explore and be and try... but from my early days in Britain I have realised that the American Dream is much more difficult to achieve in America with all the support and Great Attitude, than it is in Britain with all the opposition to success. Strange.

    Great post, really got me thinking this morning... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting post. I love it, I hate it. That's how I feel about both my homes sometimes. Sorry, this may only make sense to me, and my warped brain. Thought provoking post as usual. On another note -- did you see we have yoga at our blog conference this year?

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK, so what do I (as a Brit) love about living in Russia? The feeling that anything is possible. And what do I not like about it? The certainty that whilst that may be true - anything IS possible - there is always a price attached... Oooh, dark. And on the more trivial side; LOVE the vodka from Russia, but really miss the chocolate from home. Although of course that should go without saying...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hear hear, Manchester Web Design...

    Anyway, can't really comment on the US aspect, obviously but I do remember deciding in a split second that and American boyfriend wasn't for me when he failed completely to laugh at something nonsensical that George W Bush had just done. Not because he (the boyfriend) was a Republican (he wasn't) but because GWB was "The President" and as such couldn't be laughed at. I realised that there was pretty much nothing that I thought couldn't (or indeed shouldn't) be laughed at, and that I couldn't in all conscience spend much more time with someone who didn't see that. And I think that was because he was American, not because he was humourless (he was lovely actually in all other respects).

    I think though that British self-deprecation, and cynicism and really rather black (and bleak) humour, is very specific to us as a nation and it was certainly something that I realised in that moment I couldn't live without.

    ps love the new family photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to be in love with American positivity but I'm having a wobbly time these days. The politics of this country are so scary that I'm not so sure positivity is what's called for. Some cynicism would be greatly beneficial I think.

    Perhaps it's just that my inability to fit in has worsened over time and I am now feeling very negative about the whole place. Definitely glass half empty right now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Iota, these posts and lively comments are why I keep coming back for more :) As always, great discussion. XOL

    ReplyDelete