Monday, April 22, 2013

Ah! and Aaaaaah.... (that's a shout of joy, followed by a big sigh of relief)

After the funeral, the nephews and nieces went to my uncle's flat, ostensibly to sort out a few things, but also, I think, because for those of us living at a distance, we knew it would be the last opportunity. We each took a few keepsakes. Working for the British council, he'd lived in Israel, South Africa and Tanganyika (as it was then), and as a child, I'd always been intrigued by some of the items on display in his flat. Bongo drums, African statuettes, beautiful wooden boxes. I am now the proud owner of a couple of small wooden wart-hogs, who have taken up residence on my kitchen windowsill, and a few trinket boxes. And the
P G Wodehouse paperback that my uncle was reading on the morning of the day he died.

It was moving, being in his flat. I came across a board tucked down beside the writing desk, on which was the seating plan for his 90th birthday party. So many memories, and I sensed a strong feeling of him. It was almost as if he was in the next room.

While we were all milling about, I took a phone call from Husband (who hadn't been able to come). We'd been negotiating with a potential buyer for our house in America, and they'd come up with another offer. Husband wanted my go-ahead to settle, and I didn't need long to think about it. It was the very figure we'd pre-decided would be ok. It was a wonderful moment. It's been a long year, with the house on the market, then off the market, then having a lot of cosmetic work done, then on the market again... trying to sell it, trying to let it, trying to sell it again. I ended the phone call, raised my arms in the air, and said "We've sold our house!", and my siblings and cousins rejoiced with me.

Looking round my uncle's flat for the last time, and that being the moment we finally sold our house in America, it felt that my uncle's spirit must have been involved. Had he somehow made it happen for us? Or perhaps he was just able to enjoy the moment with us, from the other side. Synchronicity and coincidence always get me wondering. I don't know how these things work. Who does know?

We've sold our house!

.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations on selling the house!

    And what an interesting person your uncle sounds, and what a simply beautiful description of being in his flat once he'd gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was Living Down UnderApril 22, 2013 at 7:13 AM

    That is wonderful news! Not quite the same thing but we left Australia not having sold our car. It is infinitely harder to sell something when you are no longer there.

    I read your post about your uncle's funeral. I am sorry for your loss. I lost my father recently and it was only after his death that I got to hear all the lovely things people had to say about him- their stories and their interactions with him. I knew him as my dad. It was nice to hear about him as he was to others - a friend, an uncle, a mentor. Although I have suffered loss before, this was the first really close one. One where I was in the country to experience. It is amazing how even in death you can feel a strong connection to the person who has moved on. I sense the same feeling from your post and your interactions with your family during and following the funeral. I wonder, is it faith that keeps us so positive?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for you. SO so pleased for you. In my lexicon it's called an answered prayer, but whatever, I am delighted for you and delighted it happened whilst in his flat. Such good news, and such good double closure:o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on selling your house, I can imagine the sense of relief!

    P G Wodehouse! Using his time well right to the last. Again I find myself wishing I had known your Uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew talk about a relief. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray hooray hooray!

    Did I mention hooray?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous news! Very relieved for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thrilled for you! Time to celebrate.
    Sorry for the loss of your uncle. I do believe that sometimes they are able to help us from their new home in ways they couldn't do when they lived here on earth. That's just what I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure your uncle had something to do with it - and, if he didn't, he would have been delighted for you. So happy to hear that the house finally sold - I know that probably made the time with your family that much sweeter, even under such sad circumstances.
    Such wonderful news -huge sigh of relief! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done! We still have our house in Minneapolis five years after leaving. At least it's been mostly rented for that time. I guess we might be able to try selling it soon. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle - sounds like an amazing man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on selling your house. What a weight off your shoulders. And I'm sure a step that will bring you closer to establishing your roots in Britain again.

    ReplyDelete