Sunday, March 15, 2009

It's a sign

Inspired by Long Aye-lander in Glasgow who is always posting photos of interesting signs and graffiti, I photographed an example from our neighborhood that I thought you’d enjoy. Here’s a picture which shows you the location (you can see I took it a while ago, when it was snowy).



It’s a set of four posts with reflective diamonds on top, to warn drivers that they’re approaching this T-junction, and that if they don’t stop, not only do they risk hitting cars on the road in front, but they will also end up in that ditch. (I so wanted to say ‘creek’ because that’s all American and Tom Sawyer-ish, and I just like the sound of the word, but truth and honesty compelled me to use the word ‘ditch’. Much less romantic, but we’re talking real life here.)

Then you need the close-up, to see what those letters spell out.



And there you have it. One of those moments in my life when I think “yes, there truly is a God”. You see, I’d had a particularly grotty morning that day. One of those mornings when you don’t even have an excuse for being moody and horrible. Just a grotty miserable morning. The sight of that graffiti made me laugh out loud, in the comfortable privacy of my minivan. It honestly did.

I like to think it must sometimes be fun to be God. Not much of the time, what with all the sadness and suffering and anguish in the world. But sometimes. I like to think of Her looking down, and thinking “Iota. She’s having a bad morning. Ooh, that’s a tough one. She’s not going to be impressed by those Bible verse bumper stickers that I get the local Christians to put on their cars. Oh no. Those just irritate her. What is it with her, anyway? Those bumper stickers cheer a lot of folk up, even if she thinks they’re annoying. I should know. I’m all-seeing and all-knowing. But not Iota, and ooh my goodness, certainly not Iota on a morning like this. Ah, I’ve got a good idea (though I say it myself). I’ll get her to drive down Hampson Street, and that fart graffiti will maybe give her laugh. Lighten the atmosphere a little. I knew it would come in useful when I got those kids to head out with their spray cans the other day. Yes. The fart graffiti. I’ll try that. Left indicator. Left indicator. Left, left, left. Turn here. Yup, there she is, on her way. Better get back to World Peace again – rather a trickier nut to crack that one.”

You can see I’ve just finished reading The Shack. You mean you haven’t yet? I thought I was pretty much the only one left when I did.

14 comments:

  1. What, you haven't read the Shack?! Gaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

    Love
    Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the Shack either. Should I? I'm still deliberating..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think that FART would have made me laugh too. I think the fact that it's been particularly well thought out appeals too...you know, they've had to think of a four letter word...and let's face it, there are worse ones...
    I have no idea what The Shack is. I shall follow the link and check it out.

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least it say FART, if it was around here it would say something worse, believe me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, replied in haste. You HAVE read the Shack. Why didn't you tell me? FABBY wonderful. Even my husband read (half of) it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. funny signs. i saw one last fall--a big TRUCKS HAULING sign, and someone had written "ass" underneath. hahaha

    a ditch and a creek are not the same thing, by the way.

    a ditch is generally dry. it might have water in it from spring runoff or something (and then it would be described as a "water-filled ditch") but a creek is like a rivulet, a small stream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah those American suburbs - don't they all look the same. That could be anywhere in Chicagoland.
    Anyway, your post reminds me of the time I was sitting (grumpy) in my car at a toll booth, and the guy in front had BOLLOX on his license plate. No one else got it, but when he saw me laughing my head off he gave me a huge thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read The Shack. This is like the 10th place I have seen it mentioned though so it makes me wonder what I am missing out on....

    ReplyDelete
  9. As someone who defected from North America many years ago, I can fully appreciate the intended (or better yet often UNintended humour) that living in the U.S. of bleedin' A. provides...
    Mostly I am supremely jealous of the fact that you can go down to your local supermarket at any given time and procure some ROOT BEER (sigh), or mini white marshmallows, or Skippy Light peanut butter...does that make me shallow or just a Junk Food Junkie?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a wonderful Old English? Trad English? Colloquial darling?

    What the Heck - Fart is a wonderful, onomatopoeic word.

    Yes, I have been consulting my Concise Oxford Dictionary (circa 1982, it includes such modern, for then, terms as Cruise Missile and Ayatollah)

    Hope you have a happy Friday and a good Weekend, Mickle in Wellington. NZ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes God cracks me up. Especially when she talks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the UK the sign which says
    "Humped zebra crossing".
    The Shack?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love those moments when there is an unexpected language barrier. One of the boys in my son's nursery class is called Denial (Daniel in the local language). Everytime I saw his coat hanger I got the giggles, imagine giving birth and still being in denial. I know how she felt!

    Love the idea of someone with BOLLOX as a licence plate. That would have tickled me for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. FART always provokes a chuckle. As do farts themselves, as long as I'm not standing too close.

    ReplyDelete