Saturday, March 28, 2009

Humiliation

More than just a Mother has invited us all to share our mothering humiliations. Funny thing, blogging. Imagine wanting to hang out with people who give out those kind of invitations, instead of the “drinks and nibbles” variety.

I loved her own story so much, that I feel inspired to join her in the ranks of the humiliated. (Her story tells how her pants were displayed to pewloads of church-goers, when each arm was occupied with a small twin, leaving no way of re-hoisting her trousers, except by using her teeth in some challenging yoga pose, or by asking the person in the pew behind – she doesn’t tell how the story ended, so I’ve just had to use my imagination. Perhaps, since it was in church, a miracle occurred, and the trousers hoisted themselves.)

I am cheating a little, however. This story isn’t proper humiliation, not abject squirming humiliation, because it takes place in the seclusion of my own home and with no audience. You definitely have to have an audience for proper humiliation. The trouble is, as I searched my memory for humiliation stories, of which I know there have been many over the past 12 years, I realized that Mother Nature not only plays a sneaky trick whereby you forget the realities of childbirth, but She also extends it to the realities of embarrassing moments. I suppose it’s rather merciful. So I offer you not cringing, muscle-clenching, eye-closing humiliation, but it wasn't exactly my proudest hour either.

The scene is set in our bathroom, and I’m emerging from the shower. My son, aged about 4 or 5, says

“Mummy, you know boobies?”

“Yes, I know boobies,” I reply.

“Are they meant to stick out” he asks, gesturing with small hands in front of his chest, “or sort of… sort of… hang down?” he finishes, searching for the right words, and gesturing towards my chest this time.

If any of you are ever asked this question, since I’ve had time to reflect on a good answer, here is my suggestion.

“They’re meant to hang down, but it takes some years before they reach perfection. Unfortunately, when you’re a young woman, you have to live with your sticky-outy boobies, and there’s really nothing you can do. Pert boobies are the scourge of young womanhood. You just have to resign yourself to being patient until enough years have passed for them to droop properly. It’s such a relief when they do. The lower the better.”

At the time, instead I talked about people coming in all shapes and sizes, and knew that the beautiful innocence that allowed the question to be asked, only exists in people of a very small shape and size.

16 comments:

  1. Good to know that pregnancy brings me a huuuge step closer to the ultimate boobie beauty ideal. Thanks for cheering me up!
    And thanks for your comments. I will try reflexology this week, it's not too late yet (full term is 37 weeks, so now I am 41). I really cannot bear another curry, yuck...

    ReplyDelete
  2. An inspired response and one I will store away for future reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where dangly boobs = beautiful mine are perfect. Thanks for your redefinition. I'm feeling quite upbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm- only wish I had enough to dangle. Am now feeling quite envious of your apparent breast perfection. I think if the question was asked in my house it would be 'mummy..you know boobies? why don't you have any?'

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the best answer I have ever heard! Not only do I feel good about today, but the years to come only promise greater beauty and admiration.
    I will inform my husband immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes. I fear my boobs may have already reached perfection.

    I remember 30ish years ago in Jackie magazine it said the way to check if you needed to wear a bra was to check if you could hold a pencil under your boob. I remember frantically trying to force a pencil to stay under my non-existing bosoms. Now, I could hold a couple of pencil cases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, thank you so much for this. I can report that despite never having had children, my boobies droop too.

    Combined effects of increased overall girth and gravity I think!If only a DD cup bra was as cheap and pretty as an A cup........I can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha Ha Ha! Great spin! I'll have to remember that one for if I'm ever asked. Very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "The lower the better" - that's brilliant, I must remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. very funny and i love the way you delt with it! my girls always comment on my boobies whilst i'm in the shower.....only time will tell when they decided to address the size and shape issue!

    amy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the pencil test! And I was distraught when I couldn't hold one under - if only I'd known back then that a few years later I'd be able to hold a whole pencil case!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A pencil case? I could hold a purse, now that DD tuned into F for the purpose of nursing. A long flat F. If my boobies were a song I don't think they'd be on the radio. How wonderful to think that little girls might envy my stature and status!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have a mirror in my bedroom preciously for this reason. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hee, hee! Delurking here to say I enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LMAO no doubt you have done all future women in your sons life a huge favour!

    BTW I just noted on another blog, that you grew up in Chesham! Well I went to Chesham Preparatory School about 35 yrs ago and my first job was as a Dental Nurse on Church St!! Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha ha. As you know from my post, I humiliate myself in front of my kids on an almost daily basis!
    Glad to learn my boobs are perfect tho'.

    ReplyDelete