Saturday, March 12, 2011

Marvellous mothers

As you know, these days I am hot on the case of Mummy Guilt. I am the masked crusader in the cape (the freshly laundered cape), battling that particular evil vilain. And in that spirit, I thought I'd just tell you what a fabulous mother I've been this morning, before rushing away to my secret hideaway, changing out of my superhero identity, and emerging into my real life as a humble toy store sales assistant. Ha! If only they knew...

The best 'fabulous mother' bit of the morning was the 15-minute car journey from the State Chess Tournament (10-yo participating) to the soccer pitch (13-yo participating). So for that to happen, you already have to imagine the whole mullarkey of getting two children to two places at the same time, each wearing different kit, needing different equipment, bla bla bla, which involved calling in favours from friends. Overnight favours on this occasion. So let's take that whole bit as read.

Then I need to tell you that I was on check-in duty at the Chess Tournament. This is a front-line job. It's not a front line you want to be in. I don't want to say too much, because I've never organised a big competition and I imagine it's not easy, but I think it is true to say that those who are good at chess (strategic thinking skills), are not necessarily those who are good at designing and supervising check-in systems for large numbers of children (organisation skills, people skills). Suffice to say, that one element of my job was to comfort a child in tears who'd been shouted at by one of the other organisers.

So anyway, after an hour of front-line duty and disorganisation, I then drove to the soccer match.

In the course of the journey, I answered the following questions:


what happens if you break a law?

how do the police find out?

how much is a fine?

what's a trial?

how do pet shops get birds to sell?

what does 'breed' mean?

can you unbreed animals?

what's the biggest pet you can have?

you can't really have a horse if you live in a town, can you?

do we live in a town?

what kind of party did you have for your 7th birthday?

when you play soccer, how do you not be the goalie, if you don't want to be the goalie?

would you like to be an ant?

really? did you know that they only live two days and they have people trying to squish them all the time?

would you really really really like to be a bird and be able to fly?


You have to admit, that for someone who has been up since 6.15, doesn't drink caffeine, has been dealing for an hour and a half with the potent cocktail of chess officials under pressure and members of the public, is mentally preparing a strategy to winkle out small shreds of information about her oldest son's first formal dance (yes, age 13) the previous evening while also enthusing about the goals he has scored... to be able to find the brain space to explain the judicial system in language a 6 year old can understand, recall childhood memories, ponder the metaphysical questions of creaturely existence, AND keep a car on the road in a straight line... I think it's pretty darn impressive. And let's admit it, this is standard fare for most mothers. You've all done this stuff too. You do it all the time. We are marvellous things, and should stop feeling guilty and inadequate.

Oh, and did I mention that Husband is away at the moment for nearly two weeks? Did I hear someone offering me a gold star to sport on my cape? Ooh, yes please (so long as it's an iron-on one).


.

17 comments:

  1. Gold star and a medal of honour! I've done completely the opposite today and had a day from motherhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just been picking the last bits of wallpaper off Man-Child's bedroom - with a blunt knife because the space I was doing was too narrow for the steamer and the regular wallpaper scraper. Now I have to drive him to the School of Rock (man) and take the Little Guy for some new shoes as his feet are apparently "exploding with pain".
    Medal over here too please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wide ranging discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the questions and the observation about chess players! Just had a discussion with hubbie about getting 3 boys to different sat morning activities with only 1 car and 2 parents. He then pointed out that's why another mum with 3 kids is getting friendly with me, so we can take her youngest son to football with our son. Ah ha - thought it was my marvelous personality!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about a sticker, so not to add ironing to your list? Sounds like you are doing a fab job, holding it all together ;)

    Perhaps you'd like to join me for my Expat Blog Linky Party on March 19th? Hope to see you then, if not sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gold star should be woven Cash's stitch-on one. As eny fule no. Or you get double whammy mummy guilt.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you like to be an ant? Quite a thought, being part of such an organised unit. And you are marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why do the questions always come when you are driving and trying to concentrate? I spend my life trying to avoid mad New York drivers while fielding questions about T-Rexes.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. And yes, we have very similar conversations. This morning, while making scrambled egg and toast for one, toasted bagel and chopped apple for the other, while also ironing uniforms, I managed to cover the history of South Africa, from the Dutch East India Company, the Voortrekkers, gold discovery, Boer War, apartheid, the end of apartheid, nelson mandela (in depth) and polygamy (referrint to current SA president). Nice light breakfast conversation with a 5 and 7 year old

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read 'an aunt' and didn't quite get why people would want to squish them. And why they only live for a day. Bloody dyslexic foreigners...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, the Saturday morning chaos... Running from one activity to another, changing kit in the car, wondering if anyone will ever have time to eat or wee. All mummys are pretty darn wonderful! But don't ask me to sew on a badge :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all the questioning! Are they planning to break the law? There seem to be a lot of crime and punishment questions in there! A child was upset by the organisers at the chess competition? Hope you shook your iron cape in his (or her) direction.

    ReplyDelete
  13. loved the questions - especially "what kind of party did you have for your 7th birthday?" - would that i could remember mine!

    i had my 6 yr old niece on the phone a couple of weeks ago with the request to "tell me about your life" - we could still be talking....

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a star! I think you deserve at least a Nobel Prize. I'm always amazed at how much harder these things get when you're all on your own. Single mothers must have the hardest time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd love you to pop by my blog today and give me your opinion on today's topic :) XOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just thought I'd over-egg the pudding here by describing my evening. Of course the Ball & Chain is out of town, so
    -baseball coach has changed plans at the very last minute
    - have to move Man-child's guitar lesson later by half an hour (if I can contact teacher beforehand)
    - then have to pick Man-child up before end of baseball practice and whisk him to guitar lesson (that's if I can reach him on his phone to tell him)
    - in between that I have to get Little Guy to piano at 4.45pm, then schlepp him around with me later (oh joy)
    - shopping being delivered between 6-8pm, so just hope they don't knock at 6pm on the dot as I won't be there
    - oh, and the Queenager is in a dress rehearsal till 11pm, so guess who has to stay up and pick her up?
    Medal - I need a stiff drink!

    ReplyDelete