Thursday, April 11, 2013

My Postsecret - Part II

It was the summer of 2007. We'd been in America for a few months, and I was through the honeymoon period and into the classic low dip that typically occurs 6 - 9 months after you move to a new place. But I didn't know about that dip and its timing, so I was just miserable and couldn't see an end to being miserable. The children had started their 12-week summer holiday - and no-one had told me about THAT. I had no idea how to manage TWELVE WEEKS at home with the children. We didn't know many people well enough to invite them over - I'd have thrown myself into playdate exchanges in the early days a bit more if I'd known about the 12-week vacation to come. It was over 90 degrees every day, and I'm never at my best in the heat.  I felt trapped inside the house. I was paranoid about the children getting sunburnt, and there were mosquitoes everywhere. I asked people what they did during the long summer break, but no-one really seemed to have any answer, except "the pool". The children were 10, 6 and 3, and, though I came to love our neighborhood pool in future years, it didn't hit the spot at all for us that year. I had to be with 3-yo in the small pool, and I wasn't confident about the two older ones being on their own in the big pool, so I hovered at the gate between the two, trying to watch all three, feeling hot, worrying about sunburn, and longing for Scotland. And there still remained several hours of the day, long, slow hours, each day, every day, before and after our trip to the pool. Husband was rewriting his PhD into a book, and we'd set aside the summer weeks for him to do that. It was a very lonely time. It was when I started blogging.

We'd already done the museums and other attractions in the city. Several times. In fact, I decided that if anyone said to me "There's a great zoo here. Have you checked out the zoo yet?" I would decapitate them on the spot. Yes, I had taken the children to the zoo already. Full of maternal initiative, me. I'd been more than once, actually. It was hot and dusty and full of sad, enclosed animals. "But thanks for the suggestion", I always managed. 

I decided I needed to get out of the city. A trip or two. That would raise morale. Part of what I had anticipated would be the fun of moving to a new country was the chance to explore. What I hadn't realised, and what I was finding out slowly, was that truly, there wasn't very much to explore where we were. I don't know if I'd envisaged a few little Cotswold villages, with tea shops and play parks, in the middle of the Great Plains, or what, but I'd expected something, anything, to go and do and see. I mean, wherever you are in the world, you can get to know your surroundings. Can't you? Surely? There's always something to go and visit, isn't there? Well, not so much in the middle of the Midwest. And especially if it's very hot, and you have three small children in tow, and you really don't want to make stopping at McDonalds the treat of the day. And you're sad and lonely and low on internal resources.

I had a great aunt, who was a big traveller. She used to say, if you're in a place and don't know what to visit, go and look at local postcard stands. You'll discover what's interesting nearby. Well, there weren't any shops with postcard stands where we were, but I asked in Wal-Mart, and a rather surprised assistant showed me a very small rack. I realise, now I understand the place and the way of life there so much better, that to find a postcard at all in Wal-Mart in that city was rather amazing, but at the time, amazed is exactly what I was not. I nearly cried. The selection couldn't have been more under-whelming. They were mostly jokey ones about cattle, or tornadoes. Great. There were a few pictures of fields of sunflowers, and yes, you could have a nice day out looking at sunflowers if you were in Tuscany and there was going to be a pretty little village snuggling against the hillside where you could order pizza and San Pellegrino and enjoy watching the waiter chat to your bambini, because everyone knows the Italians love children, but trust me, you can't really do the same kind of thing where we were. Unless you want to end up in a McDonalds, and my kids had already had way too many McFlurries that summer. Anyway, I had 12 weeks to fill. A day of sunflower-viewing wasn't going to make much of a dent.

Then I hit rock bottom. There was a postcard of a grain elevator. Do you know what that is? No? This is what they look like.

                                                                                                                      Photo credit: walkersquawker.net

They're big, made of concrete or steel, always white or grey, and not interesting. At all. The caption on the back of the postcard said "sometimes known as 'the Cathedrals of the Plains', these majestic structures can be seen for miles around". That was the final insult. Cathedrals of the Plains. I had swapped King's College Chapel, Westminster Abbey, Salisbury Cathedral, St Paul's, for these brutes? The beauty, history, design, and interest of cathedrals for the modern utilitarian ugliness of grain elevators? How could anyone dare compare them?

I bought the postcard.

I wanted to write "I hate living here" in huge, bold capitals on it, and send it to Postsecret. It felt really good, just to think about doing that. Perhaps I'd make it "I really, really, really, REALLY hate living here". But I didn't write that. First, in that irritating way that life has of laughing at you and debunking your most intense moments, the first couple of biros I tried wouldn't even make a mark on a postcard (and I obviously hadn't discovered Sharpies at that point). More significant than the biro issue though, was my pride. I was committed to making a success of our overseas adventure, and I had decided that the foundation of that commitment was the "Not wrong, just different" approach to life that was the title of my blog at the time. To send an "I hate living here" postcard would be to let myself down, and to let my blog down.

The modified version that I came up with, and I think this will make you laugh because it's so very Iota, was "I can't believe I'm living in a place where they make postcards of grain elevators". But I didn't even send that. I don't really know why. I kept the card, though. It lived in the desk drawer, and I used to take it out and look at it, and think how much I hated where we were, and how homesick I was for the land of my family and friends and cathedrals and tea shops.

