Thursday, April 2, 2009

Memory lapse

You know how you sometimes put something down somewhere, and then just can't find it? Or have a telephone number scribbled down on a piece of paper, but just can't find the right piece? I've done that with a blog post.

I came across a very interesting blog post, but just skimmed it, thinking "I'll read that later", but I now can't remember whose it was. I'm not sure it was one of my usual reads, so I'm afraid I might not stumble across it again. It was addressing the issue of how women of the "Sex and the City" generation (not quite my own advanced vintage, I have to confess) might need to adjust the way they talk about men, now they have boys of their own. I thought it was a really interesting point. The bit I read talked about how there is a generation of women who are comfortable being sassy, independent and man-equal, who have no problem teaching their small daughters that Girl Power is their birthright, but who might be struggling to help their boys, even as they crawl and toddle, to find a way of being men. Fascinating.

So if you're reading this, and you recognise your blog post, could you declare yourself? Even if you're not the author, if you recognise the post, could you point me in the right direction? I'd like to read it properly.

Now, where did I put down my cup of tea?

10 comments:

  1. No idea, but recognise the concept - I have to keep remembering not so say "He's such a boy" whenever my 18 month old son does something daft, or that involves only eating or hitting something. And he has a vocabulary of about zero, when his sister had 150 words at this age. He smiles more, though.

    Love
    Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do that all the time...especially skilled at losing keys.

    Have a look in your browser history and you should find it.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let us know when you find it, as it sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't you just use the history feature of the web browser to retrace your online steps?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a blessed clue, but I'd like to read the post if you ever manage to track it down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much Nota Bene and Notfrom. It worked! I didn't know the browser history recorded your every move from domesday till now. Wow. It's like a small potted history of my family's life. Great chunks of Harry Potter video games on Amazon. Chunks of what looks like serious scientific enquiry in the field of genetics (older son's attempt to find online the homework worksheet he left at school - successful attempt, as it turned out). Polly Pocket and Barbie games online. Husband sneakily browsing second hand books. And it seems there's someone in the house who visits a few blogs too.

    Anyway, I found it. It's here http://www.perfectlyhappymum.typepad.com/. The date of the post was March 18th. I'd got it a bit wrong, though. It doesn't talk about how to raise confident boys in a man-eating post-Spice-Girls world. Sorry to disappoint you boy-mums who thought there was some useful stuff coming your way.

    Perhaps I should write that post myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you found the post, and yes you should write the one you mentioned yourself. A fascinating idea. I have two daughters so don't have to worry about raising boys, but occasionally I do wonder if I overdo the 'women can do everything' concept. Is that possible?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you read 'Raising Boys' by Steve Biddulph? (He's written 'Raising Girls' too, which I keep meaning to read). It's an excellent insight into what makes boys tick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, lots of interesting information can be from from the history of your web views...

    But back to your memory lapse. This happens to me all the time. Bits of an interesting conversation will come to mind, and for the life of me I can't remember who told me (or if I read it somewhere). Arrrgghh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, write the post, Iota! Will check out the one you thought was about the stuff you 'should' write a post about! By the way, can you tell me who is the bloggy mum who has moved to South Africa & has a smallholding etc, outside Cape Town? I found it via another blog & can't remember where or who it was etc. Thought you might know!

    ReplyDelete