Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving

We've been to Colorado again, for a week. So there's lots of stuff I could be sorting out, and there's a mountain of laundry, but... I'm going to write a blog post instead.

There is something about mountains. You always feel better for having been in them. We had a week of idyllic weather, with blue, blue skies and temperatures in the 60s, and even the 70s. Of course if it had been freezing cold and snowing a blizzard, that would have been fine too. It was win-win, really, and actually, part of us had hoped for weather so bad that we'd get snowed in and be forced to lengthen our stay.

It was, as far as I can remember, my best birthday ever. We started the day with a couple of hours of sledding. Where we were, at 7,500 ft, there wasn't any snow to speak of, but half an hour away, at 10,500 ft, there was enough. No broken limbs, just a few grazes, and glorious moments of speed and adventure. Then we soaked in the local hot springs, and emerged smelling of sulphur, but relaxed and invigorated. I successfully negotiated the changing rooms, which is a bit different in this post-surgery era of my life, but I managed ok, and even got to hold a 6-month old baby for a mother who didn't have enough hands to get herself and her two children dry and dressed (been there, know that feeling). Holding a baby: a nice thing to do on your birthday. We went out for dinner in a Chinese restaurant (new departure, having children old enough and adventurous enough to manage a Chinese menu), and ended up snuggling under a cosy blanket on the sofa watching the film Father of the Bride together. It's always a challenge to find a dvd that can be enjoyed by everyone in the family, but that seemed to hit the spot. There was a bottle of champagne in there too, somewhere along the line.

Apart from birthday frivolities, there was, of course, Thanksgiving. I have much to be thankful for this year, so for me, it was more about that, than about turkeys and pilgrims. Not that I'm knocking turkeys and pilgrims. Anyway, we got scooped up for a Thanksgiving meal by a local couple, who take it upon themselves to cook dinner for about 25, and then open their home to people who aren't celebrating with their own families. This seemed to include friends, friends of friends, and stray British wanderers. The food was totally delicious, the kids had fun, the company was relaxed, and it all took place in a perfect setting - a large house right on the shores of a beautiful lake. Going out on the deck (remember, it was sunny and warm, with blue skies), margarita in hand, I had one of those "I feel like I'm in a film" moments. How did life bring me to be enjoying Thanksgiving Dinner with all these people who I don't know, in a lake house, in Colorado, and drinking tequila? I don't even like tequila. Life is a puzzle.

I have to make a brief aside here, and reveal to you all - and I know many of you will find this hard to believe - that the green bean casserole was completely delectable. I'm a convert. It's a worrying sign that I might have been in America too long. Actually, I think it's more that I got to sample what a green bean casserole CAN be like, which is as different from what I've experienced before under that title as a unicorn is from a horse (ie not really all that different in substance, but very rare and exotic, and a whole new beautiful experience).

Americans, I have to tell you, are very good at the whole 'being nice to strangers' thing. I don't mean to knock the British, but really, we're in a very minor league when it comes to this. It's humbling to be on the receiving end. We have now stayed in Colorado for three separate weeks, each time in accommodation for which we have not paid a dime, and via a connection of two removes. And this time, we were welcomed into a Thanksgiving celebration as if we were old friends. As we left, the hostess gave me a big hug, and insisted that if we ever wanted to come to Colorado and didn't have anywhere to stay, then we must come and stay with her. She has met us once. This generous hospitality really is America at its finest. I think it's a lovely quality.

.

15 comments:

  1. Week's holiday and a bit of winter sun ad you've turned into Pollyanna! Actually it all sounds fantastic and I am madly jealous, even though I did manage a sleepover in a very wet Surrey (that's Surrey, England, near London, England for all you cross-pond types) (and indeed Iota who has probably forgotten what wet British November weekends are like) and that was as near as I get to an exotic break these days... Are Americans really that hospitable and non-creepy at the same time? Impressive. We uptight Brits are SO unlike that (though to be fair probably quite proud of the fact at the same time.)

