Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Where has blogging taken me now?

Have you noticed how sometimes there’s a topic in the blogosphere that becomes flavour of the month? You read a post about it, and then come across another one. A few days later someone else is talking about the same thing, sometimes linking back to the first post you read, but sometimes seemingly unconnected. Then maybe there’s a little flurry of discussion that might lead you to BMB or beyond. I’m guessing that if you Twitter, this happens more than if you simply blog. It’s as if ideas are birds, flying and settling, here and there. Perhaps it’s just that if something catches your interest, you’ll spot it and it won’t pass you by. Perhaps it’s your own antennae that are responsible, tuning you in to a theme that’s of relevance to your life at that moment. Or perhaps the ideas really are like flocks of noisy starlings, circling and wheeling companionably. Who knows?

The subject that I’ve caught notice of recently is that of why we blog. Ah, the hardy perennial. I’ve seen that one come round more than a few times. When blogging was newer, less established, it was aired more often. Just why, exactly, are we doing this? The idea of a virtual friendship was something that had to be justified. It wasn’t yet normal. A virtual community? How does that work? We needed to talk about that. Now, experience allows us to take it more as read (rather an apt phrase, when it comes to virtual communities). Friendships that started off in cyberspace have been cemented at blogging events, or simply when two or more bloggers decide to meet. We no longer need to tell ourselves we’re not weird for doing it this way.

I’m glad that we seem to have got going on the old chestnut again. Yes. Why indeed do we blog? Time to re-evaluate. Has blogging morphed into something different altogether? Or has it just grown up a little? How long is a piece of string, and what is the price of fish?

Here are the posts I’ve come across recently that have got me a-pondering, from across the pond.

The Potty Diaries: Blogging Changed My Life
More Than Just a Mother: 8 Ways Social Media Changed My Life

and BMB is starting a new feature: Why Do You Blog?

So there we have two bloggers who claim that blogging has changed their lives. Could I say the same for me? Yes, I could. I’ve found a voice, I’ve found I can hold an audience, I’ve found friendship and community, I’ve found confidence. I've had articles published in a local women's magazine, which I wouldn't have attempted to do before. I know I can write. Most of all, I’ve found that writing helps me make sense of life. Daily mundane trivial life, and great big gut-wrenching life. It all seems to benefit from being wrestled into words. I didn't know that before I blogged. From the outside, you wouldn't see much that looked very significant from that. I haven't written a book. I haven't become a journalist. I'm not earning any money from writing. But it is important to me. I have found something out that I am exploring. It's taking a while to find direction, but I'm not too worried about that.

Here’s the new thing I've done with it recently. I’ve started journalling – which I don’t think I’d ever have done if I hadn’t first blogged. It’s just for me, and it really wouldn’t be very interesting for anyone else to read, so it’s a different animal to a blog. I’m not choosing words that will convey my meaning to other people. I’m choosing words that convey my meaning to myself. (Did I just write that sentence? Does Private Eye still run Pseuds Corner?) Actually, it’s not really about choosing words. It’s much more about picking up the pen, and letting thoughts, feelings, random mental preoccupations flow out onto the paper. I have to do it in a notebook with a pen; it doesn’t appear to work so well at a keyboard. I don’t know why. Here’s the odd thing about journalling. It seems to create more time in the day. Somehow I make better use of time available. Maybe it’s something to do with freeing up some mind space for yourself, so that you are an emptier receptacle for whatever the day brings. Maybe it puts you more in touch with yourself, so that you are a more defined person in meeting whatever comes your way. Maybe you access parts of yourself that otherwise lie a little dormant. Maybe Pseuds Corner does still exist.

I don’t journal daily – though you’re meant to. Perhaps that will come with time. I think it will, as I now look forward to my journalling time. It’s a joy, not a chore as it was at first (though only at the very beginning – I discovered the pleasure in it quite quickly).

Does anyone else keep a journal? Did you come to it through blogging, or was it the other way round? Perhaps blogging appealed because you were already in the habit of writing. I’m interested to know.

.

13 comments:

  1. By journalling do you just mean writing a diary, or is it something more than that?
    I kept a diary for about five years as a teenager. They are fascinating to read now - not because they are well-written (mostly very dull descriptions of what I had for lunch and how I'm cross with such and such a friend!) but because it gives such a strange insight into what I was like then.

