Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Mulkar

It's a rum deal when you can't even understand your own children's accents.

8-yo was talking to me about a film he wants to see, called Mulkar. Now, I'm quite used to movies, books, games and toys with odd names. It goes with the mother-of-small-boys territory (if you have boy babies or toddlers, you are right to be feeling nervous at this point). I don't know where it all started, but I suspect the Three Wise Men had something to do with it. It's impossible to keep up. Just as you've mastered the use of a few words of the world of Yu-gi-oh, along comes Pokemon, and just as you've mastered a few Pokemon words and are feeling smug about knowing there's an accent over that e in the middle, along comes Bakugan. Is Bakugan out in the UK yet? And in case you thought you had Bakugan sussed, your son will develop an interest in Star Wars and all its spin-offs, or Bionicles.

Do any of you remember Lego Knight's Kingdom? Perhaps it's still current, but I haven't noticed them in any stores round here recently. That was the worst. In days of old, knights were called knighty names like Sir Galahad and Sir Lancelot. These days they have names like Sir Nasdaq and Sir Indesit. From the mighty realm of Vorsprung Durch Technik.

So yes, I'm quite used to made-up names being bandied about. For example, we own a DVD entitled Picachu. We really do. We have another entitled Squirtle. We also have The Battle of Metru Nui. See what I mean.

I've learnt that the thing to do with these names is to abandon all hope of remembering them, or of making any sense at all of how they relate to each other. It's very irritating for small boys to be interrupted by a keen parent with "ah, how's that Toa doing, there?" when he has a Visorak in each hand. Or "can I be Yoshi?" when you're not even playing Wii Mario Super Sluggers (okay okay, now I'm just showing off). No, the best thing to do, is to sound very interested, nod wisely, and let the names flow right through your brain without even attempting to stop them at a memory cell somewhere. Then you just have to bluff (what do you mean, you can't bluff? It wasn't THAT long since you were in the workplace.)

In my defence, I was driving while we were discussing Mulkar. As you all know, the average Midwestern mom vehicle is only a whisker shorter than a London bus. If I'm in the driving seat (which, being safety conscious, I always am when I'm driving) and your child is in the back, you really need an intercom system or some hands-free walkie-talkies to communicate with each other. Speaking of London buses, I'm thinking of running a string down the side of the car interior, with a bell, so that the children can indicate to me when they want me to stop. Anyway, I was driving, and the conversation went like this:

8-yo: Can I see Mulkar?

Me: Mulkar? Is it a good movie? Have any of your friends seen it? (buying time here)

8-yo: Yes, it's good. Can I see it?

Me: (thinks: darn it, I still don't know what genre we're in here) Um... I'll have to think about it. What's it called again?

8-yo: Mulkar. Mul-kar.

Me: Mulkar. Yes. Is that about... Mulkar?

8-yo: Mom! Mul... Kar...

12-yo: (joining in the exasperation) Mom! It's Mul... Kar... You know. As in Mul... Kar...

Me: Mul... Kar...? As in Mul... Kar...?

12-yo eventually spelt the words out for me. Have you guessed what it was they were talking about?

Click here to find out.

I'm wondering if it stars John Mulkarvich.

.

9 comments:

  1. Fantasic. I thought it was going to be some obscure Japanese animation or similar. Are you going to sit through it with them?

    It's amazing what they pick up. My boys already seem to know the name of every single character on 'Yo Gabba Gabba' and they're all stuff like 'Munoo'. I can't keep up....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha! this sounds so familiar, only in our house is because she is mixing Finnish and English and making up her own new language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks awful. Do you have to sit through it with them? But I wouldn't have got that in a million years. I'm still getting to grips with the ghastly Ben 10 - and as they can get it here in Bosnian and English, I'm having to master the names of everyone in both languages. I haven't a hope so bluff as best I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I think we'll pass on that one. I like your description of midwest cars, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bakugan is out here... I have watched it. I've also watched Mall Cop...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee hee. My boys are into the same weird stuff. I've long since given up trying to figure it out. When Bakugan's became the range, I spent weeks trying to find a toy called 'Battle Gangs' as that's what my son insisted it was called. I had many puzzled looks from WH SMith staff

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't have guessed it in a million years. Where did the p go? Time to pack up and bring them home.
    Or maybe a Jane Austen box for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Met Mum, yes, I wondered about the P too. I thought that perhaps it was just difficult to hear them from the back of the car. But I also wondered if one automatically pronounces the P more vigorously after a short O than after a long AH sound. Try it for yourself. Try saying the word 'cop' with an English and then an American accent. Cop, then cahp. The P seems more definite first time round, don't you think?

    Blimey, I need to get out more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried the nodding and looking interested thing but it didn't work - my son TESTS me constantly. And just when I'd got to grips with Doctor Who from 1963-present day, it was Ben 10, and now Pokemon. There was a woman laughing at me in the doctor's surgery waiting room this morning as I racked my brains for the name of the evolved form of Chancey while my son cheered me on saying "COME ON! YOU KNOW IT, I'VE TOLD YOU SO MANY TIMES!!"!

    ReplyDelete