Sunday, January 30, 2011

Manners in the toy store

Well, I was going to leave the toy shop and blog about something else, but as many of our customers find, once you're in there, it's hard to depart. So here's one more story. This was a moment I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed.

It was after Christmas, so not too busy. The owner, let's call her Ali, was with a difficult customer. She was an elderly lady, accompanied by a younger woman (her daughter, probably). "Demanding" wasn't the word. Everything was questioned, wrong, inadequate, not what she wanted.

Now, I've got used to the American style of shopping. For a customer, there's none of that English embarrassment about not buying an item. However you say it, it's fine. You don't need to apologise or explain. You just say "I won't take this one", and leave it on the counter. I've also got used to what in England would seem like a rude criticism of a product. I don't think it's at all odd if a customer says "I don't like the way this book of nursery rhymes doesn't have words, just pictures", or "The instructions for this game seem somewhat complicated for a 5 year old. I'd prefer to look for something else." Expressing a negative opinion in this context doesn't seem offensive to me any longer (though it took a bit of getting used to at first). However, most customers express themselves politely, and usually balance negative comments with complimentary ones. This woman was something else. EVERYTHING was wrong. It was all too big, too small, too simple, too complicated, not made in the USA, not what she wanted. Not only did she say so, but the way she voiced her criticisms was rude. Ali guided her round the store, patiently making suggestions, but she clearly just wanted to be unpleasant, no matter what was offered to her. It was a slow and painful process.

Eventually the woman was ready to check out. She didn't like the two choices of gift wrap. She didn't like that we don't take cheques. She used a credit card, and as she signed the slip, she started shaking the pen in an irritated manner, the same pen that every other customer that morning had used, and asked,

"Can I get a decent pen somewhere here?"

Without missing even half a beat, Ali replied politely,

"Office Max*. It's the other side of the parking lot."

It was truly a marvelous moment.

The woman replied "What?... Oh... OH...", shut up, signed the slip, and went on her way.

Gotta love working at the toy store.


*Trying to think of the UK equivalent of Office Max, but feeling very out of touch. Rymans?

.

20 comments:

  1. Love it, I guess Staples might be the UK equiviant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or yes, Rymans would do... A great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was about to say that the UK has Staples too.

    There are just some people who can't be please and I am pleased that "Ali" gave her back just a small dose of her own medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say Staples (I believe also owned by Thoe Paphitas, like Rymans?) but others got there first.

    That was such quick thinking, how did you keep your face straight?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Presumably she didn't detect the sarcasm?? or am I being too British thinking she was being sarcastic?? Wa sshe just being genuinely helpful & polite?! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good. That would have told her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done "Ali" - a brilliant response.

    It takes very little effort to be polite, whatever the situation may be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant!

    I saw some people just like that woman checking in at the kids' ski school this weekend. There's being assertive, and then there's just being plain rude....

    ReplyDelete
  9. That lady sounded a real grump pot! Glad she was stopped in her tracks.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was about to say I think Rymans went out of business, but actually I think it was just ours here in Smallishville, England, that closed down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant. I don't think I'd be carved out for running a shop. I would have asked that lady to leave looong before the pen incident.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In Britain, how would you let the salesperson know why you don't like a certain item, in order to help her help you find what you do want? Do you guys just make the sales people guess?
    (This is a no-snark, serious question!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. She absolutely sounds like a relative of mine! Nothing is ever right or good enough. I believe some people are just born negative. Good for Ali for her comment and for being able to handle such a rude and difficult customer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lynn, that's a very good question.

    We Brits prefer, honestly, to shop unaided. We like to browse on our own, mostly. If we do seek advice, then if we don't like the product, we find a very polite way of saying no to it, such as "Hm... yes... what a LOVELY book of nursery rhymes... just not QUITE what I had in mind". Or "Perhaps lots of five year olds could manage this game, but I'm not sure mine is quite at that stage yet". It's because we don't want to offend, and somehow we feel that to criticise the product is to criticise the shop, and that the shop assistant will take that personally. We are over-circuitous in this, as in so many things.

    I suppose fundamentally we don't see shop assistants as there to help us make a good choice. We see them there as the enemy, trying to part us from our money. I have to say, I have come to love the American way. I am a much better customer myself, for having been a sales assistant. I now feel much more confident about going into a store, explaining what I want (or asking for ideas, if I don't know what I want), and then saying yes or no to what I'm offered. I don't feel embarrassed if I leave the shop with nothing. There's none of that trying to slink away unnoticed that I used to do in Britain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was going to say "Staples" but I have got side-tracked by the whole American vs British shopping style.

    I think, Lynn, Iota's absolutely right, we don't want to offend, and we don't want to appear rude, and so we hedge everything around with apologies or justifications. We also don't want to be put on the spot - I loathe the thing of being in an American shop and the assistant asking if I want some help. "No, I don't, go away, leave me alone, if you stand over me I'll have to chat to you and you're looking at me, and will you just go away", is what I'm thinking, when of course I actually say "No, ahem, thank you. I'm fine" and blush and cower and wish the floor would swallow me up. And that's just someone being nice.

    Sorry, we're weird. Or maybe it's just me...

    But, a brief anecdote. We're having building works done at the moment, and I had to go and choose bathroom stuff (toilets, wash basins, the like) last week. I didn't talk about prices because to be honest when they're all totting up and you're talking about taps and sink holes and stuff it all gets awfully complicated but she said she'd send me a quote. Which she did, and lo and behold it was about a million pounds too expensive.

    Did I say "I'm sorry, that's too much, how can we reduce the cost?". Did I heck (not the word I'm really thinking, but this is a family show). I said "that's lovely, thank you very much" and got the architect to ring them instead...

    Like I said. Weird. All because I didn't want to irritate the assistant that I hadn't talked money in the first place. But of course I wouldn't talk money - I'm British and we don't do that.... (but then that's probably another blog post for Iota).

    Sorry. Too long as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  16. DO we still have shop assistants in England. There never seems to be anyone around when I need one! And, in the rare event that I find one they don't seem to know anything about the product!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So interesting! Thanks for taking the time to think about it and explain.

    I feel the same way about wanting the clerk to go away when I'm browsing in a hardware store (guys don't browse!) or trying to make a clothing choice. But I don't have any problem firmly saying no thanks, I'll holler if I need you, I just need to make up my mind and you can't help me do that. Politely, with a big smile, always. And I don't get annoyed, or embarassed or emotional about it in any way.

    Or talking budget first, especially with major purchases like yours, Planb. I've worked in retail myself BTW.

    Thanks to all of you, if I'm lucky enough to shop in Britain, I'll be a bit circuitous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha! Nice one Ali!

    I used to work in a bookshop in the middle of the City (London) and we got all kinds of rude City types. I hated it and haven't worked in a shop since, deciding that in spite of my natural American inclination towards customer service, I wasn't cut out to be patient enough to deliver it consistently to people like the ones I saw coming into the shop there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad that rude lady got a dose of her own medicine. Ali really got her there.:-) Some people are hard to please. No matter what you say or do, everything is just plain wrong to them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Perfect comeback. How did you not gurrfaw loudly?

    MD x

    ReplyDelete