    Love
    Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds wonderful. Sledding, mountains and Thanksgiving by the lake - just perfect. I'm so glad you had a good break. Agree with you about American hospitality - I don't think we Brits are so welcoming in quite the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The green bean casserole reference made me laugh. Your birthday sounds perfect. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's some hospitality!
    Glad you had a good birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a bit like Mac N Cheese. Pretty revolting most of the time but when you get a good gourmet version, it's heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated Birthday, Iota! And you're right, we're not great on the opening up to strangers over here, although I like to think we make up for it when we get to know people better (or is that just me?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love those movie moments. Glad you had such a wonderful birthday. I think you are right on the welcoming to strangers front, it is a strength of the Americans and a weakness of the Brits that we don't let people in until they manage to squeeze in under the radar. Once they are in, I agree with Potty, we do make up for it.

    What's wrong with tequila??

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great week! I'm glad that you had such a wonderful time. I'm missing the mountains of Virginia a bit now, reading about your trip. It sounds lovely there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can attest to American hospitality, especially at Thanksgiving. I was in our local Starbucks the day before Thanksgiving and I got chatting to an elderly lady in the line. When I got to to the front of the line the barrista asked me if I was going to get a chance to see my family over the holiday period. When I said no, my family are all in the UK the elderly lady asked me if I was going to be alone on Thanksgiving because if I was I could celebrate with her family. I had only chatted to her for all of five minutes and there I was being invited into her home. I already had plans but it was a generous and well meant offer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I just say that I LOVE Colorado. I have only been there once, and only stayed two nights there in a tent, but it was heaven. I'm from the humide, polluted Gulf Coast. Being outside is,mostly, a hot, sticky experiance. When we arrived in Colorado and I steped out of the car for the first time, I was felt as if I had died and gone to heaven and couldn't help but shout, "THIS IS WHY PEOPLE LIKE THE OUTDOORS!!!" Colorado restored my faith in nature. I would love to go back one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sis in law lives in Colorado wth her American husband, specifically for the outdoor life style. Only visited once but it was fabulous.
    I agree wth all the comments re Americans & Brits friendliness & friendships. think we do go about things quite differently
    I went to my 1st ever Thanksgiving last wk, & it was great, everyone was SO friendly & welcoming, tho I did have the 'pale imitation' green bean casserole, mushy grey beans, mushroom soup & crispy onion that looked like pork scratchings. It was not very nice. Your version sounded wonderful.
    Now u r not on facebook I missed yr birthday, not having a little reminder;o) Glad u had such a gd one. I had my best birthday ever this yr too- spent in a gorge with 2 families, a picnic & swimming in the river & waterfalls. No one else there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great trip. I'm glad to hear that my fellow Americans (and even my favorite holiday side dish) turned out to be a positive part of your trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds beautiful. And I like green bean casserole too. I'm a thanksgiving convert, even if I move back to the UK I'll still celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your lovely post! I get alot of 'I hate everything American' from folks here and your post was a refreshing read. Glad you are feeling the love and accepting it! also very happy to hear you had a wonderful time in colorado..it is a beautiful place indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Iota -- Happy Belated birthday! I'm glad you had such a nice time. Over the years, my family has the tradition in the US to invite at least 1 "Thanksgiving Orphan" to the extended-family T-day each year. It has made for some really cool friendships and interesting table conversations about different places around the world. I think our favorite was a Brazilian gal who studied wiht me at college/uni. We all learned that our Grandfather somewhere had picked up Portugese and was quite fluent. The things you learn! Your friend must have made an impressive green-bean casserole because most are mushy and bland. I had one once, though, made with fresh green-beans that was heaven. I'm glad you had a great time and I'm super proud that you find people here in the states welcoming and friendly without being weird. I'm looking forward to next year when I will attempt to bring the Thanksgiving holiday to Norwich and maybe make some T-day converts. :)

    ReplyDelete