Thursday, January 20, 2011

Therapy in the toy store: Part ll

Do you know who gets the best therapy at the toy store? It’s me! Yes, me, me, ME!

I love the people I work with and for. They ‘get’ me without trying, in a way that is rare here (they’re East Coasters – I wonder if that helps.) It’s not often in America that I can relax as I make the darkest worst taste jokes, and know they’ll be received with guffaws of hilarity, and that the thread will be picked up and continued with. There’s nothing I love better than a running joke, and we have a few of them scampering around the aisles.

I love the space. It’s not mine, you see. There’s not that inescapable feeling that I could be… should be… tidying, cleaning or repairing something, somewhere. Am I the only stay-at-home mum who can’t relax in her own home? At least I used not to be able to, but now I can, because now home is where I’m off work, not where I’m at work.

I love the variety the job brings to my life. I love how in the morning I think to myself “ooh, work today, good!”, or “ooh, a day at home, just what I need!”. I love how I no longer have to be so self-sufficient. Being at home full-time is a tough call, sometimes.

I love the change in myself that the job has wrought. It’s as if someone directed me to the shelf marked ‘confidence toys’, and let me choose the one I wanted. I’ve overcome my early fears. I’m not afraid of the till. I’m not afraid of the credit card swiping machine. I’m not afraid of doing returns. I’m not afraid of coupons and discounts. I’m not afraid of answering the phone. I’m not afraid of customers (and they’re pretty scary when you first start). I’m not afraid of gift-wrapping while someone is watching me, or while several people are watching me (which is very different to gift wrapping at your own kitchen table, trust me). I’m not even afraid of the wayward raffia. That stuff has a mind of its own, but my authoritative fingers can now deftly tame it without fail into a delightful bow.

I love wearing make-up and decent(ish) clothes when I’m there. I’ve noticed (and I love this too) that all the clothes I’ve bought since I’ve started work have been strong colours: plum, raspberry, teal, mustard yellow. Get me. I’ve never worn anything mustard yellow before. Oh. Wait. Not true. In 1988, I had a mid-calf-length wool skirt from Benetton which was mustard yellow. But that was more of a subtle French mustard, not a statement Colman’s English mustard, and I always wore it with grey or black, not daringly paired with other equally assertive tones as I do now. Speaking of Benetton, whatever happened to Benetton? We all thought Benetton was the last word in cool, high street, natty dressing at one time. That’s retail for you, though. Tough business. I should know. Did I mention that I’m in retail now?

Where was I? Ah yes, the confidence that the job has brought me. I nearly died of sheer unadulterated pleasure when a customer thanked me for helping them, and said “you’re very good at your job”. Two people in the week before Christmas made a point of telling the store owner, in front of me, that I’d found them exactly what they needed. One of them used the word ‘awesome’, actually. (*blushes*) (*face clashes with mustard top*) I’ve noticed that people who come in trying to sell advertising space or whatever it is, now ask me “are you the owner?” rather than “can I speak with the owner?

They warned me from the outset, when I started in September, how crazy busy the shop would be for the whole of December. They painted a picture of madness, chaos, unrelenting pressure, trials and tribulations. And guess what? I loved every moment. Every single moment. I thrived on the continuous activity. I drank in the atmosphere like a tonic. I flourished. I’m actually a bit bored, now it’s January.

One more thing I love, and this one has taken me by surprise. I love contributing to the family income. It’s not much. I’m on an hourly rate which is embarrassingly close to the minimum wage, and I don’t clock up many hours. But it’s a good feeling nonetheless. I didn’t know that about myself. I always thought I didn’t mind at all that Husband was the sole breadwinner.

I recently missed a reunion dinner at my old university. A friend sent some photos, and as I looked at the faces in the pictures, I reflected on how topsy-turvy life often is. Most of those people, all of them probably, are in well-paid, high-powered jobs (let’s face it, the ones who aren’t, don’t pitch up so much at the reunions). Their jobs are appropriate to the education we together received. And I’m not saying that they’re not successful, satisfied, stimulated, happy in their jobs. But I do know this. None of them, not one single one, will be getting the same unmingled joy out of each day, each hour of each day, that I am, in my lowly sales assistant position, in my small unknown toy shop, in my out-of-the-way crevice of this fly-over state.

