Thursday, March 5, 2009

It all comes out in the wash

As you know, I’ve been thinking recently about feminism, and whether it’s aliver and weller in Britain or America. Of course trying to answer that question is rather a hopeless cause. How could I possibly assess what life is like for 300 million people this side of the Pond, or for 60 million the other? This is something you get used to, as an expat. People ask you questions beginning “Do Americans…?” or “Do the English…?” and you find yourself trying to make an assessment of an entire culture, its history, philosophy and traditions, from your own very small amount of personal experience and knowledge.

I read blogs written by Brits in America, and by Americans in Britain. One thing I love is that whatever opinion you read in one, you will find it contradicted in the other. I know that whenever I write a reflection on life in America, someone in Britain will read it and think “No, no, no! That’s exactly what it’s like HERE.” It’s all part of the fun.

Take a big issue like feminism. There are American bloggers who feel strongly that Britain is so backward. There are British bloggers who think that America is way behind.

What about social habits? I read recently that British people don’t wash their hands after using the loo/restroom. Which is odd, because I have never ever once in 40 years in Britain seen anyone leave a public convenience without washing their hands, but in the 2 years I’ve been here, I’ve seen it 3 times (including one of my own friends). I have been congratulated by a stranger in a restroom for teaching my daughter to wash her hands. Yikes. I’d assumed every mom did.

Right down in the smallest detail of life, I’ve found exactly opposite opinions. An American friend was telling me the other day how her daughter’s name had an R added on by locals when they lived in Scotland. Gemma became Gemmrr. Funny that, because I’d already noticed that my daughter’s name, which also ends in an A, underwent the same process when we came here.

Then there is the great washing machine debate. Goodness me. I tell you, if the “special relationship” between our two nations, that special relationship which Gordon Brown yesterday described as "unbreakable", if it depended on blogging expat women’s opinions on the subject of washing machines, it would have no chance at all. "Special" would not be the word.

Who knew there was so much to love or hate about a washing machine? You can love or hate its size, how many programmes it has, the length of the programmes, whether you can open the lid once the machine has started in order to throw in a stray sock, whether you have to bend down to load it up, the method of putting the detergent in. This will be familiar territory to many of you. If you want my personal take on it, I will go all not wrong, just different on you, and say that I do have a preference, but that it’s just a personal inclination. It's based on a slight divergence between how the two types of machine operate, but really, it's a minor difference. British front-loaders get laundry clean; American top-loaders don’t. See? Minor stuff, as I said. Nothing to get too excited about. I just have to confess that I find it useful when a washing machine removes dirt and stains from the clothes you put in there, and keeps white things white.

Here we are, come full circle, right back where we started. Feminism. Surely feminism is nothing if not the right to define your individuality and womanhood by your preference in washing machines. It’s true that front-loading machines have recently come onto the market over here, but they’re fearsomely expensive, beyond the reach of your average oppressed housewife. Yes, it’s all about choice, but until that choice is available to all women, feminism remains a word, a theory. Sisters, our work is not done.

Women of Britain, rejoice in your washing machines! Join hands in a line of solidarity, a washing line of solidarity, and do not cease to fight for the day when all women, no matter their race, religion, age or nationality, have access to a decent front-loading washing machine. And until that day, don’t burn your bras. Just keep them nice and white, even on a delicate cycle.

20 comments:

  1. You are the best! Thank you for that chuckle!

    I feel EXACTLY as you do about the washing machines - it drives me nuts. Then they tell you to wash your clothes with cold water to preserve their colour and reduce energy costs. No thanks - I prefer that stinky socks don't remain stinky after they've been through a wash!

    I dribble over the thought of owning front loaders lol!

    I had the same experience of having experiences contradicted just recently with your comment on my religion post too - so true - I guess we're all different - whichever side of the pond we're from and the lesson is not to generalise. Hmm - sorry for blogging on your blog here, got a bit long winded didn't I? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, clearly they are years behind (representing the totally unbiased British perspective here). I think you have a duty to re-educate those poor mistaken women of America in how to get their washing clean thus liberating them from the tyranny of the top-loader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had absolutely no idea that Amercians had top-loading washing machines! Didn't we used to have them here in the UK, in the olden days...? Actually there are two big benefits to a front-loading maching that you've not mentioned: Firstly it leaves the top free as a dumping ground for laundry, and secondly, the 'viewing window' at the front has an excellent hypnotic effect on small babies placed in bouncy chairs in front of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same thing here in France. The French say things about the Brits (and visa versa) and I think, hey glass houses.
    The French are also big on top-loading washing machines mainly because they come in narrow sizes for tiny city apartments. But it's a false premise in my view. Front-loaders are unquestionably superior: for starters you can put things on them or put them under counters.

