Saturday, November 5, 2011

Autumn

I absolutely love autumn. And I absolutely love autumn here. The colours are amazing, and the days can still be warm. Even if the weather isn't warm, it's usually sunny and bright, and the light has a particular quality to it. I love it.

Three years ago, (that long?), I did a couple of blog posts about autumn, with pictures of trees and leaves, and I'm going to re-run them here. It's interesting to see how then I was busy comparing autumn here with autumn in the UK. It's a sign of how long I've lived here, that I no longer do that. I just enjoy autumn for what it is, and I enjoy the familiarity of it. I know what to expect.

Three years ago, I wrote this:

Trees in Britain have to get their shows done so quickly, and in the damp. A few days, and they need to get from green foliage to bare twigs. They manage a little colour, but have to speed on through to dead brown leaves pretty fast. The trees here have the luxury of week after week of slowly fading temperatures, and still have the energy to choreograph their colour changes with finesse. What impresses me most, is the way one tree can exhibit different colours at the same time. We had two trees in our garden that were, for days on end, red at the top, yellow in the middle, and still green at the bottom. Traffic lights. I couldn’t get far enough away from them to photograph them, more’s the pity, but here are some other examples I found.

Look how this tree shades itself from orange to green, left to right.



This one decided to do it from top to bottom.



These ones do it from the inside out. See how they’re red at the ends of their branches, but still green at the core, as if holding on to summer in their hearts while bravely waving their hands at the oncoming autumn.



Impressed? Just wait till you see this. Group choreography. These five babies have got together for a chorus line performance.



Great show, gals. (That isn't a floating roof, by the way. It's just that someone painted their store the exact same shade of blue as the autumn sky.)

Some trees are just too bursting with their own creativity to bother with that shading effect, and they mix up the colours in a great effusion. This one gives us a beautiful two-tone green and yellow.



I left in that stunning little red bush for you to see. What an effort it made – the least I could do was not to crop it out of the picture.

This one couldn’t wait to decide which colours to go for, so threw them all in together and mingled them up. The photo doesn’t do it justice. Click on it to enlarge it - go on, you know you want to.



To finish, here is a glorious display of autumnal splendour.



Look at the rich red, the startling yellow, the mellow ochre, the luscious green. Even that little shrub in the front is shimmering in maroon and silver.


Which one? Well, it's a bit small, I admit. You probably can't appreciate it properly.



I'll enlarge it for you - I'm sure it's well worth a closer look.




Those lovely autumn tones...




Hang on...









It’s a fire hydrant. I’m getting carried away here.

This post was trees. The next is going to be leaves.

.

11 comments:

  1. We've just had a glorious day in Chicago too. Walked the dog in blinding sunshine in a sweater and light jacket, (and trousers on the bottom of course). It gets a little chilly in the shade and you can't sit out in the evening (without a patio heater) but I could settle for this weather until March. Alas.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love autumn like you. We have also had a glorious day here in mid-Wales. the colours were so beautiful and the sunlight - the setting sun was glorious. The moon is showy tonight as well but it is frosty.
    It's a good idea to post previous autumnal posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I had to move to Seoul to get a taste of 'real' Autumn colors! We lived in the Southwest for the last 11 years, and there wasn't much in the way of color change to speak of - especially in Arizona! Have thoroughly enjoyed the changing colors here, which - despite the fact that we're in a big city - manages to provide lots of foliage. I'll have to follow your example and see how it feels next year. Right now it's just reminding me of the Northeast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you write about this season with your descriptive photos. Really spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness. I remember this post 1st time around. Is it REALLY 3 yrs ago already?? The quality of light in Autumn (anywhere) is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeously coloured trees and a nifty looking hydrant. Love it!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never noticed how quickly the autumn colours take on here, cos I know nothing else, but your pics are gorgeous. Must have been strange the first few years though!
    The hydrant is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous Fall weather here today too. I particularly love those little red bushes - I keep seeing them around. No idea what they are called?? And I am sure we don't have them in the UK...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those trees are amazing. I adore the colours. Isn't nature wonderful?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great trees! Nothing quite so colourful down here in Florida, although as my wife reminds me, the Autumn and Winter seasons tend to arrive later than most places.

    I miss the British Autumn. But then I like warm sunshine too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll tell you where Autumn is truly special: the Middle East. Which might sound odd, but it's true. I spent one in Tbilisi, and now Jerusalem. Okay so the colours aren't great - it's mainly olive trees here and pines, but the weather. Wow. Warm in the sun and freezing in the shade. And the clarity of the light. Simply stunning. Love your pics.

    ReplyDelete