Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Year Rant

Okay, so here is a rant. It's been triggered by this post at Notes from Lapland. She's writing about how cosmetic surgery and beauty treatments which we used to think were the sole privilege of narcissistic and slightly weird celebrities, have now become mainstream. Her example of choice is teeth-whitening. She says:

I remember not many years back laughing at the blindingly white, perfectly straight, false looking teeth that every American actor had. Now it’s perfectly normal to have your teeth whitened and many shopping centres in the UK have Whiten While You Wait booths for those lunch time teeth whitening emergencies.

What’s wrong with normal looking teeth, when did they become an abomination? Are we really all expected to look like anime characters?...

...We all know how it works. You see it enough to become desensitized to it, making it normal. You feel abnormal for not having it done.


She puts it so well. Somewhere along the line, having perfectly white teeth, and perfectly straight teeth, has become a norm so strong that it has become harder to opt out of it than opt into it. Did we all collectively want that to happen? Did we tick some box that said "I want to spend time and money on making my teeth look good. That is an important issue for my life."?

Let's play guess the celebrity.
Whose perfectly straight teeth are these? Recognise them?

Ha! Trick question. Those are the teeth of my 13 year old son, and you know what? I'm very grateful for them, because if they weren't so beautiful, they would probably be requiring us to fork out thousands of dollars in orthodontist bills. (And while I'm venting my rage, I want to ask why they are called orthodontists, not orthodentists? Why?) The jury is out on 9-yo, but 6-yo definitely has a crowded mouth, so unless the Tooth Fairy can do a little more magic than just leaving a couple of dollars in an egg cup by the bed, we are going to be presented with some choices over the next few years.

There's the financial choice. Would we rather spend our money on ensuring that 6-yo will look just like all her peers, than on her education, holidays, leisure activities, living environment, or anything else that we could choose. Of course the orthodontistry option is appealing to the parental instinct, because it is visible proof to everyone that we care for her, and are wealthy enough to hold our heads up in polite society.

Then there's the medical choice. Apparently these days what you do for an overcrowded mouth is apply some metallic contraption or other that encourages the jaw to grow, to make a bit more space for the teeth. The dental hygienist who was telling me about this assured me that they have done research, which demonstrates that this is a better strategy than taking out a couple of teeth, and prevents problems in later life. Yup. I bet they have. (She couldn't remember what problems it prevents, but she thought they must be serious...) But my nice Scottish osteopath, when he heard we were moving to America, told me not to let them put braces on my kids. According to him, they can cause so many problems in later life: neck problems, head aches... quite apart from all the issues to do with making your child go through her most formative years with a mouthful of painful metal, which will affect her eating, her speaking, her image of herself.

Don't you think they'll look back, in centuries to come, and judge teeth braces as instruments of torture? Don't you think they'll be up there with corsets, and foot-binding? (Well, not as bad as foot-binding, but absolutely as bad as corsets.)

Here's why I am so ranty and angry about this. I feel so powerless. I know that the pressure to enable 6-yo to have nice teeth will be greater than my better judgement. It's not that I want her to have horridly crooked teeth. I don't. But I believe that there is a sensible middle ground, where a little bit of dentistry will result in good enough teeth (and as Notes from Lapland fears, this kind of talk does make one sound like Aunt Mabel saying "what was good enough for my generation, is good enough for yours"). I believe that getting her jaw to grow beyond what nature intended, in order for her to have a row of white tombstones that will give her the look that used to be pure Hollywood, but is now average suburban housewife, is not right. I want to have a sensible conversation about this with an intelligent dentist. But it doesn't work that way. Dentists are bought into helping people have perfect teeth - it's their business. The media, the fasion industry, the cosmetics industry, the plastic surgery industry, the airbrushing industry, Mrs Jones down the road, I don't even know WHO... they are all bought into presenting us with the image of what is no longer the perfect face, but the acceptable face. And as much as I want to bring 6-yo up to believe all that good stuff about it's not what you look like but what you are, and how dangerous and damaging it is to tie up your self-esteem in your looks, I can see that I've lost the battle before I even start. I don't know who the enemy is. I don't know how to arm myself. I don't even know if I want to win. Do I really want her to have less-than-perfect teeth in a world where everyone else's are perfect?

I feel we are all tricked into reciting mantras which have no meaning. Every time we read something that says a person had cosmetic work done "for their self-esteem", we help create that myth, and bolster it, and now the myth has become reality. It really will be hard for 6-yo to have good self-esteem if she doesn't have good teeth. It's not her fault, and it's not my fault. How did it happen? I feel so powerless. It makes me angry. I haven't been this furious since I wrote about the learn-to-dress kitty toy (I only vent my spleen in tackling life's larger issues...).

