Thursday, March 26, 2009

Identity crisis

I’m typing this with 4-yo sitting on my lap. She has just stapled round the perimeter of a piece of paper, very prettily, and is now copying out words that I am writing for her. She turns 5 tomorrow, and we’ve just had a conversation about the fact that this is her fifth birthday. It needed clarifying, because we’d had a conversation earlier about how she is kind of having 2 birthdays, what with taking cookies into preschool on the ACTUAL day, but having her party on the NEXT day, because it’s a Saturday, and I could see that her mind was heading down a path that involved having 5 birthdays all in a row, so that her fifth birthday would be next Tuesday, with continuous celebration till then.

So why am I telling you this? I’ll confess. I’m feeling the need to reassert my mummy blogger credentials. For those of you outside the Members’ Enclosure that is the mummy blogging world, let me tell you that there’s a quiet but busy revolution going on among British mummy bloggers. Look at the pretty new button on my sidebar (or, until I've managed to upload it, click here). There have been mummies blogging in Britain for ages, of course, but the creative Modern Mother has set up a ning (which is a new one on me, and may be what the Monty Python Knights who say 'ni' were trying to say), which has got everyone more organised. It's a happening kind of a place. I say “Members’ Enclosure”, but that’s not a fair comparison, because the British Mummy Bloggers isn’t an exclusive site. Anyone can join. Even Dads. Ah. Dads. I wish I hadn’t started on that “Members’ Enclosure” analogy.

What about me, though? Am I a mummy blogger? The original purpose and identity of this blog was to write about my experiences of adjusting to life in America, so no. I’m an expat blogger. But inevitably much, most, of my experience has been related to being a mum. So with that, I’m a mummy blogger. I love reading other mummy blogs. I love hearing about the antics of your kids, sharing your joys and woes, puzzling over your requests for advice, laughing at your humiliations, saying a big “Ay-men” to your insights. If you all lived in my town, I tell you, we’d have a ball.
But there’s this. I am very soon going to be a mummy blogger without a preschooler. Of course that doesn’t make me any less of a mummy. Of course not. But it’s a fact that the great mass of mummy blogging is to do with that intense phase of life, when we try to make sense of the awesome responsibility of bringing this small person into the world, a phase full of highlights, struggles, and unbelievable amounts of wee, poo and vomit.

What am I trying to say? Being the perceptive bloggers you are, you’ve probably worked out that this isn’t really about my identity as a mummy blogger. It’s about my identity as a mummy. It’s about having made the transition from mummy to mum (and long ago). It’s about not being in touch enough to have an opinion on the best stroller to buy. It’s about not remembering what routines my babies were in at what ages (or not, as the case may have been). It’s about smiling at a woman with a baby in the checkout queue, and saying “what a gorgeous baby”, and realizing, when she politely responds “how old is your little girl?”, that we don’t have an immediate conversational common ground. She knows that (what a mysterious and closed world is the world of a 4 year old, when you have just embarked on a small baby!), but I’ve properly realized it only recently. I’ve noticed in passing plenty of times along the way, of course I have. Part of the mother’s job description is to be painfully aware of time whizzing by faster than you can say “bugaboo” (and incidentally, they weren’t around when I bought my pram, and yes, it was a pram in those days, which converted into a pushchair, a pram/pushchair, not a buggy, stroller, or complete travel system). I tell you, though, it feels very different when you’re staring into the jaws of the school application form of your youngest child.

At this point my expat blogger side wants to butt in. “I’ve got something to say here. My turn. You should tell them how different that is, over here. In Britain, they’ve had their kids in preschool funded by the government since their third birthdays, and the kids start school at 4 or 5. Here, lots of kids don’t go to preschool at all, and school starts at 5 or 6. The whole 0 – 6 realm has a different feel to it. Starting school is a bigger deal, a bigger milestone for the mothers. You can explain how you don’t have a green card, so can’t go out to work. You can justify yourself here, Mummy-side, if you let me get a word in edgeways.”

