Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Burning the land

I believe that the practice of burning stubble is no longer allowed in England. Here in the US it is still widespread. Stubble, and wild grass. Acres and acres of it, out on the prairie.

At our local nature centre, they’ve been doing it too. Look at this picture.



Before and after. What a striking contrast. On the left is the untouched piece of land, and on the right is where they’ve burnt the old grass. You can see what it looks like a little while after the fire. I watched it, as the ground recovered from blackened nothingness to the beginnings of lush green. It changed literally day by day. It really looks quite verdant and healthy, doesn’t it? But just a very few days before, it had been like this.



I feel like the earth. There I was, minding my own business, and then cancer came, like a fire. I didn’t see it coming, I didn't ask for it, I didn’t want it. Nearly two years ago. It hurt, it destroyed, it ravaged. Pain and loss and fear. That was me, in the second picture: bare soil and blackened stems. I probably didn’t look like that to you, to others, and not even to myself. It’s not very nice to look at, when the earth is like that (click on the picture to see it full size and you'll see what I mean), so I didn’t pause to examine it much and I displayed it even less.

But the truth is that these things, these fires and cancers, if you let them, bring life. They bring growth and newness. They take out some of the dead brush. I don’t want to push the analogy too far. I rather liked myself as I was before, honestly. But I like myself, love myself, a whole lot more now. That top picture, before and after, that’s me (click on it - it's so much better full size). Somehow, in ways I see and I’m sure in ways I don’t see too, I am more full of life, more full of potential, more deeply truly myself, more fully ME, than I have ever been.

.

15 comments:

  1. This post really knocked me sideways. For the first time I really go ta sense of what it was like. The act of burning is so violent and frightening I am sure it would be the only thing I would be able to focus on, but as you say there is new growth in all sorts of ways after....

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post and I can completely understand how going through what you did makes everything new and green again. Great analogy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh. I mean, I think I knew, really, but hugely well put as ever... xxx

    love
    Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I didn't really know you before, but I really like you now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto Expat Mum - you're great now.
    I can see how you feel looking at those new green roots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful analogy. I'm glad you are feeling renewed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, surprised where you went with this but love the perspective. well said.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish it didn't have to be this way but it does seem often to be the case. Refiner's fire etc. It's still, in my experience, horrible to go through such times even when good things come out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and inspiring both before and after lovely, but like Tattie Weasel I also don't think I really understood the burning till now. Hugs. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad that you re happy eith the you now, you learn to look for the best in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully written Iota, and it gave me a very vivid image of what you've been through. I'm so happy you are well and full of life. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Iona. 'Potential' in the sense of everything it should be. Green and life-giving and full of the promise of new growth. I am so glad you found renewal. You are a courageous lady xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am happy for you that you found such a positive way to deal with such a harsh and violent illness. I begin to understand what you mean, as I have seen the same in other people, too. You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely post. A friend of mine back home just had a breast cancer diagnosis. She is going to be fine but I am shaken for her, and want to understand how she must feel. I will bear you in mind when i see her.

    Glad to hear you are feeling strong and green xx

    ReplyDelete