Saturday, April 27, 2013

Camping

When I was growing up, we used to camp every summer. It was what our family holidays were. I loved it. Then, when I was first married, Husband and I camped for a week-end two or three times, before complications like... babies... came into the equation.

Husband and I have always planned to camp with the kids. Philosophically, we're committed to the idea. It's just that it hasn't happened in practice. But... ta-da... we're going to go next week-end. We're borrowing a tent, and a lot of equipment, and I'm selling the idea to the children that it's a trial camping week-end. If it goes well, we'll buy our own tent and stuff. If it doesn't (ie if they bicker, fight, don't help with chores, irritate their parents), then it'll be their first and last childhood camping experience. So no pressure, then.

I like the idea of camping. I really do. Back to nature, away from the stresses and strains of daily life, no xbox or other modern evils. But then, when I stop to think about it, I can't help wondering whether some modern evils are actually not all that evil. The dishwasher, for example. The central heating. The hot shower in your own bathroom, a few paces away from the bedroom. The shower you can potter over to in your PJs, cup of tea in hand, rather than having to get dressed, trek across a rainy field, fiddle around with an unfamiliar and - one suspects - deliberately complex shower system, in order to stand under a tiny dribble of lukewarm water, while the wind howls around your ankles, and whips your nice dry towel off its inadequate peg into the puddle on the concrete floor, in which floats the detritus of the previous shower-user. D'you see my point?

I lay in bed last night, talking to Husband about our forthcoming adventure. "I'm looking forward to it", I said.  "Time with the children, without the usual distractions. We'll have to take a pack of cards, and some games, and books. We'll have to work out what food to take. They can get involved in the cooking. And the washing-up. Oh, I've just remembered what washing up at a campsite is like. Cold water, so you can't get rid of the grease. And then your hands smell all morning, but you can't be bothered to tramp all the way back to the shower block to wash them. And anyway, there'd probably be a queue at the showers. And they might not have functioning hot water in any case. And I'll be cold at night. I hate being cold at night. My feet will be cold all week-end. We'll all get smelly. I hate that. Sticky armpits all week-end. I need my bed. How will I be comfortable on a mattressy thingy? They're rubbish. I won't sleep. You know how grumpy I am if I haven't slept. The children won't sleep either. We'll all be lying awake at bedtime while they make jokes about farting in their sleeping bags. I'm definitely not cooking anything, either. We'll have dry rolls and water for breakfast and then eat out for lunch and dinner. Ohhhh...Why did I think camping was going to be fun?"

As you can see, there's quite a wide gap between the philosophical commitment, and the not-so-philosophical anticipation of reality. So if any of you seasoned campers out there have any tips, I'll gladly receive them.  The tip I've been offered most frequently so far is "it's lovely when the weather is nice, but don't go camping in the rain". Get real, Peoples. We're going to Northumbria.

.

12 comments:

  1. Oooh I'm so excited, we are planning a visit home (airmiles saved up) but its the $$ for accommodation that is the problem. I've been scoping out camp grounds and it sooooo much cheaper but like you I keep switching between, "this will be great, what an adventure, the kids will love it" and "seriously have I lost my mind?'.

    I will be forever grateful for all the BTDT insights you can give us after your trip.

    I had convinced myself that campgrounds aren't what they were when I was a kid, 4 stars all the way, hot powerful showers, electric hook up, washing machines on site etc. Am I delusional? Should I be saved from myself?

    I await your full account from the camp ground frontline, don't spare any detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up BTDT ("been there done that", for anyone else who doesn't know), but I think BDOTD might be more apt - "bad decision of the day").

      Delete
  2. You have neatly listed all my problems with camping....from the trekking across a cold field to go to the loo, to the shower block, to the washing up in cold water.

    My only solution - and you won't be doing this now, but maybe in the future - is to go camping without a tent. In American we have stayed twice now at brilliant campsites with cabins, where you can have a hot shower, sleep on a proper mattress and boil a kettle. You still cook outside and basically live outside, but don't have to deal with the downsides, and when it rains, you can sit cosily inside with enough room to play games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang it. I knew we should have done it in America.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry to say this as I KNOW how it must sound coming from me (but you KNOW I am not this type of expat) but yes. Camping is definitely much easier and often better in the States (having experienced quite a bit of both).

      I am biased for another reason as well. My dad, as a Geography Prof, worked with the local State Park to design the campgrounds and the things I've learned about designing a good campground you wouldn't believe! From taking into consideration the micro view (the bit we see around us on our campsite, i.e. is it a pretty site) to the macro view (i.e. the views from the site), the careful positioning of all the sites in proximity to the showerblock--so no site is walked through or right next to it so they get woken by the noise and yet all are within easy walking distance along attractive paths... Anyway, all these things are important so people enjoy their visit enough to return and also to spread the word that this is a great place. I have created a blog post in itself I see. All in an attempt to explain my biased point of view...

      Anyway, Northumbria, how exciting! My favourite county.

      Delete
  3. I used to love camping - which was just as well as many a family summer holiday was spent that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One word - wipes!
    I hope you enjoy it but I don't envy you one bit. I keep thinking we should go camping here but hubby then reminds me that I get bitten enough when I'm sitting out in the back! Also, there's all those bears and things....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha-Ha! I bet you'll have a fab time camping and an even fabber time when you get home and can have a hot shower again. We now take our duvets and pillows with us when we go camping. It's a bit comfier than wrestling with a sleeping bag all night :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the trick is finding the right campsite - there are definitely some that are more civilised than others with things like free hot showers. I was very surprised to find that I enjoyed camping in Vermont without a tent though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds - um - great. In theory... (Luckily for me my husband is even more of a wimp about home comforts than I am, so it's unlikely 'proper' camping is ever going to be an option for us. Having said that, we are due to spend a weekend in yurt in a couple of weeks time. Not quite sure how THAT one is going to work out for us...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You need to go camping where we're going in May. Now THIS is the kind of camping I do (note the four poster beds)
    http://www.jollydaysluxurycamping.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ca-what? Nope, not a happy camper in sight chez Met Mum. Not in a million years! I'll keep you in my prayers though. Brrrr...
    PS: Don't ask me why, but for some reason I had assumed your kids never ever bicker anyway.

    ReplyDelete