Actually, Expat-side is feeling quite aggrieved. You see, this whole post started off as hers. It was going to be a short little piece, about the fact that 4-yo had asked me to write out ‘Mom’ for her to copy, and how I’d had to decide whether to write ‘Mom’ or ‘Mum’ (I wrote ‘Mom’). Then Mummy-side completely took over. She started out by establishing her multi-tasking credentials (look at that very first sentence) – an old mummy blogger favourite. Then she followed up with a cute story about her child (that first paragraph) – another mummy blogger staple. Then she was away, as if to say “Identity crisis? What identity crisis? She may be 5 tomorrow, but I’m not finished. Oh no. I’m not leaving the Enclosure yet.”

22 comments:

  1. I too am having an identity crisis. I soooo get where you are coming from. Who are we, us expat Moms/Mums? Where do we fit in? Where are we going and have we got a map? By some freak of round the world mind reading you and I have posted the same theme on the same day. My thoughts are definitely with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a humourous writing style - you pull me along with each sentence putting a broader smile on my face!

    I have to maintain a double identity - it's exhausting :) Here, I embrace my 'momness' - it's what my kids call me. I feel like I have one foot firmly planted in two worlds - the Irish world and the US world - and I interchange my language to suit whichever direction I'm facing at the time - it just makes life easier.

    If I say pram here I may as well be speaking double dutch - and when I say stroller in conversation with those at home I am mocked for becoming all 'Yank' - So, I have two identities - an Irish one, and an Irish American one and it works - for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hear Hear Iota! Johnny Drama will be off to school full time in Sept and part of me CAN NOT WAIT. But another part of me is wondering what on earth I am going to do with all that free time. I guess our sitation is a little different - he will only be 4 but will be going to Chicago's British School, which uses the UK entrance age. So like the proper British mums I will be relinquishing my 4 yr old to the schooling system even tho I am an expat and many of the American parents just look at me with a raised eyebrow at even considering letting him go to school so young. My blog is also very schizophrenic. Part mummy blurting. Part expat whinging. Part single mum adapting. There is no rhyme or reason or sense to it most of the time. Like my good self I should add.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you need is an 18 month old godson. Oh, what, you've got one? Would you like to look after him, say half a day a week? Only I'm too broke for a nursery and it's a year before I launch him at pre-school. What, an ocean apart you say? Hmmm.... I could tell you lots of his cute things and delay your disappearance into school-mum smugness (yes that DOES exist, it's where you go like most of my friends who don't have toddlers any more! when you start blow drying your hair again and wearing makeup and not wearing clothes that don't need ironing and don't show up the vomit. And read books and are capable of conversation)

    Love
    Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want an identity crisis. I know exactly who I am. And I hate it. However, the fart graffiti in your previous post did, miraculously, take me into a better, funnier world for a few minutes. So thank you for that. PS I also saw a wonderful cartoon showing Anita Brookner, fag in hand, sensible skirt on, telling a joke as a stand up comedian. It started, 'There was a Scottish spinster, an Irish spinster and a Welsh spinster,' and that made me almost as happy. Ok, I'm just weird, aren't I. PS how is your husband's thinking going? Tell him that I, and thousands of others, am/are counting on him, but not to feel under too much pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started my blog as an expat-blog but it morphed in to a Mummy blog, and I'm having the same crisis that I want it to be a 'Mummy' blog but it's inevitably a 'Mommy' blog!

    Personally I don't think you have to a preschooler to qualify as a 'Mummy Blog', just a parent. After all, 5 yr olds even 15 yr olds say hilarious things that need to be shared with the world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, thank heavens for that. For a while there I thought you might hang up your mummy blogging wet-wipe and moving onto the grown up world of expat blogging... But wait. Can't you be both? Pleeeaaase? (Does that make you feel enough like a mum, btw?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have multiple identities. My motherly ones (and there are others!) are Mom, Mommy, and Momma, and very occasionally when the kids are kissing up I'm Mummy! Occasionally I'm a mommy blogger, but mostly I try to keep the kids out of the blogging. I'm not always successful at that though as sometimes they do stuff that just screams out "Blog this!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to ask your expat side about the decision to write 'mom' rather than 'mum' - that's a hard one.

    And I enjoy reading your blog, for all your different thoughts - expat and mummy related.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think identity crises are an intrinsic part of motherhood. Possibly of womanhood. Somewhere underneath the mummy, the ex-pat, the wife, the daughter and so on, there's just you. Sometimes she's hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You'd better not leave the enclosure! We'd have to brainwash you and prevent you, like some kind of cult.

