Sunday, October 14, 2007

What they don’t tell you about moving abroad

They don’t tell you that you will be tired for a year. That you will be tired every day all the time. That you’ll be tired in the evening when you go to bed, and you’ll see a tired face when you look in the mirror in the morning. That living outside your comfort zone is exhausting. That you will have no comfort zone for a long time, and that when it comes, it will be patchy, like pieces of a jigsaw coming together to make a tree here, a house there, a boat in the distance. You won’t be able to dwell in the patches. They won’t join up to make a whole picture. Not for a long time.

They don’t tell you that you will watch a year of films without seeing their endings. They don’t tell you that you will say to yourself “I can’t be pregnant” more often than is comfortable, thinking you recognize the first signs of that old brain-slowness and body-heaviness. They don’t tell you that you will discover you can fall asleep, sitting bolt upright on a hard wood floor, playing trains with a three year old. “Open lor eyes, Mummy, open lor eyes”, as the small sharp fingers jab at your face, making you flinch and turn away. They don’t tell you that health food shops sell a thousand different combinations of vitamins and minerals, and that your tablet of choice will be called 'Unbounded Energy'. They don’t tell you that the labels on the bottles make all kinds of claims for how their contents can help weariness of body, but none of them dares suggest they can help weariness of soul.

Weary. I like that word. I remember when my oldest started nursery, and I picked him up at the close of the afternoon session, his teacher told me “He was wearying towards the end, but he’s been fine”. To my English ears, newly arrived in Scotland, the word 'wearying' sounded like 'weeing' (a word always close to a mother's anxiety zone), and I thought what an extraordinary thing she had said. That was when I first started noticing the word 'weary'. I don’t think it was the right word for her to use. Three year olds don’t get weary. They get tired; they have low blood sugar; they get grumpy; they get tetchy. I don’t think they get weary. The old get weary. The sad, the ill, the bereaved get weary. The relocated get weary.

Grey is the colour of weary. Not early morning wispy mist horizon grey, or cold depths North Sea grey. Just dull nothing grey. Weary rhymes with dreary, with teary, and I think too it hints at fear-y. Worry is a bedfellow of weary. Weary is what you are when life is wearing. Life is wearing.

Weary makes me think of Lowry, and his grey, tired, bowed matchstick men and women. Oh dear. I’ve just looked at a few of his paintings (isn’t the internet a wonderful thing? all this at my fingertips), and I find that his people don’t look weary at all. They look rather purposeful, hurrying along with intent. They are in groups, or twos: the luxury of companionship. There’s a rather pert little dog. Oh my. I must have it bad, when Lowry looks cheerful. What next? I’d probably think Munch’s Scream was roaring with laughter. I'm not even going to look.

I can’t think of a way to end this post. I can’t think of an ingenious twist, a witty one-liner, or an appropriate reflection to wrap it cleverly up. That is rather apt, though, don’t you think? When you are weary, you can’t see an end to it at all.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Iota,
    would love to start this with a joke to raise your spirits but seriously - have you had your thyroid levels checked recently? Just asking, you understand, since they seem to pack up an awful lot more people than realise. (3 of whom are in my family...which is why I think I might recognise the symptoms).

    And now for the joke - courtesy of Mike Batt via The Wombles. "I say, I say, I say. My dog's got no nose." "Your dog's got no nose? How does it smell?" "Terrible!"

    I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been exactly where you are, exactly. I don't know how long your stint in the States is likely to be, so I don't know if this will help you to read or not. I've been here for 5 years and as I was telling my husband today it is only recently that I've allowed myself to admit that I'm happy right now. I think a big part of me convinced myself for longer than necessary that I was a fish out of water, that this was a transient thing for me, this stay in the States, and therefore it wouldn't do to let myself get too comfortable. I've done it though, and I no longer wake every day wishing I was back at home. I miss it, but I have managed to make Florida feel like home, too. My husband has a job change on the horizon and it is 90% certain that we will move - this puts the fear of God in me that I will have another long term of being unsettled, but I know I've done it before and I'll rise to it again, if I have to.

    Hope tomorrow, and the many more tomorrows after that, are better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a brilliant blog. You definitely have a way with words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. moving is a huge change. moving to another COUNTRY is a mammoth change. i felt the way you do for months, when all i did was move from duluth 150 miles south to st. paul. what you did is enormous, and i can completely understand your weariness. i think another word for it is depression.

    not a clinical depression, but a situational one. keep venting to us, eat right, get a little fresh air every day.... it will lift, but it's quite normal for you to feel this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the point where you shove your children into the arms of any convenient stranger and get the hell out of it. Is this possible? I believe you are child-weary and there is no known cure for this dismal affliction other than escape. Either that, or feed them all your boundless energy pills, lock them on a giant hamster wheel and go and watch all those film endings, one after another. If only there were such a thing as virtual baby sitting...and I must have been touched by your post because it's a service I never offer, even in a virtual capacity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate.
    Especially lozenge-shaped pieces.
    Bon courage

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there any way you can get a break from your kids? When we moved here from California my kids were 7, 3 1/2 and 2 and I knew no one. I joined a gym that had a flat monthly fee for child care and went every single day after the oldest one got out of school. Sometimes I didn't do anything but sit in the locker room and read, but mostly I got some exercise and I think that helped with my gloom.

    You sound overwhelmed at the moment and I wish there was something we could do to help you out. Have you ever said exactly where you are? Would you part with that info??

    Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds so hard, everything different, everything new, everything exciting - I'm sure you just want to wake up to DULL and SAME once in a while. My mother carted 3, then 4, then 6 of us around the world after my father's job and eventually refused to move again. I read your post and have a glimmer of understanding why, and also why she played tennis and bridge - they were constants that she could take wherever. I hope you have a dull day soon - one hat's full of those bright colours of familiarity! ALternatively, perhaps you sneak away for a few days this side of the Atlantic.

    I might write an iota-inspired post about being weary...
    All the best

    gpm

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read the post above, so I know it's eased a bit, but you wrote that so well. I felt so much of it, still feel lots of it. Love the line, 'living outside the comfort zone'...it IS bloody knackering, and not for the faint-hearted. So many ex-pat mums do this moving lark for a living, it's not for me, I want to sit still for a bit! (I bet my husband comes home and tells me we're moving to Buenos Aires soon)
    Added you to my blogroll, FINALLY!
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Iota,
    Like Pig above, I've read the following post so I know things have brightened up for you a little.
    It's not easy living in another culture - it is exhausting. Wearying. You never get a chance to totally relax - you're always translating (not literally, in your case, but you know what I mean!)
    That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the post (even if you were feeling miserable) - because it was expressed brilliantly!

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smashing blog, so true. I am so tired from being constantly worried.

    ReplyDelete