Thursday, November 12, 2009

Pea coat

I bought a pea coat this morning. I'm very thrilled with it and with myself. Here is a picture of it.



(Ignore that spot in the middle - I was just sponging off a tiny mark and didn't think the damp spot would show up, but it does if you enlarge the photo.)

It's in a colour that seems to be known as teal, though who knows why. It was available in green, and that was tempting, because it would be linguistically so satisfying to have a pea green pea coat, but it wasn't really pea green, more of a muted lime, and anyway I preferred the blue. Though I did stop to wonder if the pussy cat was perhaps wearing a pea green coat when she went to sea in the pea green boat. That, too, would be linguistically satisfying, but I doubt Edward Lear ever gave much thought to it.

It is my birthday soon, and when Husband asked if there was anything I wanted, I said I would like to go shopping and choose myself some new clothes. This isn't such a treat for me as it sounds, actually, as I don't really like shopping. No, honestly. I can get into the swing of it, and then I have quite a good time, but the idea of a morning looking at and trying on clothes doesn't reach out and grab me. I have to psyche myself up. Odd, I know. I'm indecisive, and so I agonise over what to buy rather painfully. Plus I'm at that stage in life when changing rooms are more like confessionals. Today, for example, I discovered I have varicose veins on my right knee as well as my left. How did I not know that? And I haven't been shopping for clothes for six months, so there's the new body shape issue to deal with too.

For the past 12 years, whenever I've gone shopping for clothes for me I've almost always ended up browsing and making purchases in the childrenswear department, where it's much more fun. I do like new clothes and the nice feeling that comes with wearing them (phew, you're thinking), but the whole process of acquiring them leaves me a bit cold. One of the things I would do if I was overbearingly wealthy, would be to employ someone with excellent taste, who would tell me what I'd look best in, go and buy lots of outfits for me to try on in the comfort of my own home, and then take back the ones I didn't like. It would have to be someone who would encourage me to be more adventurous than I naturally am, and someone who could cope with indecisiveness in a client. I guess there are people out there who like that kind of career opportunity, and I'll tell you what. When I'm rich and looking to recruit, the first person who makes reference to this blog post will get the job. It will show either that they are reading my blog now and obviously you would all make fabulous personal style consultants, or it will show that they have done a huge amount of research into my past personal history, which would no doubt look good at the interview. Make a note, if you're a wannabe personal shopper to the rich. You never know when this might come good.

I wasn't on my official birthday shopping outing, but this morning, in Target (oh the high life) I spotted the pea coat. And I just knew it was ME. And it was $10 off. By the time I got to the fitting room, I had managed to acquire quite a few other items too. When I checked out, I found I had bought a pea coat, two pairs of cords (one in daring raspberry), three sweaters (and I didn't just consider how warm or how practical they'd be when I chose them), and two long-sleeved t-shirts (don't they make them deliciously soft these days?) I know this sounds extravagant, but (a) this was Target not some fancy boutique, and (b) you have to remember I'm not like you ordinary lovely people whose shopping instincts need to be curbed. I'm in need of encouragement, and this haul represents a healthy step towards making good a sadly lacking wardrobe. Plus it shows that I am capable of impulse-buying, which is an area where personal development is definitely needed.

You know what? I think I could develop a taste for this shopping lark...

.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Iota,
    Target is one of the first places I go when I'm in the States. I love it and still wear all my bargains.
    Well done you for buying more then just a gorgeous pea coat.
    Did it come in black??
    x jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice coat.

    I haven't looked at the clothes in Target, but now I know that those ads featuring the stylish moms who shop at Target must be true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the coat.

    Dave hates shopping. It is my birthday present to get him into a shop to go shopping for clothes for him. I found getting a good sales assistant to tell him how fabulous he is works well.

    I'm not all that keen on shopping either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much of that rings true for me, especially the part about wishing I was filthy rich enough to have a personal shopper/clothes adviser. And the part about having to psyche up to go into fitting rooms. Well done on your shopping trip and subsequent haul!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also don't like the trying on part of shopping for clothes, so I shop in one lady's fashion shop only where they have continuous sales and where I know my size exactly. I just take things off the rack and buy them and take them home and put them on. On the very rare occasion that something doesn't fit well, I take it back for another size and that's no problem. This is not an expensive shop, but fashionable and hip and I am not a young chick, so I need all the help I can get to look good. There's nothing like knowing something is really your size when it says so on the label.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please can I borrow your personal shopper when you get one? I am so rubbish at shopping. I particularly detest buying shoes and bras. Which is why I'm now wearing sailing boots around town and bras that you really wouldn't want the ambulance men to see you in should you be in a horrific car accident.

    I find shopping hard because my wardrobe is so bad that I don't know where to start. It's like redecorating an entire house. It's too big an ask. And I'm poor. Which makes shopping even less fun. But my Christmas request list is gift vouchers from John Lewis and I'm going to brave the January sales. Wish me luck

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea what a pea coat was when this popped up in my reader. A cmade of peas, perhaps? A tiny coat for keeping your peas warm? I know, I know, i'm a bit dense when it comes to fashion and all that stuff. Am very glad to see it is actually a pretty coat - and great colour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time I'm back in the states I go to Target and buy some of those long sleeved t-shirts. There is nothing like them here, and yes they keep getting softer and more comfortable every year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the first time I've ever heard of a pea coat so thanks for the education. I'm not really into shopping either - even less so since moving to Manchester as a shopping trip will now have to combine shopping with another pet hate - finding my way around. In the meantime I'm finding you can buy almost anything you need on amazon - even new trainers last week. Admittedly, I had to buy the same ones as last time in a different colour because I couldn't trust the pics of any new ones... I can see how this might get a bit repetitive after 5 years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's great. I love it. I have made a note of this blog post and will quote it when you start recruiting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah Target. Your soothing aisles, your friendly checkers, your lovely yet cheap clothing, comfortable and cute underwear, really quite decent book selection, adorable kids clothes, up to the minute toys, and last but not least your convenient on site Starbucks. I"m reminded of why I can never move back...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the peacoat color. Love Target. :) Shopping @ Target is part of the whole american holiday tradition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a shopper either,its the trudging around makes me feel institutionalised,on line shopping is the way forward.Nice coat BTW.Does it still fit?

    ReplyDelete