Sunday, April 5, 2009

Boy talk

Oh dear, I’m well and truly hoist on my own petard on this one. No way out of it but to write my own post on raising boys in the post Girl Power era.

We are all very careful these days to bring our girls up to think the world is open to them. We call those stiff-jointed Playmobil people ‘firefighters’ not ‘firemen’, we carefully play female doctors with them, we explain how Barbie’s body shape is just for plastic people, not for real people. We try to be good role models, emphasizing that choice is all. We try to compensate for the generations of mothers who told their daughters “you can’t, you’re only a girl”.

Do we try as carefully for our boys? The scales have been weighted so far in their favour for so many generations, and we’ve been busy trying to redress the balance. Perhaps we need to pay attention to whether we may have started tipping them the other way.

I don’t really know where I’m going with this thought (which is why I was keen to read what someone else had written). It IS still a man’s world out there, for all the great strides that feminism has enabled women to take. But it’s not a boy’s world. It’s well documented that schools are places where girls naturally do better, and that is very evident at primary level. We prefer pupils who write neatly, colour between the lines, produce careful work, sit quietly when requested. What value do we place on the ability to figure out how things work by taking them apart, even if that means strewing the pieces around? Do we see the creative imagination behind a story about zombies in scrawling inch-high letters, when it’s on the classroom wall next to the ones about flowers and butterflies, in tiny beautiful writing with darling illustrations? Do we value the drive that makes it so important to be the fastest runner in the playground, or do we smirk to each other “boys are SO competitive” and make them play co-operatively instead?

I fear it starts long before school. As Someonesmrs commented, it’s all too easy for a gaggle of mums to denigrate boy-ness in a jokey way, saying “he’s such a boy” when a child does something daft. We say to each other “huh, men, typical” in front of our small children, and expect them to understand that we don’t really mean it, or not in a bad way at any rate. Do we take pains to make sure we say just as often “huh, women, typical”? I don’t think so.

I know I’ve told the story to girlfriends about the day Husband declared in exasperation “I can’t look after two children AND cook the dinner at the same time”, and enjoyed a communal girl laugh at his expense. Have I been careful not to tell the story in front of my boys? Is it really such a given that men can’t multi-task (yes), and if it is, do I want my sons to feel they’re second best because of it? I would be horrified if I thought my daughter felt second best because women are more emotional, or scatty, or liked shoes. I absolutely wouldn’t want Husband joking around with his friends about my womanly inadequacies in front of her, (and luckily he’s far too nice).

I suppose the bottom line is that children tend to pick up and internalize their parents’ attitudes. So if I think that girls should look pretty and keep quiet, marry doctors and not be them, then my daughters will assume that as the norm until they are of such an age when they can bring their own adult discernment to bear (and even then, they’ll still be deeply affected by it). If I, clad in my post-feminist war-paint, believe that it’s time men paid for the easy privileges they’ve enjoyed in the past, once we’ve scraped them off the soles of our shoes, then my sons will somehow have that burden put upon them. And actually my daughters too.

There we are. Petard duly hoisted with me on it. Did any of it strike a chord with anyone? Personally, I’m more the Bridget Jones generation than the Sex and the City generation. I was already a mother by the time the Spice Girls were telling men they had to get with their friends. So I’m not the best person to pontificate on girl power. Anyway, I’m too busy entertaining children AND cooking dinner.

10 comments:

  1. Oh wow. Am I glad you commented on my blog and I came over and read your brilliant piece on Boy Talk. Superb. So agree... we drop all these sentences, like malignant crumbs, into our children's lives, and hope they dont hear them. So often do I hear friends say, Men. Hah.
    I am a teacher and am involved at the moment with trying to get boys to be boys, and learn at the same time. We are even thinking of having a Super Hero table going in the classroom! Using their interests and passions to help their learning. And oh, how I felt for your husband on saying he couldnt cook dinner and look after chilren! I would have laughed too... long and hard. But he's right... he cant. He's male and they do things one at a time, and well. Usually!
    Oh, I could go on for days. Off now to read other things on your blog. This post was excellent. Get it published, Please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, so true!