    Word verification today: ammusn, as indeed the post was!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I haev to bite the bullet here. My mum is a stickler for hygiene, pristine washing, whiter thanwhite wwhites, AND fluffy towels. She has NEVER used fabric conditioner in her life (now age d73) cos she says it rots clothes,or matts their fibres. She ALWAYS had a toploader.And frequently bewails their demise in the UK. She reckoned they were much more efficient, and particularly spun much more effectively hence rendering towels fluffy without the need for conditioner or tumble dryers. Speaking of which, my husband was appalled that in Georgia in a glorious, sunny, dry climate EVERYONE used tumble dryers. When he questioned it & its conspicuous consumption of energy etc he was told you cdn't hang washing outside (which was regarded wth equal horror) because 'the neighbours wdn't like it' and it wd 'spoil the look of tehneighbourhood'...... By the way I alsohadn't realsied America was a'top loading' country...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need you to select me a new washing machine then, as my British one is completely rubbish: takes two hours to run a cycle and does *not* get things clean. Had a "drying" function that stopped working almost immediately (but took three hours and could only do three socks at a time so was of limited use anyways)... I terribly badly miss the stacked washer-tumble dry combo at my last American apartment which was both fast and efficient AND got things clean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant Iota! I love the fact that we are all different and how come people/cultures views situations completely differently to another. It's great to debate and argue about.

    I love your take on washing machines. I got a new one last week and I am still very much in love with it. I dread to think what that says about me. I will cherish it until it breaks down, then I will need a man to fix it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And there i have been wanting a top loader for years, will go and snuggle with my front loader now

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic! All of the American top loaders I have had (5 different ones over 9 yrs) have been rubbish. True I can chuck half of our wardrobe in them and then add half the streets and still have room for more - but it is again a case of quantity over quantity as far as actual cleanliness is concerned. I love the way my clothes seem to positively shine whenever I have a trip home and get to wash them in a front loader again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post gave me a chuckle. Growing up in Oklahoma, my mother had a front loader. It was a banner day in our household when she purchased her first top loading machine.

    Having owned several top loaders and currently a front loader, I have to say that I really see very little difference in the cleaning power. There are certain features of the front loader that I love, certain that I loathe, and it was the same with my top loader. Six of one, half a dozen of another . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. www.shesnotfromyorkshire.comMarch 6, 2009 at 6:33 AM

    Living in England I am with you on the top loader thing... I much prefer my small compact put-the-clothes-in-sideways- style washer.
    It seems more economical too.
    Never thought about it though before... leave it to you to get m thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me smiling broadly and nodding in recognition until you got to the washing machines. If loving my big energy hog of a top loader (which can clean more than a pair of jeans and a single sweatsock at a time and takes a mere 25 minutes to run through a cycle) is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a debate, one that will never be settled and that's fine. Please tell me how to get my whites to stay white and I will promise to stop talking about laundry! I just can't seem to get the clothes clean, or they don't smell clean. Should I just get over it? Any English products to recommend? Daz, or Ariel what should I be using?
    cheers ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant! We'll definitely be having you as a guest blogger over at Pond Parleys.
    I agree about the washers, but they are big here. When I'm at my mother's it takes about three loads to wash the stuff I can get into my top loader here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favorite chore is laundry. I was excited to try out the front loader when I moved to London. Wasn't so pleased...

    Once the cycle started I couldn't open the machine to throw in something overlooked. It took nearly 4 hours to run the wash and dry cycles and then the stuff wasn't even dry! I'd still have to hang the damp towels and sheets unless I ran the dryer again. Washing clothes was no longer a one day a week chore but a constant daily process since I could only fit in one bath towel and a few t-shirts at a time. Forget doing the bedding in one go. I quickly gave up using the dryer altogether but never grew accustomed to the crunchy socks and towels dried over the radiators.Sigh.

    Now back in the USA I miss so much about London and treasure my time there but I am happy to be reunited with my top loader!

    BTW, I have British guests who have come to visit and they rave about the soft towels and how fresh and clean their clothes are after a spin in the top loader!

    I will give props to the UK for tastier asian foods, chocolate candy bars, great television adverts, afternoon tea and and the wonderful free museums in London!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to say I prefer the US washing machine because it doesn't take 200 years to finish a cycle and I can fit more than 2 pairs of knickers and a vest in it.
    Mine seems to get the clothes really clean, but maybe we're a grubby lot to begin with, I don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous! Totally agree about front loaders...

    But Iota, it would be interesting to get your perspective on this, how different do you think American and British women are? Really. I'll throw French in here as well. All women. There are cultural differences, yes, and individual differences, but I think on the whole we have more that connects us than divides us (esecially mothers). Or am I just an optimist?

    ReplyDelete
  18. After 8 years here hubby caved and got me a front loader ASKO (Swedish?) washer - front loader - with a boil wash etc. It uses v little water and most of the time, I like it. But I don't love it. I get cleaner clothes but I could do with something that takes bigger loads - especially as we're out of the baby stage.
    Plus love the smells/scents of the washing powders/detergents back home.
    Wow - I really am a middle aged housewife with this comment.
    Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a transplanted Yank who grew up with top-loaders (yes, I believe I was clean as a child). Now in Belgium, had a side-loader for years until one day the drum started making thumping noises and then failed to spin. Oh dear. Mechanic told me the axis was broken, most likely from overloading. What is overloading? You cannot fill the machine more than half-way up!

    Excellent post.... Feminism comes down to laundry every time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hate being a woman as we have so much on our plates form house work and making babies.

    ReplyDelete