Saturday, October 27, 2007

Reasons to be cheerful: Part II

Motts Pots
They don’t call them that, which is a shame. It would be such a good name for what is such a good idea. They are little tubs of apple sauce (stewed apple or apple puree if you'd rather), which are just excellent as an alternative to a yogurt or fromage frais. Handy at home, perfect for packed lunches, top picks for picnics. Of course this all depends on your kids being the kind who like apple sauce, but for those of you who have the other kind of kid, well, you can just eat a Motts Pot yourself from time to time. You don’t even have to keep them in the fridge. They do a few variations too: apple and strawberry, cinnamon apple… in fact, here’s the whole range.

Please, if you know someone connected to the company, would you pass on to them a couple of ideas. The first is the name. They’ve got as far as Motts for Tots (ie smaller tubs for toddlers), but no-one has made the really very obvious step to Motts Pots. This would, I’m sure, put them ahead of the competition (Kroger, a rhymingly challenged company). The other idea is that they should launch into the UK market. Apple puree, formerly available only for babies, now here for children and adults. One of your five daily portions in a convenient tub. It’s really delicious stuff. Motts Pots for Brits. Don’t tell me that wouldn’t succeed.

Garage openers
These are absolutely standard here, so you have to try not to look too wide-eyed and excited as you point and click from the comfort of your car seat. Makes you feel like a bit of a celeb though. I mean, fancy me having an automatic garage opener. It was some weeks before I could do the point and click without saying “open sesame” and laughing out loud – until I caught sight of my children’s faces in the mirror. I think they’d heard the joke once too often. Most people programme the clicker into some clever gadget or other just above the driving mirror, so they don’t even have to fumble around in a door pocket, but can just reach up in one elegant movement. When we were test-driving our car, this feature was pointed out to us. I asked “why are there three buttons?” The reply came “some people have three garages” (duh….). Almost all houses other than the very old ones (you know, those dating back to the 20s and 30s…) have integral garages, meaning you can walk straight from the garage into the house. So if you have a garage opener, you don’t have to worry about rain, cold, wind, sun – you can be straight out of your climate controlled house, into your climate controlled car. Your legs need hardly be activated at all.

Of course in Britain garage openers would be next to useless, as they are designed for people who put their car in their garage. It's a strange concept, but it seems to work once you've got the hang of it.

Long summers
I know I’ve complained about the heat here in high summer. I know. The nice other side of that coin, though, is that for much of the year (at least May to early October) it is warm enough to be in flip-flops, a t-shirt and capris (not shorts, please, at my age). I can hear the envious intakes of breath from here, as I tell you that it is only last week that I have had to think of taking a cardigan when I go out. That is nice. I have become very wedded to flip-flops (except in banks).

Goo Gone
I was intrigued to find out about Goo Gone, after one occasion when I heard American women in Scotland discussing how much they missed it. So when the official at Immigration stamped our passports and said “welcome to America. Do you have any questions?”, I replied without hesitating “Can you tell me where the nearest Goo Gone retailer is?” I do see exactly why you would miss this product so much. You know how often there is an irritating problem relating to a price tag on a birthday present, or the remains of a sticker on the furniture or the window? Well, Goo Gone is the thing. One little squirt and a quick wipe, and the unsightly mess is gone. On a bad day, I have been tempted to see if it worked on the kids themselves. It’s another product ripe for the UK import market. I’ve even thought of an advertising slogan: Blair gone? Goo Gone would have got rid of him quicker.

Kitchen roll in half size strips

You know how a piece of kitchen roll is often too big for the job? The Americans have got this sussed. Here, you can buy kitchen roll in half size strips. Nifty AND environmentally sensitive (although I expect that is just a lucky side effect). “But hang on a minute” I hear you say. “What about if the spillage is too big for a half size strip? What if I need that full size square? I’d end up having to have two different rolls on the kitchen counter, and that would take up precious space.” Well, here’s the clever clever thing. When you have a roll in half size strips, if you need a big old-fashioned square, you can miss out one line of perforations and just tear off two half size pieces together! It works just the same! Brilliant. They've thought of everything.

7 comments:

  1. I was thinking to myself 'Iota has completely lost it. A half sized kitchen roll is surely a loo roll?' Then I realised what you meant. Duh!
    We have fruit purees here in France - great for kid's lunchboxes.

    And Goo Gone? I want some NOW - it's the answer to (nearly) all my problems!

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  2. you made me laugh, iota. i was thrilled to get a garage door opener, too, and i have lived in the states all my life. my parents had a manual door, and then in my first house (despite living in frigid duluth, with blizzards and -40 degree winters) i didn't even have a garage at all.

    i was thrilled to buy a house with a garage door opener.

    re motts pots--great idea, but pot has a sort of different connotation here. the toilet is called the pot, for one thing. and then thre's marijuana... i'm sure motts pots wouldn't pass their rigorous marketing exectuives.

    but i'd buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love the Motts here, too - and forever more I will call them Motts Pots! Laurie definitely has a point though!

    We never use our front door, ever - we get out of the car in the garage (after opening the door with the point and click) and come straight into the kitchen. How would I ever settle back to life in Ireland without such everyday luxury?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was truly funny. I never would've thought goo gone, apple sauce, select a size paper towels, and garage door openers were luxuries missing from the British market. You've made me appreciate them now, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize there were so many differences. I like your idea for the applesauce cups. They are a mainstay in our household. We have also used the paper towels that are half pieces too and I was suprised myself the first time I ripped one off. It surely does prevent some waste at least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My household runs on Motts Fuel. They really are a good idea.

    See? There are (some) good things about it here! We rock at kitchen towels...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Iota you are clearly crackers - a natural comic genius. Normally I keep interesting thoughts about kitchen roll squares and leg activation all to myself....and then I come over here and find you celebrating the small details and it makes me laugh like crazy - you're a tonic, so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete