Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Hurrying along

Words. They’re lovely things aren’t they?

When I lived in England, I would hurry. Or hurry up. Then I moved to Scotland and found myself scooting. “I must scoot”, I would say. I would scoot to the Co-op, which Husband and I called the Coop (we’re so amusing). Scooting to the Coop had a very pleasing feel to it. Scooting to school felt good too. It was for occasions such as these that school English lessons taught me the word alliteration.

Now in America, I hustle. I like that word. Hustle, hustled, hustling, hustle. It even sounds like what it means (there’s a word for that too, but I’m not going to use it – one word about words is enough showing off).

You’ve no idea what hustling can do for morale. Watching my son play soccer, for example, I hear another mom shout “Come on boys, half-time’s over. Let’s hustle.” She sees seven small boys in orange shirts and black shorts, who need encouraging into a second half. I see these people. For a short moment, I am aware of these facts: although I drove to the soccer ground in a Honda minivan in which the cd selection was Children’s Ultimate Party Album, Barney's It’s a Great Day for Learning, and Amy Grant’s Home for Christmas, and although the differential between my waist and hips isn’t anywhere near as large as it used to be, and although the extent of my interaction with young men these days is to yell “good jahb, CJ” at the goalie, deep down, deep down, I am oozing such ice cold urban chic that it is amazing my extremities haven’t frozen off, even though it’s in the 80's this afternoon and there’s no shade at the soccer ground. In another life, (I’m accumulating a worryingly large collection of these) I know I could be shoulder to shoulder with Marc Warren and his gang. I could be in that immaculately tailored business suit, no yogurt on the lapel. I could eat in minimalist restaurants with views over the Thames, where they don’t have a kids' menu. With my sheer craftiness and brilliance, and a few calls on a mobile phone thinner than a credit card… no… wait… thinner than a business card, I could trick business men, art dealers, tycoons, the lot of them, out of their millions. I could walk out of a lift towards a camera in slow motion, arms swinging, hips swinging, as the opening credits rolled. I could take on Marc Warren in quick-fire repartee. And win. The lovely word hustle does this for me.

I’ve had a fine old time with hustling on Youtube (who invented that thing? - as if we didn’t have enough demands on our time already). First, I found this truly marvellous clip from Hustle series 3 (sorry, it won't let me embed it here). It features the very building I once worked in, but I never saw anything even half as exciting from my window.

Next, there’s plenty of this:



I only included that out of sheer devilment, because people get cross with me when I leave them with a tune on their brain for the rest of the day, and this one is guaranteed. Doo doo doo, da doo, da doo doo doo.

Uber-suave con artists, naked bottoms flustering the tourists in Trafalgar Square, and one of the catchiest tunes of all time. As I said, hustling can do a lot for the morale. I don’t think I’ll ever want to go back to mere hurrying, or scooting (not even alliterative scooting).

11 comments:

  1. Thankyou Iota. Not only did you remind me of life with without yogurt on my lapel, cuffs, trouser legs, or indeed anywhere else that a 2 year old can reach with a spoon and an attitude, you gave me the chance to look at two rather fine examples of the male species. Naked. Before 10.00am.

    This is going to be a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny... hustling to me is all about young children in oversized jerseys running around a soccer field (football pitch?). But it would definitely be cooler if they all spontaneously busted out the dance moves when someone yelled that, wouldn't it? I totally think you should teach them on the sly... ;)

    (By the way, every. single. time I say "good job" now, I think of you and your "good jahbs." More often than not, I hurriedly cover up my Americanized enthusiasm with a brisk "well done" so as not to appear too vulgar.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the image of little soccer player kids wearing pinstripe suits and snapping their fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the chuckle! I need to do some hustling of my own today!

    Just wanted to let you know that I have two little blog awards for you at my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Hustle' for me means conning someone, usually out of money. And in Glasgow at the moment the word on the street is 'bolt' slightly dropping the 't' for example 'I've go'ae bolt tae the Co-op, wur ou'a mulk' LOL or alternatively when someone is bothering you you can see them off with a simple 'bolt' words and meanings make me laugh.

    I know have the tune in my head and might do a bit of dancing later. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The moment I saw that you were talking about hustle my brian went straight to the song. Thank you. That's the best song to get stuck in my head. Serious. Not mad. LOVE it. You rock my world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, if that's what it takes to knock Nickelback's "Rockstar" out of my head, I guess I'll take it.

    Not quite sure how cheerful I am about it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a hard time remembering a time before YouTube, even though it's only been around for a few years. That site is dangerously addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What about 'popping' that always cracks my American workmates up when I say I'm just off to 'pop to the loo'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a little confused by Scooting and Scotland. Are you sure you're not confusing it with Scooting for Boys, the little known Northern variation of the Baden Powell's great child-minding and innuendo developing movement (I'm thinking woggles and Beavers here, but add your own, obviously). I am blog linking you. Sorry not to do it before but I am a lazy cow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The second you said the word hussle, that song came into my head!

    Thanks for the giggle!

    ReplyDelete