Monday, March 29, 2010

The Garage Sale: Part l

Now the weather is warming up, as you drive around, you see small rectangular signs sprouting up in the grass alongside the roadway. They’ve lain dormant all winter, but the arrival of spring brings them out, and they’ll flourish in steady number right through until autumn becomes winter. The size, colour and composition of the signs vary, but the species can be recognized by one common factor: they all have the word ‘SALE’ clearly visible. It’s garage sale season again.

It is said that Britain is a nation of shop-keepers (I never understood why), but truly America is a nation that loves to buy and sell. I suppose the nearest equivalent to the garage sale in Britain would be the car boot sale, and that’s the perfect illustration of how much less comfortable British people are with the boundaries of their homes being crossed. An Englishman’s home is indeed his castle (so we’re a nation of shop-keepers in castles?), and if we want to sell our stuff, we take it to a disused airfield or similar large open space, and put it on display on tables. Sitting in our fold-away chairs alongside lots of other people doing the same thing, we enjoy anonymity and safety in numbers. Not so the Americans. They’re quite happy to sit on their own front driveway, with strangers picking over their goods and chattels, or in their garage if the weather is bad, or even to hold the sale inside their house.

There are three levels of domestic sale (as far as I’ve been able to work out). The first is the yard sale, which really might be just a table of goods, with a hopeful child sitting behind it, aspiring to make a few cents from their cast-off toys and their mother’s unloved crockery. Then there’s the garage sale, which is the same sort of idea, but on a bigger scale. There will be a few tables of bits and pieces, and probably some pieces of furniture and larger items. Of course what has happened is that nobody wants to say they’re having a yard sale, at least not on the sign, because it sounds less worth a visit than a garage sale, so now everything in these two categories is a garage sale. (It’s the same principle behind retailers only ever selling food or drink in the sizes regular, large, or absolutely blooming enormous, because who wants to buy a small?) The original distinction has been lost, though people do still talk of ‘yard sales’.

Then, further up the sale scale, there’s the estate sale. The estate sale happens when a house is being emptied out, after a death, or a downsizing, perhaps. If you see a sign to an estate sale, you’re talking big items: furniture, electrical goods, household items, and so forth, with probably a large amount of smaller stuff in there as well. An estate sale will always involve going inside the house, so it’s a good opportunity for snooping neighbours as well as bargain hunters.

You never know what you’re going to see at a garage sale. It really is the case that people put out everything and anything. Typically there are clothes, crockery, glass-ware, vases, toys, games, Christmas or Hallowe’en decorations, chairs, tables, lamps, suitcases, rugs, books, garden tools. You name it. At one estate sale, I saw an old printing press for sale, and a pair of leather lederhosen. The range of the quality is as varied as the range of the items themselves. Some of the stuff is brand new, in unopened packaging. Some of it is chipped or bent or dirty, and frankly you can’t imagine why anyone would want it for free, let alone pay money for it. I’m not exaggerating when I say that at one sale (the printing press and lederhosen one, actually), the bathroom cupboard was open, and there were half-used packets of cotton buds for sale, and pots of face cream (I’m assuming unused, though they weren’t sealed – I didn’t investigate too closely).

This being America, if there is buying and selling going on, there is room for a middleman. So there are small local businesses who will run your estate sale for you, and these build up certain reputations. Round here, if you see the pink sign for an 'Estate Sale by Helen', I’m told it means that you can rely on the items there being high-end and good quality – but pricey. Others have more of a reputation as being good for a bargain. I’ve heard, though, that it’s a mixed blessing getting one of these businesses in. Yes, it saves you the hassle of running your own sale, but they retain the right to bring unsold goods from other sales into your sale. So your house becomes the showroom for other people’s wares. Though I suppose it’s swings and roundabouts, because your stuff in turn might be taken to do the rounds elsewhere.

Garage sales always seem well-attended. There’s always a line of cars parked outside the house, and a steady trickle of people heading in or out. At week-ends, a garage sale will typically open at 8.00am, but on week-days, I’m told they open up at 7.00 or even 6.30. The good stuff goes early, they say, but of course it depends what you’re looking for. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure… Or meat... Or poison.

