Thursday, February 12, 2009

Blogging and Margaret Thatcher

One of the things I love about blogging is how it’s really just an extended conversation with a bunch of friends. You see, I’m sitting here saying “now where were we? Ah yes. Margaret Thatcher.” It feels to me like we were chatting away over coffee, everyone chipping in, and I was just about to say a big thank you to you all for dropping by, and then the doorbell rang. It was an award being delivered. So then I had to show off the award, decide who to pass it on to, and just as I was rewinding to what I really wanted to talk about, there was a phone call, about a picture meme. I’d been dying to show off my mural to you all anyway, so I had to dig out some pictures and pass them round. So here I am, still drawing breath, and still saying “where were we?”

Perhaps this is why blogging is such comfortable territory to people with small children. Which of you hasn’t had a conversation along the following lines?

“It’s not the same as going out after work for a drink and chatting to someone all evening. Huh. Lucky if we get an hour before ‘someone’ gets tired and we have to head home.”

“Yup, and it’s not like it’s proper conversation anyway. [Sigh] I guess that’s just one more skill we all develop. The art of talking while chasing a snotty-nosed toddler round the room with a tissue. Come here, you.”

“Right. They never warned us how we’d have to talk in two-sentence chunks all the time. Share nicely please. I mean, it’s fine. You get used to it. I said ‘Share’. But it’s not the same. Anyway, what were you saying about your mother-in-law’s ingrowing toenails? If you can’t take turns, we’ll have to put that Postman Pat V-Tech learn your shapes and colours talking boomerang right away. Surgery?”

Those of us who are a bit longer in the motherhood tooth no longer even have the novelty of self-congratulatory awareness that we are doing new things. Get me. I’m so multi-tasking. We’re the ones who would now probably struggle to talk to the same colleague for a whole evening and would be thinking of a way to leave the pub politely. We merely furrow our brows, and search each other’s faces in companionable memory-lapse silence, until one of us says “Margaret Thatcher”, and the other slaps the table, takes a gulp of tepid coffee, and replies:

“Yes. Margaret Thatcher. Well, I loved everyone’s comments, and what an interesting read they made. As for my own opinion, well, it rather changed as a result of the debate. I’ll even confess to lying awake at night not being able to sleep for thoughts of Margaret Thatcher.

I started off with several of you, thinking she wasn’t a proper woman, because she got to the top by being like a man. Then I realized what a very unfeminist position that is. We women really are our own worst enemies. I mean, what would I want a woman Prime Minister to be? Someone younger, more attractive, more fashionable, whose choice of outfit would make the news alongside her policies? Or a mother of young children, so we could all smugly wonder whether she found time to help her children learn their spellings in between meetings at Number 10 and voting at the House of Commons? How we love to do down women who achieve. Yes, we are our own worst enemies. This article, put my way by A Modern Mother, says it so well. It’s about Rachida Dati, the French politician who took five days’ maternity leave when she had her baby. Five days. I can't even imagine... But I don't need to. She's not me. She doesn't have my life, I don't have hers. That's the point.

So I have shifted. I now think Margaret Thatcher was a proper woman (handbag and all). I think she found her way, fought her way, to where she wanted to be, regardless of her gender. She was a feminist without having a feminist agenda. And yes, I think it did make a difference. I don’t think she was exactly a role model, but having a woman PM did prove to us all that no sphere of life could any longer be considered the sole preserve of men.

I’ve just created a picture of her for myself (and this is pure whimsy) losing her thread, and scanning Geoffrey Howe’s face in a moment of silence, before slapping the cabinet room table and exclaiming 'The Single European Currency. Yes. I knew there was something else I wanted to talk to you about.'"

17 comments:

  1. Yes, where were we? I've just been back to read some of the comments on Margaret Thatcher again. You have to admire that fact that we are still talking about her, and not just as a female PM, nearly 20 years after she left office. Whether you agreed with her politics or not,she was a strong character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually met Ms Thatcher 10 years ago and was amazed by 2 things. One, that she is tiny to the point of almost being midgetlike. And two, that she has a presence that was impossible to ignore. I hadn't given much thought to her before that meeting - just on a superficial level of dismissing her hair, her clothes, her voice and her overall manner. But that meeting changed my attitude on so many levels. I jump to conclusions about people all the time and am all too ready to dismiss them based on some trait that doesn't sit quite so readily with me. It's good to get called on it once in a while and experience a 180 degree turnaround!

