Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Double trouble

We've just been to a music program (concert) in which 13-yo was performing. One of the songs that the eighth grade choir sang was from the witches in Macbeth.

"Double, double, toil and trouble
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble."

When we got home, 6-yo was asking me about it, wanting to know what the words were.

"Why were the witches singing about toilet trouble?" she wondered.

Talking of phrases which get you wondering, she and 9-yo often say "on accident" instead of "by accident". Husband and I have started correcting them. Up till now, it's been one of those family phrases that we fondly think is rather sweet, but the time comes when the need for correct parlance trumps parental doting. It's been a very hard habit to break. Husband and I assumed that they were saying "on accident" because of the parallel with "on purpose", or possibly because "it was an accident" could be construed as "it was on accident". Either way, it sounds odd to us, and we just thought it was wrong usage.

But... in the past couple of weeks, I've heard "on accident" three times - on one occasion it was a child, but on the next two, it was adults (albeit young things).

Is this becoming current usage? Is it an Americanism, or have you heard it over the other side of the Pond?

12 comments:

  1. My seven year old says that too, I thought the same as you, till I read your post now! However, my 11 year old does correct him, so she knows it is by accident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the thought of Shakespeare writing about toilet trouble! Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear people say on accident, but I also hear people (adults) say... "I'm doing good" which is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears. You are correct, its "by accident" and "I'm doing well... thank you for asking".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard 'on accident'. But it wouldn't surprise me - there are some strange prepositions over here!

    Well, I guess Macbeth might have had some toilet trouble....he was pretty stressed after all.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. My little guy says "by purpose". I think it's more likely to be an accident (excuse the neo-pun) than a language development as I've never heard an adult saying it. Funny though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oddly enough, I have heard an adult say "on accident". Sometimes these odd phrases bother me and I feel a strong desire to correct but what use is it to correct an adult, particularly if she is your supervisor at work? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate to admit this, but I have on occassion said "on accident" (Bright Red Blush on Face). The odd use of prepositions are just another one of America's many (lovable) idiosyncrasies! Thankfully I have never said "I am doing good." That is almost as terrible as when someone says "I ain't going to be doin' that no more."

    ReplyDelete
  8. There was a Grammar Girl podcast on this - http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/on-accident-versus-by-accident.aspx

    It suggests it's generational with most American English speakers under 35 saying "on accident" rather than "by accident".

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh, i like the sound of grammar girl. i'm a secret pedant at heart, me. no idea about on accident though. know what you mean about correcting though. mine calls sweet corn (corn on the cob), acorn. and i just think it's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting. Not sure I have heard that phrase over here in the UK but I do know I have heard it in the US...

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://literalminded.wordpress.com/2008/02/06/on-or-by-accident/

    Literalminded tackled this a while back.

    ReplyDelete