Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Music of Christmas: Part ll

There's been a post doing the rounds where bloggers have been sharing their favourite Christmas songs. I've already mentioned a couple of mine, and told you how much I love and revel in Christmas music.

But even I have my least favourites. They are (in ascending order of awfulness):

1) Anything recorded sung by children. I don't mind hearing children sing. It's sweet. Lots of them have lovely voices. So why, when they make recordings of popular Christmas songs for the mass market, why on EARTH, do they recruit children who can't sing in tune? There is nothing cute about children singing flat. Or sharp. And putting a quasi-adorable picture on the front of the box, of several smiling children of different races is not going to persuade me otherwise.

2) The Little Drummer Boy carol. It's boring, tedious, gloomy, and factually ridiculous (little drummer boy goes to play drum for sleeping newborn baby - I hope Mary gave him what for). I grant an exemption from my loathing of this carol to David Bowie and Bing Crosby, who do a nice job of making it into a duet. It is the only exemption I will allow.

3) Frosty the Snowman. I don't know what it is about this song (I'm not going to elevate it to 'carol' status), but I really hate and detest it. I don't even know the lyrics. I looked them up for the purposes of this blog post, and frankly, I was happier when I didn't know them. Anyone else share my detestation?

If you don't share mine, what are your LEAST favourite Christmas songs?

.

7 comments:

  1. Ding dong merrily on high. Just impossible to sing without losing any feeling of festive jollity; all those gloooooooor-hor-hor-hor-hor-hooooooor-hor-hor-hor-hor-hoooooor-hor--hor-hor-hor-hooooooor-hor-hor-hor-hor-hoooooor-hor-hor-hor-hor-hor-hor-ears.


    The Yea Lord we greet thee verse of O come all ye faithful without the proper accompaniment - shouldvbe the hight point of Christmas; is a huge disappointment in our church every year when we don't get the minor key progression to ...dum dum dum WORD OF THE FATHER...

    Mistletoe and Wine, Cliff Richard. Enough said.


    Ho ho ho! Love, Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor old Frosty the snowman! I think that one's OK. But I agree with you on Little Drummer Boy. There's something very, very annoying about it. And I don't like 'Mr Grinch' - which they seem to play nonstop in our local supermarket.

    I like all carols, but some of them have different tunes in the US, and that annoys me too. Bah, humbug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr Grinch? Ooh, am a bit out of touch here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I quite like the Grinch one when you listen to all the lyrics. Very dry.
    Not too fond of Silent Night if I have to join in. Far too high at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaarrgghhh. All of the above AND that ghastly Paul McCartney ditty about "siiiiiimplyyyy haaaavvving a wonderful Christmas tiiiiime".

    I think not. Bah humbug.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dominic the Christmas Donkey
    Santa must be Polish
    Alvin and the thrice-damned Chipmunks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree about Little Drummer Boy (and it's very hard to sing!). I also dislike Band Aid - Do they Know it's Christmas (probably very unpopular with that choice...) and The Fairytale of New York - I'm sorry, but it is just not Christmassy.

    ReplyDelete