    I've had a few attempts to write the rest of this comment, and can't get it right. There is too much to say. We do denigrate men, regularly and seem to think that our boys will not be affected by it. We do look longingly at girls sitting quietly and colouring in, trying to stop our boys from running and shouting. We send them to schools and nurseries dominated by women, where they do activities that girls tend to excel at.

    But it is difficult. The concept that I can look after two children and cook dinner is not acceptable. It is possible - you do it on a daily basis. But similarly my concept that I can't fix the gate is also not acceptable. I can. I guess the art is going to be imparting to our children the idea that they can do whatever they set their minds too - whether it is a pink or a blue job. Guess that goes for daughters as well as sons.

    Now.. how to do it... hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. My place of employment (in Britain) is 6% female and 94% male and almost all of the women that work there are childless, which is always going to leave me on the edge of the war-paint feminist types; as long as the world continues to look this way, I'm going to continue to think that any ideas that we need to work harder with our boys are simply the latest fad in child-rearing. It is a man's world regardless of the feminists and the efforts they have put in over the last century.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Do we take pains to make sure we say just as often "huh, women, typcial"? I'm not sure we need to take pains, it's done for us any way by a society (men AND women)that still laughs about women drivers, women who can't read maps, dumb blondes, Essex girls etc etc. I also suspect that a positive male characteristic is the ability to shrug off the same comments that could slay a woman and reduce her confidence to below zero.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of food for thought there, Iota. I will now be desperately self-editing before I speak to my little boy in the morning.Thankyou.

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is interesting food for thought, and being a feminist with a child of each gender I look forward to seeing how it all pans out. However I can already clearly see that the world is still very much slated towards boys and their place in the world as doers and achievers. Why else are all their clothes adorned in the symbolism of action, adventure and knowledge (surfing, sports, superheroes, dinosaurs, marine life with accompanying facts) whereas girls' clothes are either passive and decorative (flowers, kittens, sequins etc) or disturbingly, precociously sexual, which amounts to pretty much the same thing.
    The answer to this is not to make our boys feel bad about themselves, however, and to pay penance for the sins of their forefathers. Perhaps it is to make an entire generation of new people aware of how things are for both genders so that they are able to understand and communicate with each other as people, not as girls vs. boys, or men vs women

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting post, Iota. There has been a lot of debate recently on how modern advertising demeans men (they are often portrayed as stupid, gullible, etc while the woman is the clever one). I hadn't thought about how that prevailing attitude would affect little boys.

    Mind you, my boys think Mummy is fairly useless and Daddy can do everything. Every time something goes wrong in the house and I can't fix it, they say: "Oh dear, get Daddy."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, it's the opposite in my house whenever something goes wrong, the call is 'mummy will fix it' - even when the car broke down once our 6 year old son said to his dad: "shall we phone mummy first to see if she knows what's wrong?"
    That's my boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, and very relevant. Not sure that I don't commit some of those gaffes myself - will try and keep a lid on them from now on. I can't be doing too badly though - both my sons loudly declare most days that they hate pink, and if one magics the other into a princess it's definitely taken as an insult...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting post. And something I have been thinking about recently too. It is true that we are in danger of having a disaffected generation of boys who feel outskilled by the girs.

    At work I try not to reinforce gender stereotypes in my subject (eg girls are good at numbers, boys are good at spatial awareness) and, although there are some very clear differences in behaviour, handwriting, learning methods, etc, I hope I don't denigrate the boys for their boisterousness and illegible work!

    Then at home I wonder what gender roles my daughter is picking up on. Luckily, with both of us working full time, we both pitch in with the housework so she sees housework as just something to be done, not a woman's job although I do end up doing more as I am at home more. But this week she told someone that "Mummy doesn't wash cars, it's daddy's job" Hmmmmm.......

    ReplyDelete