Friday, October 5, 2007

HobNobbing

Doo doo doo, da doo, da doo doo doo

Oh, hello. Sorry. Didn’t see you there. Where were we?

Ah yes. Words. Lovely words. Now, if you were living in the middle of the middle of a long way away from Britain, you would find the following three words very lovely: milk chocolate HobNobs. (By the way, I’ve checked, and it is indeed three words, not four. Don’t be fooled by that upper case N. Your child might be taught at school that you can only have a capital letter at the beginning of a word, but Mr McVitie knows better. He would be in a very strong position to argue the case, after all.)

Anyway, I had been told that my local Dillons (Waitrose equivalent, remember) has started stocking a few shelves of British goods. I have to say that I don’t terribly miss food items (except chipolatas and fish fingers, which must say something about my culinary habits). If necessary, I can always hustle over to World Market, an amazing emporium which sells everything from Lindt chocolate to Indonesian furniture, via Indian silk scarves and Danish Bodum kitchenware. It’s a huge store, recently opened, and I’m usually the only customer so I fear for its long-term future, but up till now, I have been happy that it has kept me in decaffeinated PG tips tea bags. Now, however, it seems I can get them from my local Dillons (so I fear even more for World Market).

If you cruise around the ex-pat corners of the blogosphere, you get a feel for the kind of edible items people miss from Blighty. Lots of people write about them. Lots of other people comment. We say bonding ex-pat things to each other like “Ah! Cadbury’s Fruit and Nut” or “Ooooh yes, MARMITE!!” To all of you out there, I dedicate my local Dillons. I’ve just been along to check out the rumoured British selection, and I have to tell you that they have got the range of products just exactly right. They have clearly done some impressive research. Either that, or the manager spends hours reading blogs when he is pretending to be analyzing the sales figures on his computer. There is Ribena, Robinson’s lemon and orange squash, Heinz beans, Heinz treacle pudding and spotted dick, various Cadbury’s products, HP sauce, Bird’s custard powder, piccalilli, Branston pickle, little pickled onions, both Colman’s mustard and Colman’s mustard powder (how’s that for attention to detail?), digestive biscuits, Abernethy biscuits, milk chocolate HobNobs. Stop right there. Milk chocolate HobNobs. If I was going to be very picky, I would say that plain HobNobs (no, not plain chocolate, just plain) would have been a nice option, but hey, that would be very small-minded of me. There is one mystery item, which is green tea. Americans think we Brits drink green tea as well as brown (which they call black). Do we? Is this something that we do, that has passed me by?

The British section is well nigh perfect. I’d be interested to get an expert national opinion on the neighbouring French, Italian and German ones (each sporting its own little flag). They seem to me to be a lot less imaginative. The Italian one is full of fancy dried pasta and accompanying sauces. The German one has pumpernickel and lots of jam. The French one has a whole shelf of jam, a whole shelf of olives, a whole shelf of olive oil and, intriguingly, glass jars labeled “Large French Prunes”. Oh, that tells a sad story, doesn’t it? Dillons staff must have reported a significant number of disconsolate French ex-pats asking “Do you sell ze prunes? I need ze prunes. French ones, zey are ze best. And large, please.”

I don’t know if Dillons are hoping to sell all these items to Americans. Maybe there is some cache in buying expensive European products (Heinz beans are nearly $3.79 a can – that’s 1.90 pounds sterling). Or perhaps there is a large hidden community of Europeans here, which makes it worth Dillons’ while. I haven’t spotted any, as I wander round the store, although of course I might not know just from looking. I’ll have to be more alert. Perhaps I should walk around with an open packet of milk chocolate HobNobs held aloft (one of those handy cardboard tubes with the blue plastic lid) and see if I attract anyone.

19 comments:

  1. The last time I was in the States, I fell upon the British section of my mother's local grocery store in delight. Lord knows why, as I don't actually eat that many of the things they stocked when I'm here in the UK!

    The American section in my local Waitrose is not nearly as thoughtfully arranged as your Dillons section. I can get Penn State pretzels, Betty Crocker muffin mix, tiny containers of Skippy peanut butter and some odd cinnamon sugar flatbread crackers (delicious, but as I had never tried them before arriving here, I'm not sure how "American" they are). I can't imagine where the purchasing manager is gathering his stocklist ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irish on Grand (a gift shop a few miles from our house) has a tiny little pantry (it's an old refurbished house) filled with irish food for sale--mcvitie's digestive biscuits (which we ate by the scores in the car as we drove across ireland), steel-cut oats, barry's tea, even a freezer with kerrygold butter and irish bacon.

    yum.

    my local rainbow grocery carries hobnobs. i try not to buy them. they're just too good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my American pantry right now: Bird's custard powder, Colman's mustard (both wet and dry), Jackson's traditional breakfast tea and Twining's Earl Grey. There'd be a Cadbury's bar in there, too, if I hadn't just eaten the last one.

    Believe it or not, you can get Colman's in the local SuperTarget and Colman's powder at the Homeland store. The SuperTarget also carries steel cut oats and Walker's shortbread, but all are among the American products. Some of the things I buy, like the Bird's and the teas come from British import shops. Both my old hometown and my new one have import stores run by ex pat Britons. I love shopping in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Curried Beans or Mushy Peas? Obviously a more sophisticated ex-pat in your area - or perhaps a token nod to ozone layer preservation...unlikely though.

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a pretty extensive British section in my grocery, too. I haven't been brave enough to try a few things, but I've got a huge selection of teas filling up the cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your Dillons kicks mine in the tail. We don't have international aisles at all. Living in granola ville, we do have more variations on tofu and soy everything than you can shake a stick at.

    We do however have a British import shop downtown that does a thriving business. Now that I have specifics, I may have to go again and stock up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our local grocer, Kaidi, could learn something from Dillons. I think, judging by the selection on his shelves, that his market research is limited to the one American diabetic who must have lived in the Outpost once upon a time. Why can't I get thick cut orange marmalade, Kaidi? Why won't diabetic apricot jam do? Or Peanut butter even? Because I'm not a diabetic American. I'm a greedy English girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Green tea? The only people I know who drink green tea in England are my eurotrash neighbours (who outnumber me around 10 - 1, so our local Waitrose does a cracking trade in it).
    But as for English drinking Green tea? Forget it. Personally I would sooner drink dishwater. Tea is meant to be brown, hot, refreshing, and to taste like tea. Otherwise you might just as well have a glass of wine...

    ReplyDelete
  9. RC, that is my favorite import shop ever! I order from them via the web sometimes when I want something special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Iota, you have an award over at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Green tea is very popular for the first cup of the day, can't remember why!

    ReplyDelete
  12. PG Tips Green Tea (actually a blend with black) is my personal favourite which I buy online, so that would make one English girl 'outing' herself as a Green Tea drinker. Maybe I'm the exception that proves the rule.

    Or maybe I've just been living in California too long!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was so glad when I found out that one of my local shops sells Skippy peanut butter. The British stuff just doesn't cut it.

    HobNobs are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a good biscuit, the Milk Chocolate HobNob. Have I got the spelling right? Not so expensive that you feel extravagant, as you might with, say, Choco Leibniz or similar fancy biscuits, but solid and with a hint of healthiness from that oaty quality, unlike your Fox's Viennese numbers. You can see why my husband magicked up the name Mother at Large for me, and why so many people still insist on asking after my due date, although there is no baby expected. We have to make do with biscuits from Scotmid, unless we make the trek to Waitrose. You're teaching me to look at our boring food items with new eyes, Iota.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My own suggestion would be that you carry round a sign saying 'Large French Prune' and see what sort of clientele you attract.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wrold market store...what a brilliant concept! Hello, I have been reading, laughing and often agreeing with your comments on M@L's blog for months, so thought it was high time I came and visited your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Horseradish! They forgot the horseradish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some of the branches of Publix in our area carry British items also - most of the ones you list actually. This is where I get my digestives to make 'Fifteens' - a traybake type thing (maybe even a particularly Northern Irish delicacy?).

    My American friends on asking for the recipe for fifteens were totally disgusted that the brits would call a 'cookie' a digestive lol!

    I miss the sausages, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I confess I drink green tea too. Another closet English green tea lover. Also Earl Grey and builders' tea. In Sri Lanka you get every kind; green tea, black tea, orange pekoe, silver tipped tea (v exclusive and expensive), white tea. None of the names really refer to the colour though. Most of the nice stuff though has been exported, and is probably sitting on the shelves of Dillons, Waitrose and World Market stores as I speak.......

    ReplyDelete