I’m not naïve. I know that this job won’t keep me happy forever. I know that I’ll get bored before too long. I know that I’m capable of more, and that I’ll be restless to experience and prove that. But when it came my way, this job was a godsend. The last job I had was the opposite. The children were aged 1, 4 and 7: one at home, one at preschool, one at big school. A challenging time to return to work, by any account. But Husband was suddenly, unexpectedly, unfairly, unemployed. I worked half-time to see us through, in a job which on paper seemed interesting, challenging, do-able, suitable for someone with my educational background and employment history. But it was a nightmare. I resigned at the end of the first week, in fact, but was persuaded back. The experience sucked all my confidence out of me, and though I knew in a rational way that it was the job description, the organisation, the people who were to blame, not me, that didn’t stop the sucking process. It ended badly. So over the past couple of years, as much as I was chasing a green card, I was secretly always relieved when it didn’t come, because I was so scared of the world of work. But now, as I said, I’m not even scared of the raffia. I’ve come a long way. It’s not often you’re on the payroll for your own therapy.

.

17 comments:

  1. Oh hurrah, Part Deux! Been waiting for it!
    Fabulous as ever.
    And raffia? Get, indeed, you!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I left University my career was in retailing. People used to think it odd after so many years of academic achievement, my first job was folding towels in the Bathroom Linen department of a major store. I moved from towels to knitting wools and conquered the till and the awkward customers. I moved up the ranks of the department store group and ended up in Personnel/Training but never forgot the early days of finding pleasure in helping someone choose their linen or matching a yarn of wool.

    Another touching post, Iota, I'm with you all the way x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful, fabulous, honest post. I'm so glad it's making you happy.
    I'm always happier when I'm busy and working - although as you say part-time is the best, because then you can look forward to the work days and the home days equally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post and very interesting as another expat. I am in a similar position now as an Elementary Secretary, having been an HR Manager for a big multi-national corporation in the UK. I feel all the same things and am a whole lot happier and less stressed as a result. You may not get bored, 3 years down the road I am still happy. I may have to write about this too, so thank you for the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, you've finally, found someone who gets your humour (or maybe you've subconsciously become midwestern in your humour.?)Didn't mean that 'finally' to sound quite the way it did! I meant finally in America.
    benetton. It's still around as 'commissions' in various dept stores in the UK & it has MANY branches in Albania, monte negro, italy, croatia that I've seen. & indeed mustard yellow is back. I was The Bennetton 1980s Girl at uni. My colours were the brights - pillar box red, grass green, cobalt blue! All very co-ordinated. My husband told me I was the sort of girl he crossed the street to avoid dressed like that at uni!!
    I worked in John Lewis as a student. LOVED it at Christmas when it was busy, but my legs took a LOT of getting used to retail, on one's feet all day. VERY tiring.
    So presumably you won't be needing my email therapy anymore then??!??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Iota! I was smiling all the way through and the way the dogs been behaving this morning, that's a big deal!
    I was Head of Training for a big retailer in the UK and was supposed to know how to do everything. I used to dread credit cards when they came in as I always messed up. And giving change when customers offered you the "2p" extra. What was that all about?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so pleased that you are so happy in your toy shop. I feel that work that you enjoy is tremendously healthy and I feel much the same in my poorly paid job.It leaves much to be desired in many ways, but I love it and missed it like fury last year when I couldn't work.
    Enjoyed reading this post.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy to hear that you are loving your job. My new job is "lower" than the one I had before it, but I love it. I love that I get to actually talk to people. Everyday I figure out something new and with every task completed I gain a little bit more confidence. I'm actually happy when Mondays come around.

    So yeah, all that to say I get this. I so get this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've made me want to work in a toy shop now. All the things you were scared of would have scared me too. So glad you've found something that makes you so happy. Brilliant, honest post that all mums should read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And the thing about SAHM-dom is that NO-ONE ever tells you you are doing a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post gave me great joy to read. You'll be buying your clothes from Chicos soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this part too! I laughed, I felt for you, I wonder if there's a next part.
    (We still have Benettons around here, but they're not so popular any more. Also, their sizes are so ridiculous that I haven't fitted into anything of theirs for about ten years.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so pleased to hear that this job makes you happy. That you are happy. And mustard? Get you, indeed! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray!! So glad it's going well. And I'm so with you on the not-contributing-much-but-delighted-to-be-contributing-at-all thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderfully positive post, a joy to read. Takes me back to my days working in a toy shop. Smiling for you Iota. And no, I can't relax in my own home - there's always so much to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How lovely that you are thriving, sounds wonderful. And what did happen to Benetton - it was so important to have one of their jumpers casually slung over your shoulders. I never had one and felt decidedly left out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful! I bet you look great in Mustard! Working can indeed be so very rewarding in so many intangible ways. That, and my inner need to generate my own income, are the reasons why I never gave it up, I think. Hope it continues to be so enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete