Thursday, March 17, 2011

Bleueueueugh

OK, so on Saturday, I'm going to join in this fabulous blogging worldwide expat carnival thingy (it's here, in case you want to join in too), for which I need to write a post all about a marvelous aspect of my life in America - of which there are many. Trouble is, there is this really angry bleueueueueueueuegh feeling in me struggling to get out into a blog post, so I've got to let it free quickly, in time for normal 'not wrong, just different, yay for living in America' service to be resumed.

Here goes, then, with the bleueueueueueueueuegh Incredible Hulk anti-my-life-in-America bursting forth from my neatly buttoned oh-isn't-the-Midwest-just-the-place-to-be shirt.

STOP getting excited about St Patrick's day. You're not Irish. None of you. You might have ancestors who were Irish. That's not the same thing. And it's silly. If you don't wear green to school, other kids come up to you and pinch you. If you have a green dinosaur on your blue underpants, it doesn't count (looking at you, here, 10-yo - unless you really did show your underpants to all your fellow fourth graders, but I doubt you did). STOP selling green cookies, green chocolate, green everything, having people greeting customers at the door of the supermarket wearing green. It's silly. Stop it.

Stop being so competitive about sports. My daughter is 6. She wants to play soccer. I want her to have fun. I don't need her to be in a competitive league. I don't need her to have a team photo on 'picture day'. I don't want her to have a training session each week, and then a match at a variable time on a Saturday or Sunday. I don't want to build our week-ends round those matches. I don't want her to think that her soccer team is the be all and end all. I see that other people living here do want to do those things. What can I say? Bleueueueueueuueuegh!

You! Mr Sports Director of the local sports centre! Yes, I'm talking to YOU! When you have 16 girls aged 6 or 7 signed up for soccer, can't you SEE that it doesn't make sense to run a league? You are insisting on having 4 teams with 4 players in each. I have, politely and nicely, discussed with you on the phone how this isn't going to make for a successful experience. Kids get ill. Kids have other commitments at week-ends. Families have other priorities (well, some do). So sometimes there will be a team of 3 players or even 2 players. Can't you agree with me (and my daughter's team coach) that it would make a whole lot more sense to get the 16 girls together one evening a week, do training all together, split them into two teams, and play a game there and then. That way, we don't all have to trek out twice a week. That way, they will get a game, rather than turn out, only to find that the game is cancelled because not enough players have shown up. Four kids is not enough kids for five-a-side soccer. That isn't rocket science. I know you love leagues. I know you love competitive play. I know this is thinking outside the box in a very challenging and enormous way for you. But please, please, can't we just try my suggestion? Just once? You never know... it might work well. If it doesn't, then you can go back to your competitive league, where the coach is king, and picture day happens, and we end up with a winning team which gets a trophy, and runners up who get medals. But just this once, couldn't you just think a little sideyways?

Next rant point. Doughnuts are NOT breakfast food. Luckily, none of my children have breakfast at school. I see you have cereal and fruit on the menu, but I wouldn't trust my children not to go for the doughnuts. I wouldn't. Nor the 'strawberry toaster pastry'. I have to put that in quotation marks. Sorry. I just do.

And on the subject of school food, please don't make my 6 year old stand in the lunch line (what am I saying? the lunch QUEUE QUEUE QUEUE!) for half the allotted time, and then make her tip half her food in the trash because there isn't enough time left to eat it. Please. That one isn't rocket science either.

Bleueueueueueuegh. I had other things to say, but I just hit publish by mistake, so let's call it a day. A bleueueueueueueueueugh day.

18 comments:

  1. Very nice article, thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly: HUGS!

    Personally, I've always worn orange on St. Patrick's Day, for a few reasons.

    - I don't like green. And even if I did, as a fairly pale-skinned blonde, my day would be filled with people asking, "Are you feeling okay?" because my skin will reflect the green. AND it will make my blue eyes look green, because they're weird like that.

    - It's entirely possible I have Irish ancestors, since I have genetic ties to all other corners of the Isles, but the ones I know for sure are English, Welsh, and Scot-Irish.

    - My parents are Protestant pastors, and I was raised Protestant. Green = Catholic.

    - Lastly - and most importantly - it tends to confuse people. ;-) "Why are you wearing orange? It's St. Patrick's Day." "Precisely."

    Five years ago, 17 March gave me an entirely different reason to observe the date, when V for Vendetta came out (more on that on my blog, if anyone's curious, but don't feel obligated :-) ).

