Monday, February 2, 2009

Picture this

Everyone is playing this picture tag game, and Nappy Valley Girl has tagged me. The rules are:

Go to the 4th folder in your computer where you store your pictures
Pick the 4th picture in that folder
Explain the picture
Tag 4 people to do the same.

This is very exciting, since there is something I've been meaning to write about and show you all for ages and ages, and haven't got round to it, and now I have to. This involved a small amount of cheating, but very minor stuff. You will see, when I explain the first 3 attempts.

1) The 4th folder wasn't a folder at all, but an icon which was a short-cut to opening Mozilla Firefox. So I just ended up on the BBC World News home page. I deleted the icon. What was it doing there anyway?

2) The new 4th folder contained lots of different pictures of a soccer ball, downloaded from the internet. The folder title was "11-yo's soccer logos". I didn't think that was very interesting for you all, so gave myself permission to pass on.

3) The next folder was titled "11-yo's aeroplane pictures". There were only 3 pictures in it, so I could pass on without even being guilty of cheating.

So on the 4th attempt at finding the 4th picture in the 4th folder, I found this.



Here is the story behind it. When we moved into our new home, in April 2006, having moved half a world, camped out with the sister of one of Husband's colleagues for 2 weeks, and rented a small duplex for 4 months, we wanted to do something special in the children's bedroom. It seemed important. Our two youngest were sharing the largest room.

Husband had bought a painting done by one of his students (he's a Philosophy teacher, but as you probably know, a US degree covers a whole range of subjects, so this girl was an art major taking one of his philosophy classes). I really loved it. It showed a boat on a lake, and was dreamy and impressionist. "Do you think she does murals?" I asked Husband, and that's how it all started.

This was Mylissa's first mural. We weren't very easy clients, or perhaps we were ideal clients, in that we didn't really have a clear idea of what we wanted. I just asked for it to be dreamy and impressionist, and of the sea. Oh how I missed the sea, which we could view from our bedroom window in the house we'd left in Scotland. We painted the room blue, she brought lots of pictures from books and websites, we told her which ones we liked and which we didn't, and she made a start.

It was a mutually very happy arrangement. Mylissa took her time (um, nearly 4 months actually - in sporadic evenings and week-end afternoons) during which period the room pretty much became her studio, and the 2 children slept on our bedroom floor. She didn't charge us nearly enough, and wouldn't. She had most of the vision, but we would chip in our ideas: how about a bird here, or a few fish there? We had a lot of fun doing it, and I loved seeing an artist at work. What a mysterious world is the world of the painter.

We couldn't have been more pleased with the result. The mural is on 3 walls. There's a tropical island, with a sunset and dolphins. There's a boy's side of the room, with a shipwreck (in the photo above), and a sailing boat in the distance. There's a girl's side, with mermaids lazily investigating a treasure chest, and a hazy castle in the clouds. Deep down, I know the mural is really for me, not for the children, although they do love it too.

Mylissa did a couple of murals after ours, but then went off to Hollywood to do clever things with Blu-Ray. Her creativity was, in a way, a key to unlocking some element of mine, which is something else I need to tell you about. Another time. Meanwhile, it's very hard to do the mural justice, but I thought you'd like to see a few more photos of it.











Here's a close-up of that wreck. I was going to say "you can't really see the detail", but you can if you click on it. It's worth a look.


Mylissa added a little Pikachu just by the door of the room (he's a Pokemon for those of you who don't know). We discussed putting him on the sailing boat or the island, or letting him hang out with the mermaids, but for the sake of artisitic integrity, she found him a spot out of the picture.


I am tagging Elsie Button, Potty Mummy, Expatmum, and Antique Mommy. And Pig in the Kitchen which makes 5. It's the new 4. Didn't you know? (But Pig, you're not allowed a food photo; it's got to be something else.)

14 comments:

  1. What a cool mural. My girls are obsessed with mermaids. Any chance the artist will be in the UK any time soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic mural, and she was clearly a talented artist. So much better than boring wallpaper! Some relations of ours have beautiful garden mural in their dining room - it really does add character to the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow how fabulous. I hand-painted whimsical fairies on my daughter's room in our last house. They were still there when we moved but I know the new owners painted over them. What will happen to this masterpiece?
    BTW thanks for the tag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you'll never want to come home :-(
    Love
    Josephine
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, they are amazing. What a fabulous thing to have on your walls.
    Like NVG said, so much better than wallpaper

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's amazing! You'll never be able to leave that house. I'm not sure I'd ever want to leave that room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How utterly utterly fantastic. And lovely. Dreamy indeed. Perfect for a bedroom. How does the landlord feel? Fab idea, especially being on 3 walls. Pictorial surround sound.
    Just a sa postscript, the word verification is Allfoly (read FOLLY) Perfect:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful mural. I would love to have something like that and, even more so, would love to be able to create something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Thanks for the tag - i haven't forgotten... i am just confused (thick) about what it means by 4th folder... i have folders placed haphazardly all over the place and so am not sure what my 4th folder would be. maybe i will cheat and just choose a pic i like!

    ReplyDelete
  10. no no no please ignore me. i have worked it out. 4th folder in picture folder, and then 4th picture. I have found the 4th picture and i didn't even have to cheat! i will post it up when i get a chance

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fantastic! I'd love something similar in daughter's bedroom, but at the moment she's just got Thomas the Tank stickarounds. Maybe next time we decorate ......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool. I guess we won't see a pic of you anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that's gorgeous. I bet the kids love it.

    ReplyDelete