Sunday, October 23, 2011

Degrees

Not of the Higher Education variety. Though I must tell you about the MA I'm doing some time, because that would be a good post (stop yawning at the back there).

No... this post is about degrees Celcius and degrees Fahrenheit, prompted by a list of things that still surprise Not From Around Here, an American blogger who's lived in England for six years. Though, just to clarify, she's not surprised by the use of Celcius; she's surprised at her own lack of adjustment, and that she still has difficulty with it.

I'm going to let you all in to the inner workings of Iota's mind. I feel a bit embarrassed about this, but I know we're all friends here. Just try not to laugh too audibly at me in the comments. Here goes...

For all the years I lived in Britain, I never really coped with Celcius. So when I heard the weather forecast, I would mentally convert to Fahrenheit. To do this, you divide by 5, multiply by 9, and add 32. Yes. I really did do that every time I heard or watched the weather. Every time. It became a habit. I liked to think that I was exercising my brain in an Alzheimer's-protective sort of a way, but truth be told, it was just one of those little weirdy quirky kooky things that YOU LOVE SO MUCH ABOUT ME (stop laughing at the back there). I have to confess (and this is where the Alzheimer's-protection theory falls down), that I couldn't remember the result from one day to the next. So if Michael Fish said "it'll be the same tomorrow as it's been today", I couldn't short-cut the calculation. I'd do it all over again.

There are a couple of sneaky tips. It's worth knowing (if you're stuck in the same loop as I was) that 16C is 61F, and 28C is 82F. Ha! Genius. Except you do have to remember that it's 16-61 and 28-82, and not 15-51 or 17-71 or 18-81 or whatever, otherwise you'll be into that divide by 5, times 9, and add 32 manoeuvre all over again, just to check you've got it right. Which I did have to do. Frequently. It's a pity that the Great Fire of London happened in 1666, not 1661, because that would have been an easy way of remembering. Though then I wouldn't ever have remembered the date of the Great Fire of London, because it wouldn't have ended in 66 like 1066. Perhaps William the Conqueror could have made his move 5 years earlier, in 1061, and then everything would have lined up nicely.

Another easy-to-calculate temperature is -40 degrees, which is the same in C and F. Ta-da! Sadly, not very useful to know that one, when dealing with UK weather forecasts.

The other point I should confess to, is that it never made any difference anyway (stop that snickering, or join Husband, who always found this amusing). Having dutifully converted to Fahrenheit, I really didn't have much idea of how the figure correlated to the experience. I mean, I knew 32F is freezing, and that if it's in the 90s you're probably on holiday somewhere Mediterranean, but as for the gradation in between, well, I was always a bit in the dark (or out in the cold, if it was, and this being Britain, it often was). Husband gave me a rule of thumb (being a decent bloke), that if it's 60F you can just about get away with no jacket over a long-sleeved shirt. I know, I know. You have to remember, (a) he is a bloke, and (b) we were living in Fife among the hardy Scots. Over time, I've recalibrated that to 64/65.

Being in America has been a real education for me in what temperatures feel like. I now can read the weather forecast and know whether to wear jeans or shorts, whether to take a cardy or not, whether my feet will be cold in flip-flops. I tell you, it's a whole new thing. It's partly because the range is so huge, compared to the UK, that I've been more interested. It's partly because the forecasting is so good and reliable, that it's worth paying attention. It's partly because I see the temperature much more frequently than I used to - the dashboard of the car, the computer, winking digital signs outside shopping malls, churches, gas stations, restaurants, etc. I feel rather proud of myself. I've cracked this Fahrenheit thing. I'm hot stuff at Fahrenheit.

And I much prefer being 98.4 than 37 point whatever it is. Or 36. Can't remember. There's more room for manoeuvre. We all know that 100 means 'ooh, getting a bit high here'. Three digits is a helpful clue. Nice and easy. In Celcius, it's a matter of a decimal point or two between life and death. Much too scary. I need a bigger range of temperature when it comes to health. And yes, since you ask, I do have two thermometers. I don't trust either of them, actually. I do also have a conversion chart in the medicine cabinet, which I printed out before I'd got round to buying a Fahrenheit thermometer.

There you are. All you wanted to know, and more, about temperature conversion in daily expat life. Well, my daily life anyway. I'm guessing my approach might not be entirely typical. I'm going to stop now.

20 comments:

  1. I read a short story once where a little boy was ill and he heard someone say his temperature was 100. He was terrified because he knew that over 40 was dangerous and over 45 meant death. (Being a curious child, I then investigated the conversions between the two and when things like hypothermia kicks in.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I'm similarly challenged with Farenheit. Anything above 65degF and I'm fine, but below that it means nothing - NOTHING - to me. Totally a Centigrade woman, I'm afraid. Which is fine unless I'm talking to a North American and then it's just mutual incomprehension. About the temperature, that is. Only the temperature...

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Ireland we have less need for gradations in temp- it's usually coolish, and always raining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relate so well to this post!
    I feel a bit embarrassed that, being English and living here, I am still not into C and I tend to only know that 70F is 20C and I just tell my self that anything above or below is either hotter or colder! Now you've told me about the 16C=61F & 28C=82F (not that we will be needing the last one much in England!) that is really useful.

    I still have a thermometer in F & guard it with my life in case it gets broken. Like you, I have to have a better range of degrees between life & death fevers.... so that is why F thermometers are the best.

    I also have the same tendency to convert all grams into pounds & ounces and even knitting needles are all the old fashioned ones and metres into yards/feet/inches.

