Monday, October 18, 2010

Tales from the...

... shh, you know I'm not writing this blog. But if I was, I'd tell you about...

... the person I met today whose little boy is called Soya.

... how I posted a transaction for over $22 million by mistake. Something for my boss to sort out when she balances the books.

... the woman who bought a toy for a child whose name she couldn't remember (not her own child - at least, that's what she said).

... how at home I feel with a boss and coworkers who get my English sense of humour. They are truly like an oasis in a desert. It's such a relief to be able to make jokes in horribly bad taste, and know that people will laugh uproariously rather than be offended. Jokes, like saying that the electronic talking-singing toys might have been inspired by... by... no, too much bad taste for a blog, sorry.

... how I wish Playmobil and Lego used different coloured boxes. They are both an identical blue, and it makes life very complicated. Is it a stand-off between the Germans and Danes?

"Ve choze ze blue first. Ve vill not change to anuzzer colour."

"We may be a smaller country than you, but we have a statue of a mermaid in the harbour of our capital city, and we, too, will not change to another colour." (Sorry, can't attempt a rendition of English spoken in a Danish accent.)

... how you should never ever assume that you are alone in the shop, because otherwise, you might be boogie-ing along to a kid's song, snapping your fingers and wiggling your bottom, and find out that, oops, a customer is watching you.

PS It was actually Sawyer (as in Tom Sawyer). I had to ask, because I just couldn't get my mind round Soya, and I didn't want to refer to the child as 'your son' in every future conversation.

13 comments:

  1. I wonder if that little boy was named after Tom Sawyer or the "Sawyer" on the tv series "LOST"? I enjoyed your humourous tidbits today! Glad you enjoy your job. Getting down to a child's song, now that is funny! Good on ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was named after Tom Sawyer - his mother told me. One of her childhood heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my friends has twin boys named "Maverick" and "Cannon".the things people name their kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on, she said it was Tom Sawyer, but surely we all know different? (Says she who chose a name for one of her sons because she liked a tv character with the same one...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soya! That so made me chuckle
    I met a little boy (about 2) once called Merlin.
    Then his dad walked in and I could guess why - such a stereotypical geeky role playing nerd who spent the next hour telling me to the nth detail about how they'd got all the comic book SpiderMan characters wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These poor children have to grow up with these names - he he he I can not wait for more takes from ...... Oh and the halloween houses too please

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was at school with a lovely girl who was the eldest of three girls then a big gap before a boy. The parents asked the girls what they wanted to call him.... the result? Thomas (parents' choice) Sinbad.... He's now in his 20s and still known as Sinbad. Am considering it for number four. Sort of. I like Soya though. Other commodities, perhaps? Sugar's too mainstream, but what about Oil? Or Sorgum?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The good thing about being in America though is that you can boogie and snap away while working, and even if customers see you they'll probably just smile and go on. :) or they'd join ya. haha.
    Awesome that you're working with a good team. Nothing really beats British humor. I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I never watched Lost, so I didn't know about that Sawyer. Hopeless, I know...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Soya. Do you think his surname is Bean?

    I've probably guilty of having been into a toy shop to buy a present for a child whose name I can't remember. The boys get invited to so many parties and some of the names are quite weird!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 22 million? If the American recession double-dips anyway we know who to blame!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What's wrong with Tom? (If your hero is Tom Sawyer)
    I wonder if his surname was Yesterday..... (Saw yer)
    This is better than Cherlie & the Chocolate Factory, & sounds like becoming almost as bizarre!

    ReplyDelete