    I think it's all too easy to pigeon hole ourselves as 'mummy bloggers' when actually most of us write about far more than just parenting. Ditto the expat blogger label (although arguably I am about to join it). Perhaps it should just be 'women bloggers?'

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just requested an Enclosure ticket - crossing fingers!
    Then I saw your post today.
    I have no idea who or what I am but sort of muddle along a bit like my blog.
    And a PS:Thank you Thank you Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Iota. Love the post. I have an identity crisis...ooh...probably 3 times a day. And I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Mummy blogger until I became one. And I'm even starting to like it!! BTW, my eldest daughter started school last September and, trust me, there are still ten million things to write about now she's a 'big girl'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think our in-depth knowledge of all thing children moves with our children's ages. My friend's daughter is about two years younger than mine and she often calls me to say 'L is crawling now' or 'Should L be talking yet' and so on, and I cannot remember when these things happen. I have to look back at Rosemary's baby blog to find out when she started to crawl or walk or talk (and my, how useful it is to have that reference!). Next year, I'll be asking her the same questions, and she'll have forgotten by then, and replaced that knowledge with the wonders of when to potty train and how to cope with a demanding two-year old.

    I don't think you'll run out of parenting things to blog about (though I'm equally interested in the whole expat thing, too, so won't stop reading if you do!); you'll just have different angles.

    On the school-starting age question, I'm fascinated by the differences in school-starting ages and the lack or presence of good pre-school programmes. I don't think that anyone seems to have it right, because I think different children have different needs. I have friends who are concerned about the young age we start school here; while I know Rosemary will be more than ready - she'd be ready this September, really and will certainly lap up the almost full-time pre-school she'll get. My cousin, who is now an American, sends her two children to a Montesorri (don't think I spelt that right!) school, where they take them from three, because her children were more than ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Having a nearly five year old myself I can totally identify with the transition from mummy to mum. I feel like I'm supposed to be a knowledgable mum now, but really I am still learning how to do this parenting thing. I guess it will be a lifetime of learning!

    PS I, like Little Britainer, would love to know your thoughts and feelings about choosing 'mom', I'm having a hard enough time adjusting to 'mum' rather than 'mummy'!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hmm. we women are all lots of things, perhaps. (and school? doesn't happen for us, aged 9. identities: adventurers, explorers, off to sea without a paddle, engine, sails, or anchor.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. To those who want to know why I picked "mom" over "mum", it was simply this. When 5-yo goes to kindergarten and learns to read and write, they will be teaching her "mom". I was trying to keep life simple for her.

    Before I came here, I had a friend who asked me repeatedly how I felt about becoming "Mom" (I think they thought it was humourous, and didn't realise what a raw nerve was underneath). The honest truth is, that I haven't minded at all. The difference in sound is minimal. Both Mum and Mom end up sounding like Mahm somehow - slightly longer vowel sound with Mom, but really not very that different at all.

    So it's only when I see it written down, but it doesn't bother me at all. I anticipated that it would, but it doesn't. And in fact my middle one calls me Mama, which I suppose is the replacement for Mummy, and I don't even mind that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "...not very that different at all..." Oops. I think you get my meaning though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Ay-men!" I totally identify with this post (and many of the other comments). I may have set out to focus on my life as an expat, but inevitably my posts (at least the latest ones) have become very "poo-centric." But then I think that's just another part of who I am at this stage of my life. Anyway, I do enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I guess I will have to join the ranks of commenters & put my hand up & say "Actually I'm having an identity crisis too" My daughter is 5 nxt month, she goes to school in Sept. I've been v grateful they go to school a yr later here than in britain. And I feel v v bereft. I really didn't want the baby stage to end so soon. Buthaving only 2 means blink & it's gone. I too was going to blog about it. Maybe I Still will.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm the opposite of you, and maybe that's why I love your blog so much. I decided acceptbeing in Rome as well and I write "mum" so as not to confuse. I even don't mind the accent.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, wonderful. Now I know where to come when I need a cup of tea and a good read. Fabulous. So glad have found you!

    ReplyDelete