    ReplyDelete
  3. bleueueueueueueueueugh-tastic. Sounds very very vile and grim and I think you should repatriate forthwith.

    We have red nose day today - hahaha - and I just went to Sainsbury's to do the shopping accompanied by very loud karaoke by the staff, and clowns (of which 3 yo is terrified.) Hahaha indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh at the St. Patrick's day thing becuase, I'm completly with you. Its just an excuse for drunks to get drunk!

    Also, you should be glad your daughter's league is only asking you to play twice a week. I know kids who play sports who have three practices and two games a week! That doesn't count tournaments when they are at the feild all day for back to back games. Its one of the many reasons why I'm thankful my daughter loves Karate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl. better out than in, as they say. And yes, as you ended in fact, I sensed there's more in there that needs letting out...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice article, thanks for the information.

    No, only kidding.....That was a fantastic regurgitation! Totally with you on the St Patrick's Day thing. Why on earth should my kids be forced to wear green to school when they have, to my knowledge, no Irish heritage? Why can't we celebrate St George's Day instead? My boys now know all about shamrocks and leprechauns, but nothing about anything to do with England. We were at a party last night, a fundraiser for the preschool, but people were complaining that the date of it was on St Patrick's Day! Crazy.....

    The soccer thing sounds hellish too. Don't know about Donuts for breakfast, but then, America runs on Dunkin, dontcha know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. And sideyways. Is that what Mid-Westerners actually say, or a typo? Either way I intend to bring it into everyday usage here in Berkshire. What a wonderful word.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great rant. I have to say I was pleased to see the back of feckin' St. Patty's Day. You can imagine what it was like here in Chicago, where everyone's bloody Irish.
    And yes, the leagues. My son's baseball coach is currently sending out e-mails changing the schedule on a daily basis - with about 4 hours' notice. Most of the boys have a lot of other things going on so it's quite a scramble to make things happen. I would say "Forget it" but is the kids don't make practice, they get benched. I have tried explaining all of this to the nice young coach, but given that he's single, and seems to be able to leave work at 3.30pm whenever he wants, it goes straight over his head!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it love it love it love it.

    Remind me to sit down with you next time we are in the same city and have an "And another thing..." type of conversation.

    I reckon between the two of us we could pull in quite a crowd for pure entertainment value!

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a cup of tea and a lie down. It sounds like you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahahaha! Sounds like they are getting to you just now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Get it all out.
    You know, I have absolutely no idea why St. Patrick's Day is such a deal. No clue at all.
    Does the competitive sport thing happen even in the midwest? That stinks. Is opting out an option, in the sense that it doesn't much help to opt out if your kids then have no playmates because others are still playing in the "league". If it helps, South Park did an extra hilarious episode about this. Find the South Park little league episode. It will help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its funny, my grandfather was actualy irish, but that wasn't anything to be proud of in England. I'm as Irish as most of the Americans who claim irish heritige.

    I'm not crazy about the green cakes, but i'll go along with any excuse for a party, and St Patricks day is actually kind of significant for our group of friends (just blogged about it), but the rest of it, yeah, bleugh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I haven't posted my final installment yet (and still can't for several reasons, not because I'm trying to be a tease) but let's just say that reading this post has reaffirmed the decision we have made.

    ReplyDelete
  15. it's fumny how they go so over the top with st patricks day, because here i hardly noticed - apart from betty coming home from pre-school with a'leprechaun' creation, and when i asked her what it was she said she didn't know, and she looked like she really didn't care either. I asked her if she wanted me to put it on the wall and she said 'NO'. No more was said on the matter.

    the only other indication that it was paddy's day was i got this text from my friend at 2am:

    'Went on stage at the Hackney Empire.Watched a mini river dance.Had several pints of Guinness with my nice Irish mates'

    ReplyDelete
  16. Strawberry toaster pastry?? Do people really eat them? I always thought they were just for... filling up cracks in houses, sidewalks and highways. Aren't they made of cardboard and pink glue?

    ReplyDelete
  17. We all have bleugheugh (how does it go?) times- nice to remember that. But yes, I agree-doughuts are not for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've recently discovered your blog, and I love this rant. Seriously. It looks like most of your comments are from the British side, but even as an American, I agree. I could say that being an expat half of my adult life has influenced that, but even as a kid I thought these things were just WEIRD. Thanks for the observations. I appreciate seeing my homeland through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete