Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Hello, Lego Team! I'd love to hear your views



Aaargh... I have a thousand things to do other than blogging this morning. I want to leave that "Alcohol" post as my top post because I've had lots of comments and they're all really interesting. But... I just have to post this. I'm all riled up.

[PLEASE, if you read the "Alcohol" post and have something to say, leave a comment, even if it looks like it's Iota's yesterday's news. I am really interested.]

I've been approached by a PR company (which makes me sound like one of those proper bloggers who get approached all the time, so I thought I'd just draw attention to that fact). I will share with you her email and my reply, and let them speak for themselves. And once you've read them, you can read another post here which puts it well.

Hi

I hope you are well

We are keen to get in touch to invite you to a special event on the morning of Friday 10th February to showcase the new LEGO Friends range.

Please join us between 9am-12pm for morning tea at The Spatisserie at The Dorchester Hotel where you will have access to our fantastic new range and the opportunity to meet the LEGO team and have all your questions answered.

Please see our invite below for further information and please let us know if you would like to attend asap as space is limited .

It would be great to see you there.

Best Wishes

A


And I replied:

Hi A

I would love to join you, but unfortunately I live in the US, so won't be able to.

Did you know that Lego has received 45,000 letters from parents, regretting that they are targeting girls in a way that reinforces stereotypes? The "Friends" range gives the idea that girlhood is about shopping and beauty. I lament the days when Lego promoted their blocks as if girls and boys could both enjoy them as equals. If you had a daughter, which would you rather she did? Played with a Lego set which gave her the message that she could build and explore just like a boy? Or played with a Lego set which gave her the message that if she wants to build and explore, it had better be in pink or purple, and it had better be about spas and pedicures? Imaginative play encourages children to think for themselves, and be creative, and dream. It seems to me a shame that girls are sent the message that their dreams take place within such limited parameters.

I would absolutely love to meet the Lego team and talk to them. Since I can't be there in person, if you saw fit to give one of them a copy of my email, I would be really interested to hear their reply. I understand that they are in the business of selling toys, not of broadening the horizons of girls, but I would like to give them the opportunity at least to pause and think about this issue.

I have been planning to do a blog post about the Lego "Friends" range. It seems courteous to give the Lego team an opportunity to give me their views before I do so.

I am attaching three photos of Lego sets in days gone by. Have a look at them alongside the packaging of Lego "Friends", and tell me which you think sends a more positive message to girls. I know I'm not alone in my opinions. 45,000 other parents feel the same (and if that figure is wrong, then I'm glad to give the Lego team an opportunity to correct me).

Best wishes

Iota


[Postscript: I was wrong about Lego having received 45,000 letters - I thought that sounded unlikely. That figure comes from a petition to Lego, which you can find here. I was the 51,968th signatory, so the number is going up. Don't you love it when the internet gives you a voice?]



16 comments:

  1. With you all the way on this one. I hate the gender stereotyping & forcing girls' into such a narrow, reductive role. You put it very well (& politely!) I am very interested to see how they reply.
    p.s I loved those old lego pics you found! Ironic isn't it that in this so called age of equality & emancipation, girls' toys today are so very girly, feminised & restrictive in type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a post about this, too (have put the full link in as my URL). I really don't understand why anyone would think it necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winds me up that a lot of the lego for boys is all about fighting as well. The Halo brand, I had no idea but apparently it is an 18 (or 15 or something that is too violent for children to see).

    Everything is divided into boys stuff and girls stuff and it does both genders a disservice to be cordoned away from the other half.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marvellous. That said, 9 yo loves her Power Miners sets... Did almost fall off my chair first time I saw pink Lego sets though...I mean, what?

    J'ph xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just brilliant. Love this. I got that email too. Your reply is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a brilliant post.
    Hope Lego will take notice.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good. I saw that pinky girl Lego in the Lego Store recently and was horrified. (Having boys, I had no idea that it existed).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go you! I clicked through because I've had the same invitation - twice, in fact, despite my replying very politely that we live in Scotland, and no, I won't be able to be at the Dorchester with (in the case of the second invitation - one wonders how "limited" space really was) 25 hours notice and I thought your rant was going to be about geography...

    But this is so much more, and I was totally unaware of it. We are still on Duplo, which appears, or at least the stuff we have appears, to be unisex (or are penguins gender biaised these days?). No pink anyway. So the Lego Friends thing had totally passed me by, but I am in awe of your reply. If they reply (which they probably won't, let's face it) will you let us know?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree. Can't understand why Lego feel that things need to be before girls will play with it. As a child Lego was one of my favourite toya. All we had were red and white bricks, some sloping red ones to make roofs and a grey base. I don't even think there were blue bricks originally. I don't ever remember wishing they were pink, or purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should proof read my work before I press Publish - one spelling mistake and one word missed out! It should read 'things need to be pink before girls will play with it' and it should be 'toys', not 'toya'.
      Note to self - must pay attention...

      Delete
  10. I missed all this thanks for bringing to our attention. My 8-year-old LOVES lego, she will spend hours putting together one of the sets. But she likes the Harry Potter one and the one where you build a train and then make it run. I shall not tell her about the shopping angle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I had no idea they had pink Lego. Really? Ugh. I still thought of Lego as being unisex. Buy Lego and repackage, maybe... It does boys a disservice too...I know boys who like pink, and girls who like orange.... but UGH! They get enough creepy gender crap through Barbies.. and other toys.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm of two minds about this new LEGO venture: first I thought "Ugh, cringe, cringe" while feeling all conflicted because LEGO has been good to me and my online shopping foibles over the last few years - they have the best customer service anywhere; then I got to the shops and saw the sets, which are, predictably, unimpressive. To say they are stereotyped and bland is understating it somewhat.

    Then my 10 year old twins (one boy, one girl, both LEGO devotees) saw them. "LOOK AT ALL THOSE RARE PIECES!" they both screamed in unison. So...someone in the LEGO organization had their thinking cap on when these sets were designed. Methinks they thought the GIRLS could get the sets and trade the rare pieces with their brothers, or be not-so-secretly envied for their rare pieces, which is what MIGHT happen in our house (taps! cupcakes! pies! six new colours!).

    I still think their marketing ploy needs work. It's the whole "we need to cater to the tween/teen crowd and all their labyrinthine needs" spiral of hell writ large, which drives me nuts. The kids are supposed to be taking their cues from their families and parents, not from their dim-witted peers and Facebook. Oops, that's another subject, isn't it? Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw the friends thing and just thought 'seriously'? I don't think it's going to last. Kids will get bored of it.

    ReplyDelete