Friday, March 15, 2013

Finding my new normal - Part III

One of the things that you become aware of when you become a parent, is how very much your idea of "normal" stems from your childhood.

We think we're going to fathom out how to be parents on an intellectual plane (plane as in level, not as in aeroplane, though I do quite like the idea of working things out while travelling on an intellectual aeroplane). Then we have a baby, and we are taken by surprise by how very much our gut feelings take over, and how much those gut feelings are the instincts that we inherited from our own mothers, fathers and forebears (no, not four bears, forebears). That phrase you hear yourself shouting after your disobedient toddler... where did that come from? You sounded just like your mum! Your Christmas traditions are, well, just the way Christmas IS. Other families' Christmas traditions are other families' Christmas traditions. They're not proper Christmas, somehow. Your own rules for playing childhood games are THE rules (like if you don't say "thank you" when someone hands you a card in 'Happy Families', you have to give the card back). You might agree to play with other rules, but deep down, you know they're not the real rules. (I know of someone... not a million miles away from here... who turned up at university thinking that the person who was losing at the end of each round of croquet, had an extra go, though she had at least worked out that it wasn't necessarily the youngest who got to choose their colour of ball first.)

My parents both love classical music. When I was a child, I thought that children listened to Radio 1, and adults listened to Radio 3. I thought that was the way the world was. I assumed that as you grew up, you developed a taste for classical music, just as you developed a taste for alcohol and olives, and learned to drive a car. I remember going to a friend's house, and hearing the radio, and it was voices. Not music. Voices! People talking. Imagine that. Very odd. I was puzzled. I asked my friend what her mother was listening to, and she said she didn't really know. I probed. What are the people talking about? She didn't know. I went home perplexed. Didn't all grown-ups listen to classical music on the radio? Why would a bone fide grown up be listening to voices on the radio?

I think that the world has loosened up a little. I don't think this feeling of normalcy will be quite the same phenomenon in our children's lives as it was in ours. There isn't the same sense of there being one proper way of doing things. Homes are much more varied. Children mix much more with children of other ethnicities, religions, backgrounds. But even so. It will still be there.

I want my children to question the way Husband and I do things, the beliefs we hold, the attitudes from which we operate. It's part of maturing, it's inevitable, and it's healthy. But I also know that at the ground level of their psyches, certainly for some while yet, they think that our family is the norm, the way things are, the way things rightly are. It's an awesome responsibility. But as I've decided (see my previous post) that there is no normal, then it's probably all ok.
.

10 comments:

  1. I'd love a ticket for the intellectual aeroplane!

    I have thought a lot about these ideas as well since having a child. I sometimes wonder how much of my normal is different to other people's by culture and how much is different by individual family differences--for example, socks at the bottom of the bed for father christmas, who ever heard of that?! Well, millions as it turns out ;) (How does FC fill the socks without waking children??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I thought was "normal" turned out to be very abnormal and odd behavior in "ordinary" families. It took me a while to assimilate into a regular functioning society that was at least a bit healthier than the place I came from. I now have my own kind of "normal" and it is as straight as you can get it. I like being "ordinary."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! This post
    could not be written any better! Reading this post reminds
    me of my good old room mate! He always kept talking about
    this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he
    will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!



    Have a look at my web page Go to my website

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, are they saying "normalcy" in the UK these days or is that just part of your transAtlantic vocab?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that even if you are exposed to other ways of doing things, when you are a child, you do not question whether what your family does is "normal", but as you get older, you begin to see your parents not as demi-gods but as imperfect human beings, and that's when you question things.

    For example, my kids have a playdate once a week where they sit with the other family and watch cartoons while they eat supper. They don't do that in our house. But never once have they asked me why we don't do that. I guess they just assume that's what happens in our house, that's normal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter has a lovely pic up in her kitchen, it's a mother bending down speaking to her brood of children, she is holding up a finger and saying

    'Now remember children as far as anyone else is concerned we are a normal family'

    It always makes me smile....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have completely given up on normal. A little bonkers suits me very well, thank you very much. Btw, are you coming to BritMums this year?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My children constantly moan about the fact that they're not allowed to play on games that their friends play (like Call of Duty). I say: 'your friends have their own house rules. We have ours. When you're big you can decide on your own house rules.' I wonder if they will be the same as those they've grown up with or if they'll purposefully be as different as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd hate to meet the pilot of the intellectual aeroplane - would he/she be even more of a know-all than a "normal" pilot?

    Oh, and we were a Radio 4 family. THAT's normal.

    Love
    J'ph xx

    ReplyDelete