Friday, April 1, 2011

Cuteness abounds

Well, I’ve seen some cute things in my life. I’ve seen my own newborn babies, (funny how your own are so gorgeous, whereas other peoples'...). I’ve seen baby rabbits, and ducklings. Our next door neighbour has just got a 9-week old puppy. That’s fairly darn cute. It’s a cockerpoo (cocker spaniel poodle cross). Is that just in America that they come up with these clever cross-breed names, or are they doing that in England too?

Anyway, what else have I seen that’s cute? Nativity plays - I’ve watched a few of those. Once my two boys, aged about 1 and 4, fell asleep arm in arm. Naked toddlers wearing wellies - they’re pretty cute. Small children trying to say long words: hospital, or ridiculous, for example. Small children using grown up words for body parts. Kids wearing brand-new school uniform on their first day. Baby socks. The first unbelievably small sleepsuits that my babies wore when they were born (which, yes, I’ve kept). Their early scrawly sentences, written in mixed lower and upper case letters, with illustrations of gangly people with smiley faces.

Yup. It’s fair to say that I’ve witnessed plenty of cute things in my life. I’ve even embraced the word ‘cute’, and use it instead of the word ‘sweet’. But… nothing prepared me for seeing a 7 year old girl in soccer gear. My 7 year old girl in soccer gear. Yes, 7-yo has taken up soccer, and as if soccer shorts aren’t cute enough on a 7 year old bottom, she also wears knee-high socks, diminutive shin pads, and petite cleats. ('Cleats' translates as 'soccer boots', or I’d better say 'football boots', else someone will correct me). Pink and black cleats! Heaven. Even for someone like me, who so staunchly resists the infiltration of pink into all aspects of a girl’s life.

It was that opening sentence “Well, I’ve seen some cute things in my life” that first made me see myself as a country singer. By the time I’d got to the end of that paragraph, I was imagining Iota on a high stool, legs crossed, strumming her guitar wistfully, crooning into a microphone, in a smoky bar in a small cowboy town some place. I was trying out rhyme schemes with ‘cute’ (‘my guitar is my lute’, ‘I also play the flute’, ‘I have a pet newt’, ‘I’m in my birthday suit’), and before I knew it, I’d written a ballad.

A Ballad to my Daughter Playing Soccer

Well m' neighbor’s just got hisself a small cockerpoo
His front lawn is covered with a load of doo-doo
That mutt is so adorable, half poodle half cocker,
But the puppy ain’t a patch on my li’l girl playing soccer.

I’ve been to Hardy’s birthplace, a-down there in Dorset,
I’ll think of a rhyme here, though I might have to force it,
Twee cottage with a thatched roof, twee door with cute knocker
But no, nothing near so cute as my gal playing soccer.

A thing of beauty’s a joy forever, said ol’ Johnnie Keats
He was thinking of m’ daughter, in her size 2 pink cleats.
I’ll be standing on the sidelines, ‘mongst fat moms and thin dads,
Watching her run by, in her sweet li’l shin pads.

In your soccer clothes, My Honey-pie, you look awful purty
And I’ll take out an opponent if she tackles you dirty,
If I were an Aussie, I’d sure say you were beaut
But I’m here in America, so I’ll just call you cute.

I’m off to Starbucks right now, for my tall decaf mocha*
I hope I don’t end my days in Davy Jones’s locker
Ah’m just an ol’ sentimental and somewhat agin’ rocker
Who died of a cute attack, when her daughter dressed for soccer.

* I know, I know. Mocha and soccer don't rhyme, unless you have a British accent. How about 'So please don't be a scoffer, and please don't be a mocker'? Happy now?

21 comments:

  1. Oh this is TOTALLY brilliant!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!
    Few points - we get labradoodles over here, and labradingers (or springadors)

    Is that size 2 US and how does that relate? Sounds awfully big for a cute lil' 7 yo? Of course soccer and mocha rhyme! How wouldn't they? (Aghast of England.)

    And I still love the died of a cute attack line...

    Marvellous. Your 7 yo and my 8 yo would have quite a laugh together I think!

