Friday, April 29, 2011

The Royal Wedding

Yes, I did get up early to watch it. 11.00am your time was 5.00am mine. I set my alarm for 4.40am, because I thought we'd need a bit of time to build up the excitement, and see the Royal Family arriving at the Abbey. Though 20 minutes seemed a rather paltry allocation, when I set the alarm for anything earlier, it did look terribly terribly early. You have to remember this is an ordinary school and work day here. The alarm went off, I turned it off and went back to sleep. Husband woke me at 4.55am, saying "it's time to get up". So much for the build up.

What a lovely do. We do do do's terribly well, we Brits, don't we?

We all snuggled up on the sofa to watch, trying not to be too grumpy. Then it was the usual morning routine, making packed lunches and scooting everyone out the door. I remember on my own wedding morning, driving to the church, past Marks and Spencer, seeing people out shopping, and thinking "how odd! Here am I getting married, and there they are, just a normal Saturday morning in M&S". I don't imagine Kate Middleton thought of us normal folk, making packed lunches and scooting children out the door, but if she had, it would have been the same sort of thing.

Now I'm not a great follower of fashion, but I do have just one comment. Hats are ok on the top of heads. They are ok on the side of heads (the word 'jaunty' is useful for this). They are not ok on the front of heads. Not unless you're carrying a laser gun and you're auditioning for a part as an extra in a sci fi movie. Victoria Beckham and Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice - I'm talking to you.

My favourite moment (well, one of them) was when the American commentary that we were listening to kindly found someone to lip read what William said to Kate's father, just before the service began. It was something along the lines of "just a small family affair, then". Now if that isn't a fine example of British humour, I don't know what is.

Jerusalem. It's a great hymn. "And did those feet, in ancient time, walk upon England's mountains green? And was the holy Lamb of God, on England's pleasant pastures seen?" But at that point, some inner rebellion in me always wants to answer "No, I don't think Jesus ever made it to England". I know. Terribly literal of me. I have no poetry in my soul.

As so often, 7-yo had her own unique take on the occasion.

"So she's going to be the queen now."

"No, she's marrying the prince, so she'll be the princess."

"What? She goes through all this, and she only gets to be the princess?"



.

17 comments:

  1. Oh yes it was fab, no one does pomp & circumstance like the Brits, but I also thought it seemed very un-stiff & stuffy. They seemed so incredibly relaxed. I guess it also helps to have a bro like Harry who seems to see the funny side of everything. I was at a 'street party' at the British Embassy in TIrana with G&Ts on tap, bunting (union jack) & even a raffle. It was very cool & great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was great - really made me want to be in England. Slightly surreal watching it from the U.S. but was good to be able to switch channels and get lots of different takes on the action. Agree about Jerusalem - the retort is 'No, they didn't!'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the 7 yo's comment! I'm no royalist myself but it was a lovely day. I do love all that pomp and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sprung from my bed at 3:50am and LOVED every moment from start to finish. A day to be proud of our British heritage my expat buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post!!

    Thanks for sharing what her Dad said- that's just made me laugh a lot. I thought he was so composed, showed no signs of nerves!! My Dad would have been a big fat mess I reckon.
    Anyway, have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a brilliant occasion and of course, over here the children had the day off school. No lunch boxes to make.
    How I agree with you about those flying saucer hats! Mad!
    As a nation, I reckon we do things like this really well.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally agree about the horrid hats. Beatrice's looked like horns! My favourite moment was when the happy couple left Buckingham Palace in the Aston Martin. A very modern twist on an otherwise very traditional wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So agree bout the hats .. how the hell do they make them stay on!
    thanks for sharing
    martine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only a princess indeed... I thought the worst hat-on-forehead offender was Tara Palmer-Tomkinson. Did you SEE hers? (Otherwise google it. Really.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my heart stopped when I saw Eugenie and Beatrice. Crikey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm thrilled the bride wore sleeves. Can we hope it puts an end to beauty-pageant-style bridal dresses?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was lovely to feel British if it was only for one day wasn't it

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a Brit and proud, Its nice to see we came make world news for such a positive occasion. I can report that we all had the day off, the roads were very quiet and the shops that did open had slow trade. TV coverage was excellent and we sat and watched it all :)

    Agree on the silly reindeer hats, my favourite funny comment by a TV commentator was when William drove the Aston Martin out of the palace. Commentator said something along the lines of " perfect end to the day showing how William is a man of the people, drives himself, not even a bodyguard" camera pans out showing the armoured black Range Rover 6 feet behind his caR, no doubt filled with SAS and protection officers !

    RJRdaydreamer

    ReplyDelete
  14. It really was wonderful wasn't it. I hadn't expected to enjoy it as much as I did and I thought Kate was wonderful. I'd have been a nervous wreck but she seemed calmer than the rest of them. Agree with you totally about hats on fronts of heads. Just not right.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the whole pomp and circumstance and open carriages and livery and uniforms dripping with medals and sashes is so strange to me, an american. but i do love all the hats. even the bizarre ones. you brits really do hats very well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahahahaha. 'She's going through all this?' Gotta love your daughter. It's exactly what I thought. Why on earth would anyone want that? Only to move to Kent with an RAF officer?
    (is he an officer? or a commander? sorry, I am rubbish at all things military)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, of course, I had to watch it! If it had been held a day later, I would have had a slumber party for a few friends (Why couldn't they have gotten married on Saturday?). Love hats, have just a few, mainly worn for tea parties. My friends and I would have looked ab-fab in our pajamas and hats!

    You are so right about the hats of Victoria Beckham, Beatrice and Eugenie. And can somebody tell me what's wrong with VB? Is she the Velveteen Rabbit in reverse--she seems to think she's a shop mannequin instead of a living person!

    ReplyDelete