Powerless, but not voiceless. That's the great thing about blogging.

And a ranty new year to you!

.

25 comments:

  1. Just before my braces came off, my orthodontist announced that he wanted to break my lower jaw to fix the forward tilt in my front lower teeth. How far tilted were my teeth? Inches? Nope: a millimeter or three. I don't deny that some orthodontists are insane.

    Fortunately, my mum agreed wholeheartedly when I said, "Um, no! I'm quite literally attached to my jaw. There will be no breaking." Mum's comment was along the lines of sure, maybe my teeth would push my lower lip out a bit, but don't so many Hollywood types try to have that "pouty" look anyway? ;-)

    And then, just after braces were out of my life for good, they introduced the first "invisible" braces. Argh!

    Oh, and neck problems, headaches? Huh?? How would braces cause those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaargh, you've just confirmed all my worst fears about orthodontists.

    I see that it isn't necessarily a rational choice to believe what my osteopath says more than what an orthodontist says. But he has less vested interest. And when it comes down to it, I suppose we trust our common sense and gut instinct (as you and your mum did - thank goodness!). It feels perfectly reasonable to me that yanking teeth about might put strains and stresses on the muscles and bones in the jaw, and that those might lead over time to tensions elsewhere in the head. I wouldn't live or die by this, but it doesn't seem weird to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if this will help or not, but a friend passs on her Red & other 'womens' mags she get sent here & one was all about the fashion now, EVEN amgst models for les sthan perfect teeth,in partic for gaps between teeth (Wife of Bath style)& they showed various models AND celebrities with such teeth, I think pssibly one of the Geldof girls?? can't remember actually. But of course it also said that in America people were now getting dentists to make their teeth crooked & even giving them little brace things to prize their 2 front teeth further apart to creat e a 'gap' which is HGIHLYfashionable. So don't do anythign too drastic (as if) with 6 y-o, by the time she's 18 the fashions will have changed again! Oh & these were current, Autumn 2010 magazines...

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/13/ny-fashion-week-gappy-teeth

    http://gawker.com/5633555/fashions-new-favorite-flaw-gap-teeth

    http://www.thewealthydentist.com/blog/1299/gap-teeth-the-fashion-trend/

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you go to any chiropractor or osteopath, they tell you everything causes headaches and back problems (which might be true). That's their profession. Mine used to claim he could cure everything and anything with his treatments.
    Dentists (or orthos) are naturally more interested in the mouth. I wold suggest you seek at least one other second opinion before making any big decisions. Our orthodontist only suggested a retainer for my daughter, although the Man-Child required braces but then his teeth were actually rotated! Very weird.
    One of the reasons they try to straighten teeth out is to prevent problems later. As you age, your gums start to recede and any problems you have will get worse.
    Anyway, I know your dilemna about the white teeth part, but I would definitely go for more advice regarding orthodontic treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find the dentists here in the US are very quick to recommend expensive treatments which will no doubt be very lucrative for them. Perhaps it would be worth talking to an NHS orthodontist next time you are in the UK? They could at least give you a less biased opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should add that we're not being advised to do anything for the next 2 or 3 years, so this isn't an urgent issue. Just one I know is waiting in the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely teeth your son has.
    When I was 12 (in the days before braces) I have overcrowded teeth and the dentist told my Mum that I needed to loose two teeth from the top. Naturally I didn't want them taken out and my mum said it was my choice.
    How wrong she was. I have suffered with crooked teeth ever since. I was too young to make that decision about my future. I could only see the here & now.
    I think that it is good to have nice teeth. Not necessarily whiten them but yes, straighten them.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off - what Paradise Lost in Translation said... I was just hunting the links, but I'd read that too, so by the time you get there, they may be cosmetically altering 9yo's teeth to make them wonky. Now there's a thought...

    Also, bear in mind it doesn't always work. The lovely, and obviously devastatingly attractive, B had years of braces and operations throughout his teens to make his bottom teeth lovely and straight, and twenty years later they've all resolutely moved back to where they were in the first place... Was it worth it? I suspect not. I still married him, after all.