    Loved the post - so many points that I can relate to on every level. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funnily enough, I heard a nice anecdote about Margaret Thatcher on TV today. When she was PM she went to visit - I think they said Iraq - and she rang ahead to the embassy to ask if they could bring in a local hairdresser to do her hair. They made the point on TV that it was so nice that she used a local hairdresser, unlike so many famous people who take their own with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs Thatcher was quite simply an inspiration to all women, everywhere. She got where she did by hard work and self-belief, she didnt have money, a posh family, political connections or any other head start. Despite this she dragged Britain out of the gutter,dusted it off and set it on its feet again - and then helped defeat Communism! You have to be a very blinkered person not to admire her sheer guts,even if you disagree with her politics. People who knew her also said she is an extremely kind woman on a personal level. Some so-called feminists were among the most merciless in their criticism of her - usually on the basis of her blue suits, handbags and hair. If men had made the same remarks about a left wing female politician they would have screamed blue murder about it - but somehow it was ok if 'feminists' attacked Thatcher based only on her appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post Iona. Well thought out. Also loved your conversation description, spot on.

    I have to agree with all you said. I'm just glad I wasn't Mr. Thatcher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I think you're right about Maggie. Her politics excepted, and sure, she wasn't the greatest supporter of other women, she did show young girls (as I was at the time) that they could be anything they wanted to. There certainly isn't a woman to match her now in British politics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spat my wine out I was laughing to hard at the two line conversations we have. So true. And the bit at the end with Maggie and Geoff, let's just say I need some kitchen towel for my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post - superb writing.

    I think Maggie was definitely a role model; you don't have to like someone, or want to be like them, to be inspired by them, and I think she inspired an entire nation of women.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting post and, as with the previous Margaret Thatcher conversation, I've been thinking about this a bit...

    I really disliked her. I disliked her politics. I did not like what she did to this country. I danced around the sixth form when she resigned - with Matthew Sell, I seem to recall; no-one else was at all interested and were too busy playing cards and drinking coffee to say more than 'Oh? Great.'

    But... I think it's true that, because of her, I think it's completely normal for a woman to become prime minister and to aspire to doing so. Because of her, I am surprised that America has only just come remotely close to having a female president (or vice president). So, yes, in those terms she has definitely been an inspiration.

    As for Rachida Dati, 5 days? I was back at work the next day. That's not true, actually, because I was stuck in the hospital while R was in SCBU, but I did do some invoices 3 days after, when I came home for one night. I slowed down, but didn't ever take maternity leave.

    I had a boss who started having contractions (at 9 months) in the middle of a meeting; she finished the meeting, went off and had the baby and was back at work the next day. I tell people this and they are often shocked. At no point did she expect her female employees to follow her example (at least not publicly), it was just her choice. I do think it's important to have the right to maternity leave and there should be more paid paternity leave, as well. But I don't think there's anything wrong if someone decides to do things differently to the norm.

    Anyway, yes. Apparently Margaret Thatcher was an inspiration. I shall have to tell my Conservative-voting friend. He will fall over laughing to hear me say that!

    Thank you for again making me stop and think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting points you raise. I was so busy loathing all of her political positions that I rarely stopped to consider her personal position which is a credit to her.
    I still find it hard to be inspired by someone whom I dislike on so many levels ("Our friend Pinochet" etc), and I'm not sure that just because she is a woman, a mother there is any more justification for according her respect than to any other leader. Yes, she had her gender as an extra obstacle and she trascended that, but that is not enough to persuade me that I should be inspired. Great writing though! Giggled at the thought of her losing her train of thought over the euro..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must say living in developing countries as I have the last few yrs, I always measure British politicians by the yd stick of the governments in the semi banana republics I end up in, and think, well NONE of them are as bad as mad bad Rajapaksa in Sri Lanka or the endemically corrupt entire government here in Albania. But then I read about Tessa Jowell's estranged hubby having been found guilty of receiving a $600,000 bribe from Silvia Berlusconi and I despair really of any politicians. Well, Mrs Thatcher wasn't corrupt at least I suppose, tho I agree that 'friendship' with Pinochet was beyond the pale. I'm really depressing myself now....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes an extended conversation, sometimes a dogmatic argument. Who is counting? :-0
    I've had both on AOL(where I blogged first) & I enjoyed both.
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so lovely coming back here and realising that you're still here, funny as ever. Well done on your award. I do agree with the proximity stuff though I also love the anonymity. Murals are fab, incidentally.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good points there. I just wish women would leave each other alone. Where Maggie Thatcher never really came across as a motherly type (and I may be completely wrong about that), Sarah Palin did - and was questioned at length about it, not all in a supportive way. Altho' I loathed her politics, and many other things about her "campaign" she was wronged when people questioned her ability solely on the basis of her being a mother of 5. How many male politicians are grilled about their childcare arrangements?

    ReplyDelete
  15. So are you on holiday or something?! I need one too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am SO behind in my blog reading!

    I don't have anything nice to say about Margaret Thatcher, so it's best I say nothing at all :) She was no heroine in my part of the world, at.all!

    Anyway - I have to tell you what a joy it is to read stuff like this - beats my droning on about motherhood challenges any day lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous Post - so fun to read! You are an inspiration Iota.

    ReplyDelete