Time passed. I grew to love my life. I never loved the place, but I loved my life in it, and we found ways of making it work, even though it wasn't Tuscany or the Cotswolds. A highlight was our annual Thanksgiving trip to Colorado, when we would drive for 12 hours across the Great Plains, in search of mountains. I loved those journeys. We got to know the route, and found places to eat on the way that weren't McDonalds. In one cafe, they even recognised us from one year to the next, and opened up for us once when we arrived a few minutes after closing time. I grew to love the Plains, and to cherish the opportunity that life had given me to experience new things in a new place. It would be stretching it to say that I grew to love the grain elevators, but I made my peace with them. You need landmarks to place your eyes on, as you drive across the flat landscape, and there's something about them that's large, solid, and comforting, like lighthouses. "Majestic structures", I suppose. They survive when nothing else does, when a tornado passes through. And actually, if you look at the photo you'll see two grain elevators, an old and a new. So I suppose there is even a historical interest to be found in grain elevators, if you look out for it. 

When we were moving back to Britain, I got the postcard out. I was going to write on it "I used to hate living here, but now I'm really sad to leave", and send it to Postsecret. I didn't, though. As I said, Postsecret has changed. Brash sex revelations have replaced the weekly feast that I used to enjoy, of the tiny, sometimes whimsical, windows into the lives of strangers. It was no longer the right place for my secret to be aired.

I can't even remember what I did with the card. (That isn't a very good ending to the story, is it? It's the truth, though.) I vaguely remember ripping it in half and putting it in the bin, bidding it farewell and telling it "you've served your purpose; I don't need you any more". But I also vaguely remember tucking it into a pile of papers, thinking it would be fun to see it again. I hope it's the latter memory that's correct, because when that picture postcard surfaces, it will be like greeting an old friend.
.

16 comments:

  1. Was Living Down UnderApril 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

    You have perfectly captured the feelings of loneliness and despair that come right after the "honeymoon" period. I felt it when we moved away. And I felt it when we moved back (though when we moved back there was no honeymoon period). There were days when the only company I had were a toddler and a baby. At least in Sydney, I could tuck them into the pram and walk down to the beach or the shops so that I was only lonely on the inside.

    Coming back to Canada was lonely in a very different sense. I was car-bound driving from one place to the next dropping kids off to where they needed to be - unable to complain to those around me that I really really missed where I had just been and that I really wasn't very glad to be back.

    And yes, the 10 weeks summer break takes some getting used to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew about Postsecrets I am afraid. Sounded interesting. Really relate to your post, and the ambivalent feelings between the actual place, and one's place within that place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious writing as ever Iota...
    xxxxx
    J'ph

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful post, and as an expat 9 months in, I sympathize and understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading this. It's so well-written, and I could totally relate to that feeling of horror at the 12 week holiday with small children and knowing no-one, as I went through that myself. I was also laughing at the grain elevators - ugly great things.(I bet thinking about that time makes you appreciate living in Scotland now?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always been used to the long summers as an American teacher (and, I must say - loved them!) but I can really relate to trying to entertain small kids and especially to the slump after the 'honeymoon' period in a new land. In my case, 9 months was also right about the time that my new best friend in Seoul packed up and left, so it was a pretty dark time for me. I'm sure my postcard would have been pretty grim! I don't know where you lived in the Midwest, but MrL went to flight school in Oklahoma, and I visited him there once, so I completely understand about the miles of nothing but grain elevators. I'm sure many Americans from the E. and W. coasts could not even imagine it. It's interesting to me when I talk to my German colleagues and they express complete shock at how huge America is. I don't think Europeans (or Brits) can really grasp it if they haven't seen it. Coming from a country where you can drive from end to end in a day, it's hard to fathom the sheer expanse of the whole thing. Such a great post today, Iota.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember one summer when the teens were about 6 and 4; I decided I would try to be a "good mother" and not dump them in camp. Big mistake. All their friends were in various different camp programs and there was literally no one to play with. I was absolutely exhausted within weeks, trailing them round to museums, zoos etc. Twelve weeks in ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed reading that post and could almost feel your despair when you bought that card. I think you showed great integrity not posting to PostSecret (that I don't know hardly anything about.)
    I liked the way you eventually you got to love the place and even miss it. Just shows that the saying *Home is where the heart is* is true.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you, Ioata. You are so amazingly British that you can't even write 'I hate living here' on a postcard and send it.
    And I wish I had known you back then and known what you have been going through. I can completely relate to the feeling of 'what on earth am I doing here?'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I hate living here" on your secret postcard of a grain elevator is the funniest line I've read all week. I'm glad it's funny now and sorry you had to feel so bad at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hang on - the 6 to 9 month dip is a thing??
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How have I not found you before! I followed you over from Finger rolls & folding chairs and here's this delicious post, I can see your blog is going to be a real treat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great story! I could feel everything you were feeling as I read your words. And I had a wry little smile the whole time I was reading as I've been there too. Not stuck in the Great Plains. But stuck in a new city where you don't know anyone, where there's 12 weeks of school holidays and where your kids are just too young for any excursions to be truly fun. The swimming pool scene in particular struck a chord with me. I really hope that you packed that postcard away somewhere when you moved.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Iota - sympathies; I've moved around a lot and I know if you can get through that dip it's all plain sailing... moving is hard; moving back must be very odd. I moved to the prairies in the 70s and it was the old fashioned grain elevators all the way... I sort of liked them at the time, they were the only thing that stood out in the bland. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 'Cathedrals of the Plains' *snort* Dare I say that one looked familiar?

    I can well imagine that the 12 week summer holiday would have been a bit of a shock, especially out on the plains. I'm pleased (but only in a relieved way, not a mean way) that you were eventually sad to leave.

    I've been thinking of you a lot lately; you'll see why soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This text is priceless. How can I find out more?


    Visit my site: bmi chart female

    ReplyDelete