    And finally, (because I can hear the ten o'clock news in the background) as Nappy Valley Girl says, have you ever chatted about it to a dentist in the UK? I don't want to cast nasturtiums (sorry, couldn't resist) at the US dental industry, but I do think we over here are still more tolerant of the less than perfect teeth. Mine aren't brilliant, but they're fine, and no-one's ever suggested I might do anything to them other than the six-monthly scale and polish. Contrast that with a friend who took US citizenship and celebrated with new teeth because she felt so out of place with her (also perfectly fine) british ones... Maybe if (when) you come back here, the suggested "treatment" won't be quite as radical...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is a tricky one. My best friend growing up had a large birthmark on her legs. It really upset her when kids teased her and for years she didn't wear shorts. As an adult, the technology became available for her to remove the mark and she decided to have that procedure. Her parents said if it had been available when she was a child, they would have had it done for her. I guess I bring that up because it is really in how you view the straight versus not-straight teeth. Would you see it the same as a large birthmark? I'm on the fence about it for my kids. I had very disfigured teeth due to a car accident when I was small, so the braces were medically necessary -- not just cosmetic. (I spent all of kindergarten showing kids how I could pop out my false teeth!) I can tell the pressure must be huge -- especially in the US -- to opt for braces. It would make me angry, too. At the same time, though, I think about my good friend's 13 year old who is going through hell in junior high right now for being different -- during school years where standing out from the crowd in any way makes you a target of teasing. Ugh. Even more pressure, eh? These sorts of things make me so frustrated for all the mothers out there trying to navigate the world of choices for their children! I'm sending sympathetic hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I had no idea braces were such a big issue. I'm not one who thinks your teeth have to be perfect - those Whiting places creep me out, but what is the big deal about putting your kind in braces if she might need them?

    I guess it truely is a case of growing up in the fish bowl kind of thing. I had braces when I was in middle school, and no one cared. In America it was just kind of one of those right of passage type things. Not that EVERYONE had them, but No one picked on me because I had braces. They didn't hurt, make me talk funny or drastically alter my eating habbits. I don't see how they could cause back or neck issues.

    That said, if it bothers you that much then just don't go there. Talk to your dentist about braces alternatives. If your daughter wants straight teeth later she can deal with it as an adult.

    This is one of those times I'm very happy my daughter's father is in the military. She sucks her thumb so she will need to have braces to aviod bucked teeth.... and have her thumb amputated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Frustrating isn't it? How are we supposed to teach them that it doesn't matter what you look like when the harsh reality is that for most of the population (and certainly in school) it does. It terrifies me to think what the next step is going to be - when we all have perfect white teeth what is going to be the next must have to fit in?

    The gappy teeth thing is almost encouraging, however, I'm guessing that only a 'perfect' enhanced by an orthodontist gap will do and not just any old gap you were born with.

    And yeah, why aren't they called orthodentists? Make no sense.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear your rant - but, i hope i am not lowering the tone but when i looked at your son's teeth, and before i knew they were his, i thought they were kylie minogues!

    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My dentist said that many other dentists would have tried to make one of my teeth conform to their straighter neighbours, but she said not to because we all need to keep some character in our faces. You can hardly see this tooth anyway, and it hasn't ever bothered me. I hope I can find a sensible dentist like that for my children. The one I went to see a little while back said of my 3yr old and my 6yr old that they were both going to need all kinds of work done. I'm definitely getting at least a second opinion if not more.

    (I wouldn't mind slightly whiter teeth at some point though. Heehee.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tooth whitening: most people don't realize this works by acidically etching off the surface of your teeth and physically degrades them. That's one of my "I've seen the science and I would not do that in a million years" things and also my "how on earth is this legal?" things. I think it's just that the long-term results and damage haven't been seen since it's relatively new.

    As for other things to do with teeth, I have a friend who happens to be one of the world's leading tooth experts (I actually know several, job hazard I guess--did I tell you my PhD supervisor was a dentist?) and his view on dentists is to keep them far away from your teeth as possible as they meddle too much. His best advice for me was to use Listerine to avoid cavities (that form by the same process of acid etching your teeth as the tooth whitening) and only go to the dentist if you absolutely have to because you're in pain. So there we have it, I'm about to turn 35 and still have my wisdom teeth along with a few teeth at rather minorly jaunty angles (which they wanted to put braces on when I was a kid but I never did, thank goodness). But they're quite white, not because I whiten them but because I brush and floss and use mouthwash and generally try to take mostly good care of them. And because I have good genes, which is mostly what determines the precise color of your tooth enamel...

    Sorry, will stop ranting myself. You hit a nerve here. Occupational hazard!