    I wonder if the whole question of why we blog is coming around again because blogging is changing. I don't know if you saw the various articles/surveys around which said people are abandoning blogging for tweeting and Tumblr and all the rest of it? So maybe there will be a whole raft of people who have come to blogging and then left....?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see blogging being totally different than tweeting...
    Journaling...I see blogging and journaling to be very similar, but yes, I do agree that journaling is more personal and practical.
    I like blogging because I like sharing my story and hoping that there are others "out there" just like me.
    Journaling is more for working through problems or simply noting how I felt or what I did during time in my life. For me, that is. I'm not saying what journaling is for anyone else.
    Keep up the good work and I can see why you have an article in a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think keeping a journal has implication to both you and future generations. Much of what we know about the past is actually a compilation of previous generations journals, from a time when it was more fashionable. For example, much of what we know about the Great fire of London comes from the diaries of Samuel Pepys. I'm guessing Samuel never gave us a thought. If you have a faith then much of what you believe is based on records kept by former generations in the form of the bible,Koran or other records no described as scripture.
    I'm not sure what people will thing of us in years to come if they stumble on the archives of Blogger ???
    Having kept a daily journal in my early 20's I now regret not keeping it up, perhaps that is part of why I blog? But I just love the freedom to explore a creative side of me !

    John
    RJRDaydreamer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have made up the word journalling, as I have never seen it in English English and our American friends would spell it as Thug in a CD uses. (Though why not bloging?)

    Great thing to do though. But I have never got my head around the "It's not for anyone else to read except me" thing. Either you burn every page after writing or have to consider that it's a possibility and that must affect what/how you write? Not criticising, just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course Journalling's a word. It is in my book anyway!
    Funny, this old question about blogging. I'm having one of those weeks where I'm physically exhausted for no apparent reason (iron?) and began thinking "Do I really need to blog?". It's a huge time suck and as a writer, prevents me from "getting on with it". However, I do enjoy it, it's given me a greater "platform" (ugh, that word) and I think I've made some really nice friends. Wink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just written a guest post for BMB (not yet published) about why I blog! Apparently a lot of people are complaining that BMB has become too corporate, too much about making money from blogs so my post is for those of us who blog just because we like blogging (without putting down those who want to make money from it).

    And why do I like it? First and foremost I blog because I love connecting to people. I was one of those kids who signed up for penpals in Russia and France and wherever else I could. I love seeing how different people do things, or how others address the same problem or seeing how people respond to something I've written. I also love visiting their blogs and connecting with them there, not just on my blog.

    I like the writing discipline--I know that I need to write regularly or I will lose readers. Readers are important to me because I enjoy connecting with people.

    Finally I like how the blog has helped me to improve my writing. And again, that's because of the readers. My writing has improved because I know that to keep and earn more readers I need to write well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope journalling is simple diary entry - PLEASE don't tell me it's a new form of social media - I can't cope!!! For what it's worth, I definitely think blogging has improved my writing - although others may disagree entirely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely lovely post. I've got so much out of blogging too. It has it's off moments but the positives outweight anything else. I'd say it's changed my life too. I've kept a journal for 20 years. I usually write my very private thoughts in if I need to get something off my chest. The rest I just blog about. I'd class you as one of the amazing virtual friends I've made through blogging. Hopefully we'll be able to chat more at Cybermummy this year. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your post. In a lot of ways I feel like I'm on the edges of bloging. I just blog what pops into my head and I don't fit into any one catagory of group of bloggers. I don't blog about a lot of extremely personal things so for me its completely different then journaling. I have a prayer journal that is deeply personal and for my eyes only.

    That said I don't think I would have ever decided to apply for seminary or persue ministry if it had not been for blogging. If you read the archives of my blog you probably would scratch your head and wonder how that's possible, and I don't really know either other than I think, like you, blogging taught me to put myself out there in a way I never had before.

    Thanks again for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to keep diaries, for years, then it drifted away. I started again when the kids were born, then I found blogging. Blogging fills that same need for me to write, but with the added bonus of appreciation and dialogue. Like many bloggers, I have a novel burning in the back of my head that I may throw out onto the screen one day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post Iota - and really interesting comments too. So glad that I helped (in part, anyway) to get you thinking about this one...) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't journal because my hand actually aches when I use a pen and paper. That's sad is't it? I'm so used to a keyboard. And my handwriting's awful, I can't read it myself. I'm not sure why I blog, I think the reasons for blogging change over time. And I think sometimes I blog because I feel I should. Other times it seems to come entirely naturally. Blogging for me is still a nebulous activity which means different things at different times. But it's creative and that's the big draw for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a journal for a bit but found it very confrontational. I keep meaning to start again. I get the effect of having more hours in the day from going to the gym.

    ReplyDelete