    Theres no hope for me...... is there?
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having been struggling with this since we moved to Seoul, I am wildly jealous that you're now operating in a comfort zone, whereas I am constantly guessing. I know that when it says '27' on the thermostat in the apartment, it's pretty warm, and I know that in the summer I loved keeping the bedroom at 23 at night, but I still can't figure out what to wear in which celcius temperature. My oven makes me crazy, too, because it only calibrates in degrees of 10 at a time, so you can only bake something at 170 or 180 or 190, which does NOT correspond with all of my recipes from 20 years of married life, which are all in Fahrenheit...so things always cook too slowly or too quickly.
    I can do fine with kilometers and kilograms (I weigh so much less, it seems!) but I'm sorry to say I just go to weather.com every morning and read the Seoul temperatures in good ol' Fahrenheit (hangs head in shame)....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup I'm the same. I was at the age growing up where you were taught both in school, but it was still fahrenheit on the weather forecast & home thermometers & in our family conversations. So I do the calculation thing in myhead always converting Celsisus into fahrenheit, but my sum is double it & add on 30, wch is prob mch less accurate. I still mentally calcualte what celsius is in Fahrenheit. I can imagine 24-40' celsius but I cannot imagine what the other numbers feel like. Eg 16'C or 12'C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually just double it and add 32 - Celsius, that is.
    I kind of know what the Celsius figures mean, but not nearly as specifically as when I'm quoted Farenheit.
    The Little Guy (8) does everything in metric at school. I'm wondering at what stage he'll have to covert back to feet and inches as there's now way this country is moving over any time soon. I can't believe the USA still isn't metric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up with Celsius in Hong Kong so never learned Fahrenheit till I came to America. I still struggle when it gets down into the 30s and below (I know what 'minus 5' feels like in England, but when it's 27 here I'm really not sure what's going on). But I now know roughly what's going on, and, importantly, know at what temperature to set the heating and airconditioning (never having had that luxury in England. You just whacked the radiators on, and as for airconditioning? Just opened a window. We opened a window in our new house and the burglar alarm went off. Sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a Celsius girl! I've just moved from the UK to Charlotte, NC, and the use of F instead of C is so hard to get used to. I was taught using C at school, so that's probably why, but it also makes logical sense to me that 100 is boiling point, 37 is body temperature, and 0 is freezing. It's a logical scale in my head, in any case - a clear beginning and end point, if you like.

    So, I've so far worked out that 80 here is pleasant; 90 is humid and no one appears to like it; 60 seems to be ridiculously cold for the locals (that's 16, right? Nesh bunch, this lot!); and 41 is actually cold. I have a feeling that I will be referencing C for a good long time yet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am in awe at how quickly you can calculate sums! Hot stuff. Or v. cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Same here and still can't do the date thing, but still liking the US miles... Kiwi are onto kilometres just refuse to think about that. It makes no sense, as my kids would say. Though weight loss needs to be measure in lbs and weight gain in kilos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having been brought up on the cusp of metric and imperial I find myself unable to really understand temperature, weight or distance - it's a bit of a mess to be honest but at least in a purely metric world my children won't have to worry about inches and the like

    ReplyDelete
  13. How refreshing to know that it isn't just us Americans who struggle! I always do what Expat Mum does, double and add on to get the F temp, and I am starting to get a vague idea of what clothes to wear when quoted a C temp but I still will mentally convert as I am going up stairs to the wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The only one I remember is that 0˚C=32˚F. Zero makes more sense to me for freezing point, so when it's cold I like to use Celsius. Having grown up with Fahrenheit I still prefer that for warm temperatures and for checking on fevers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. In out house, as I'm yet to master the thermostat, its either too cold or way too hot.

    You must write that post about your MA too. I'd be really interested to hear what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Makes me laugh a little. This California girl from the desert understands the ranges and what they mean. I think I go a little bit more of what Celsius "feels like" here in Kyiv because the "feel like" in a California desert isn't the same as here. The funniest quirk for me is that I only know below freezing in Celsius. I have never had to use it in Fahrenheit. I try to do the conversion when I talk to people back home, but they usually freak out at anything under 40F (which I told them last week "isn't actually cold" to which they strongly disagreed, and so would I if I were in southern California!).

    ReplyDelete
  17. But then I'm the opposite. Farenheit means nothing. Surely 0 for freezing and more for warmer all the way up to 100 for a nice cup of tea makes much more sense? (Although you shouldn't drink it until it's cooled down a bit, mind).

    The only thing I can't do is body temperatures. Like you I'm a 98.4 girl. Cannot get my head around centigrade (which is what I call it; why is that?) at all. Which leads to doctors saying things like, "Her temperature's 41" and me going, "Oh, that's nice" and not realising until it was down and we were all smiles again that that's over 104 and I should have been in a state of panic. Probably a good thing really.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with expat mum - double it and add 30. Gives a rough idea that is good enough for me.

    Unlike PlanB I'm centigrade through and through - F means next to nothing to me now. 40C sees me racing for the Dr. 104F means 'that's nice'.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok, so I have been drinking and I really, really wanted to stay with this post. But numbers, dyscalculia (i know i spelt that wrong and gave it an Italian ending) and drink, it doesn't work. So I stopped reading. There, I admit it. I came over here coz *slurred voice* I really love you Iota and in my rather inebriated state I was remembering (all to myself in my own comments box - I invented the phrase 'sad, lonely cow') the heady, glory days of blogging when we didn't know that klout didn't mean slap-your-kids-and-then-feel-bad and we all found each other via Wife in the North's blog. Or at least I found you that way.

    Of COURSE I've lost my train of thought (2 glasses of champagne and 2 of rose since you ask) but anyway, wanted to come visit and say Hi.

    Hic.

    Pig x

    ReplyDelete
  20. And even tho I'm now sober, I meant every word of it! xxx

    ReplyDelete