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff....excellent stuff written.brilliant work.Thanks and keep posting your updated stuff related to such topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if I'm laughing more at your post or at the comment above mine (excellent stuff written, Ms Iota - keep up the good work!). But you are wasted - WASTED - in the toy shop. Surely Nashville is calling?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that was brilliant! simply brilliant.

    How can mocha and soccer not rhyme? have been trying to say it in an american accent, but can't work it out...

    naked toddlers in wellies gets me every time too

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE it! BRILLIANT post.
    Mind you..... my 8yo granddaughter in her football gear is a great match for your daughter! Hard to choose really..........!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!
    Yep, they are coming up with crossbreed names over here in England too. The first one I heard of (many years ago now, when a friend had 2 of them) was the Yoodle (Yorkshire terrier X miniature Poodle).
    As I was reading this line "Mocha and soccer don't rhyme," I'm thinking Yes yes they do... "unless you have a British accent" Oh yeah I have one of them =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be singing this all day now. Shall I join in as Crystal Gayle or Tammy Wynette?

    Very very funny and your rhymes are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, cockerpoos in the UK too. My son has researched dogs exhaustively & is reading up on training etc now that we have said "once we go back to the UK yes you CAN finally have a dog!" He's been desperate for one for about 2 yrs. Anyway one day on Bembrdige beach on the Isle of Wight, he saw this dog he loved & asked what it was & they said cockerpoo/cockapoo. And that's what he wnts (h eloves cocker spaniels u see) Well, whadda ya know, turns out they meet all my stringent criteria to my son that the dog must a.) not moult, b.) not slobber c.) be hyperallergenic, d.) not be a terrier but also not a big dog (do u get the sense I don't really wnt a dog, by applying so many conditions??.......) So that's what we're getting.... a 'buff' one, the brown ones are called... My husband still wants a golden retriever. Sadly for him, these meet NONE of my conditoins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oops, by the way, LOVED the ballad, & who'd have thought mocha doesn't rhyme with soccer? How can that be?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it - as Potty Mummy says, your true talents surely lie in Nashville.

    Thanks for the link also - and loved your comment by the way. And, can you enlighten me, what are cleats? The boys start soccer next week, and they were on the uniform list - but I am totally ignorant as to what they are.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. You crack me up, you really do. I will be Tweeting this.
    And for the Brits in the UK - "mocha" over here is pronounced more like Mowker. They also say Yowgurt and rissowtow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How is mocha pronounced in the US then? Is it 'mowker' or something like that? This is a brilliant song and I can just imagine you singing it in that smoky bar. Can you video a performance for us please? And your daughter does look very cute in that photo, it's the blonde ponytail which does it. Thanks for the ridiculous link and sadly my 5 year old now says the word properly *sob*, you have to make the most of these cute moments when they last.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The mocha/soccer thing is this. The last syllable in soccer is pronounced -errrrrr in an American accent. In an English accent it's -a, as if it was written socca.

    Does that help?

    I have a friend who has two daughters, Emma and Esther. The way I say those two names, they are pretty similar. The way she says them, they sound very different.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Also, I think Americans say mocha with the mo as in toe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nashville??? Forget Nashville... We need you back here so you can put Carol Ann Duffy out of a job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! And yes, mocha is moe- kah and soccer is soggerrrr! Actually I had no idea mocha was pronounced to rhyme with soccer in the UK. I left the country long before the starbucks invasion! So thanks for the education!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've obviously missed your calling. Now if you could just write something a bit more melancholy, you'll be topping the country music charts

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mocca and Soccer rhymes a treat - especially when you are surrounded by a bunch of East Londoners as I do. Ta-ta, luv! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you and I have done a swich-a-roo. You now say soccer and I now say football. Funny how that works.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How could I ever forget you, especially after you ode'ed so lyrical about soccah? Your words are like music to my ears.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh me oh my I love me a sing song l'il lady and that was just fabulous.

    I actually sang that out loud with some weird generic country tune that popped into my head.

    Kid = cute
    You =blumming wonderful

    That is all.

    x

    ReplyDelete