    ReplyDelete
  16. One thing I'm not sure about - my kids' dentist has advised that the Queenager (almost 18) have her wisdom teeth taken out now before they get too troublesome. Naturally I questioned this and she said with the bottom teeth in particular, they become sort of fused to your jaw bone as you get older and the removal is worse.
    I only ever had top wisdom teeth (which pretty much popped out) and my husband had none, so we have nothing to go by. I'm tempted to leave it since she doesn't want it done, but then I dread causing her more trouble when she's older.
    Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting post (as usual) you are my fave UK/US bogger BTW! My daughter was told (in the UK) that she may need braces for her teeth when she was 6 or 7 but by the time she was 11 her teeth had sorted themselves out as she grew. I don't notice people here in upstate NY having perfect teeth but maybe I haven't been looking. I will now!! In my opinion there's better things to spend money on!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was in the dentist yesterday (having a wisdom tooth extracted) and picked up the leaflet on tooth whitening as my son's teeth have suffered with the medication he is on. After reading it, there is no way I would have my teeth whitened!

    I had four teeth removed as a teenager and braces for a couple of years. My teeth are pretty straight now and I'm glad I had it done and also I think it's probably been easier to clean my teeth properly. But I wonder if I would have been bothered by slightly crooked teeth had I not had it done. I would like to think not but with the pressure on looking perfect these days, I can't honestly say for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We don't seem to have this issue as much in the UK. Perhaps its because all dental work is completely free for kids. Makes me think that its a bit of a money making scam for dentists rather than a medical issue that needs resolving!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm curious -- how exactly is having braces strapped to your teeth a surgery? I'm not a huge advocat of cosmetic procedures, but there is nothing surgical with what I went through with braces. I work in surgical research for a living -- and find the reference to braces as increasing rates of infection a frank exaggeration.

    On that note -- my only advice to you, Iota, is to follow your gut on this one. Like so many issues these days -- this one is obviously polarizing. Sigh -- after having spent 3 weeks back in the US this holiday and having watched the news every morning, the fearmongering on either side of polarized issues tires me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hmm, the braces I see on kids here seem to by quite unobtrusive, or sometimes colorful, it seems to be a right of passage, amy kids ahve them. It is expensive if your insuarance doesn't pay though.

    I have crossed lower teeth, which don't show really, but are very hard to clean and are prone to gingivitis. I'd like one day to get them straightend, and if my kids have the same problem I would get theirs sorted out young rather than have a hard to clean crowded mouth like mine.

    My mum got braces quite recently, in her 60s for the same reason. One of her teeth died due to overcrowing, so she had the dead gray tooth removed and a crown put on, and got the rest of her teeth all straighted, took about a year. She hated her smile before, and it is an improvement to her looks, no doubt.

    Our smile is one of the first impressions we give, and though it doesn't have to be pearly perfect, a really horrible mouthful of teeth (yes, sweet Japanese co workers I mean you, poor things) is a bit offputting, perhaps because of the high standards achieved by cosmetic dentistry. I like the idea of checking with an NHS dentist, I worry about lining the pockets of the orthodontists here.

    ReplyDelete
  22. No matter what country you live you should always have more than one opinion regarding braces or orthodontic surgery. My 15-year-old will need braces, but his asthma inhaler has ruined his teeth. The first ortho we visited in South Carolina said that my son needed his jaw broken and reconstructed along with braces. He was 11-years-old! Of course, I wanted a second opinion. We were then living in Southern California and not only did they agree with the South Carolina doc, they wanted to recontruct his top row of teeth too! For a child who only had a few crooked teeth (on the bottom no less where no one see them) his ortho procedures seem to be mounting!

    Finally, when we returned to Iowa, I spoke with my childhood dentist and he stated that there was a high probability of my son needing braces, but let us wait until he is a bit older. That is why I highly recommend second and sometimes third opinions!

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you really wanted to know why it is 'orthodontist' and not 'orthodentist', here is the answer: The word dentist comes from the Latin word for for teeth - dentes. The word orthodontist comes from two Greek words - ortho (meaning straight) and odontes (meaning teeth). You can prpobably think of other medical terms involving 'ortho' too - orthopaedics, for example. This is what a Classics degree is good for!

    ReplyDelete
  24. 'that make the jaw grow'? That sounds all wrong.
    I had four teeth taken out when I was about 10. They made space for my wisdom teeth, which I now have and which are strong and healthy. No need to make my 'jaw grow'. *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  25. I HAD to have braces for four years and I will be forever indebted to my late Mother for going out and getting a job to pay for them. The reason; my bottom jaw was so small a prezel twist will fit on it, and my top teeth were so "buck" that I could crench my teeth together and still stick my tongue out of my mouth. I drooled every time I spoke and I could not close my lips when chewing. I had four teeth removed and wore the head thingie as well for 3 years. Today at 53 I still have all my teeth which I most certainly would not have if my Mother hadn't made that sacfice for me.
    For me, the braces were needed.

    ReplyDelete