Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Music of Christmas: Part l

I love Christmas. I always have. I think I've mentioned that before (and since a quick check reveals that I've written 18 posts to date with the label Christmas, I expect I have mentioned it more than once). And one of the best things about Christmas is the music. I love Christmas music. I love it all.

I love the familiar favourites about Santa and snowmen and reindeer and children, rehashed in scores of ways, played over wobbly sound systems in shops, abused as the background music to adverts on tv, warbled by children in school concerts.

I love the jolly ancient songs about wassailing. They make me think of our medieval forbears cheering themselves in the dark, dank, muddy, winter days, with a wassail bowl and a hog roast and a roaring fire. (Oh, thank heavens for central heating, fast food and shopping malls.)

I love carols, careful carriers of theological truths down the ages before most people could read and write. I used to love my 12" black vinyl record of carols, with a picture of snow-laden Christmas trees on the front. (I wonder if I still have it somewhere?) I love all those David Willcocks arrangements from Carols for Choirs. What a genius that man was. My favourite Christmas hymn is Of the Father's Love Begotten, which we had at our wedding (in January, not quite Christmas, but still Epiphany and therefore seasonal). It's based on a hymn written in the 4th century. It's old.

I love the Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College, Cambridge on Christmas Eve. I sat and listened to it with my grandmother in the last month of her life in 1983. I had just got a fancy radio/cassette player which I was rather pleased with - it had two built-in speakers, taking me to the lofty heights of stereo sophistication. She needed an oxygen mask on during parts of the service. It's one of my loveliest memories.

I love modern classics, All I want for Christmas is You, Santa Baby, Let it Snow, War is Over, Slade's So Here It Is - all of them. My favourite in this category is Paul McCartney's Wonderful Christmastime. There's something about that song that just gets me between the ribs.

I love mystic-sounding madrigals on CDs which have the word Celtic in the title, with pictures on the front of people in hooded garb, gazing mysteriously across misty landscapes. (Incidentally, don't you think the current iPod generation misses out, with downloadable music which has no need of album covers?)

I even love the offensively vacuous Kidz Compilationz CDs we have. I'm going to have to use the word 'festive' at this point. You know the kind. Lots of jingles and jangles and a good strong beat, where Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer morphs into Ding Dong Merrily on High which segues into We Wish You a Merry Christmas which blends into Away in a Manger which transmutes into Deck the Halls. We have one version in which they sing 'bows' of holly instead of 'boughs'. Falala-lala to that.

Ah yes. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without the music. I love it all. Well... Almost all...



NB I've sent this post to Notes from Home for her Christmas Carnival. If you're writing about Christmas, why don't you join in too?

.

5 comments:

  1. Me too:o) we have been listening to 'carols on a loop' for the last 2 wks with our breakfast. My son turns the ipod on when he gets down stairs 1st every morning. Prob cheers him on as he clears up the puppy's offerings from the night before. We used to go to Handel's Messiah every yr if we can & I LOVE Bach's Christmas oratorio. But I like modern/pop songs too. Confession, I even liked Cliff Richard's O Little Town & the Foodaid "Do they know it's Christmastime at all?" I think I go a bit soft in the head at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually like Christmas music (well, the choir stuff mainly) but I'm getting a bit sick of the Bing Crosby song in every single shop. It's like it's the only song they know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Iota, what a post! I love Christmas music, too: good, bad and ugly. We have a widely eclectic selection, and make it a point to purchase something new and unusual every year, along with things we just love. We make it a point to play all of it (usually on the 'shuffle' setting, because you can only handle so much of anything at one time); latest edition was purchased last year in Santa Fe, New Mexico, "Pueblo Christmas" by Robert Mirabel played on Native American instruments. The song "Green Chile Christmas" is truly dreadful, which means we all enjoy singing it at the top of our lungs...you know, this is a great idea for a post...promise to link back to you if I write one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Christmas music too, especially the carols from Kings and all the English classics like Slade and Shakin' Stevens and Wham. However, last year we bought a CD of Now That's What I call Christmas for a Christmas party....it has some real horrors on it, including a massacre of the 12 days of Christmas. We were listening to it yesterday and had to switch it off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listening to Christmas music as I write. Merry Christmas, Miss Iota :)

    ReplyDelete