I haven’t been to many sales. Occasionally, I’ve stopped at one in the neighbourhood, and given the kids a dollar to spend on a toy for fun. I once saw a glider (swing seat) as I drove by a sale, and stopped to buy it – something of a bargain at $20, though it did need some attention. I’ve walked round a few just because I was initially rather intrigued by the phenomenon, and wanted to see what they were like. I also wanted to pick up some tips and get the confidence to run our own garage sale, which we did last year on 31st October, Hallowe’en, and which I’ll tell you about in the next post.

19 comments:

  1. I LOVE garage sales. When we were in CA I bought NEARLY ALL of stuff from these sales. I love two things -- everything is AFFORDABLE and that you are giving this stuff another lifecycle. There's a list in the UK called freecyle and this seems to be how people offload. When we moved back to the UK I had a garage sale ... never will I do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to go to a garage sale - at least you can see the kind of home the stuff comes from and you're not traipsing through a muddy field, stepping over discarded ice-cream wrappers and polystyrene coffee cups at 6am on a wet Sunday morning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I fidn it really hard to get my head around selling your stuff in your own house. Here we have shops that you rent a table in and leave your stuff there - the shop take a cut but the table is up for a week and you dont have to sit and watch people pawing through all you old stuff which I wouldn't feel at all comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yard sales, garage sales call them what you will; I think they can be great fun. And on nice days when there are several on the block you can have a good time walking around,browsing and maybe even buying a little something. I think they are a great way of recycling and one man's junk is another man's treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm intrigued!
    Here in Ireland, kids might do a yard-sale, similar to what you describe. And there are Car Boot sales, in open spaces, but no garage sales.
    We do have a website where you can give away unwanted stuff for free, and I've used it successfully a couple of times.
    Look forward to the next post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sis in law uses Freecycle in the UK, even for getting old packaging to use to parcel up he rebay sales! She swears by it. I love the idea of this, ebay, & yard sales for recycling etc. I am alos incurably curious abt other people's houses, so I wd love the chance to traipse thru someone's house;o) I agree with heathe rtho, I wd feel a bit self conscious standing guard at my own stall ove r my own 'junk' Have also never been to a car boot sale, but need to do thatsoem time when back in the UK. The reason I like ebay is you can tailor yr search & do it in privacy & seclusion of yr own home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only been to one (when we first arrived, to get some toys for the boys before our stuff arrived by boat) but I find them very intriguing. We saw plenty of them on Long Island too in the syummer - including lots of signs for 'multi-family yard sale'. I've even seen traffic blocking the road to get to them. It's a good way to get to meet your neighbours, though.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Occasionally in the height of the summer, kids sit outside their houses and sell old toys or fruit from the trees in their gardens.
    I love car boot sales though.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog, very interesting. Love the sound of a garage sale - just to browse and be nosey but not to host one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've mentioned before but I work on the biggest garage sale ever! Our school holds one every May, but we collect every Tuesday morning throughout the year. We fill three gymns with the stuff (which technically makes it a jumble sale) and usually raise about $50,000!!! I love it.
    PS. Did you know that "yard sale" and "garage sale" are skiing terms too? When you fall and lose your poles only, it's a yard sale, but when you lose ski's, poles and goggles, it's a "garage sale".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not American.... No Americans in my anscestry....but when my parents downsized from a stupidly large house into a normal sized one about four years ago they had that most American thing, a yard sale. Although it appears we had our terminology wrong and it was more a estage (or garate) sale. Either way it was fun doing it, and, for the avoidance of doubt somehow not at all weird (although they weren't actually in the house. That would have been weird) But having been told to make sure that everything we wanted to keep was removed, why did I find myself more than once internally crying "No! don't buy that! I love it! (or did when I was eight and now can't bear to see it go....).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got my couch from a garage sale. I would never want to have to run one myself thought. Too much hard work. I perfer to freecycle instead. (Yes, we have it in the USA too.) Nothing I own is worth much and this way I don't have to cart my junk anywhere. People just come and take it off my hands. For free!

    http://www.freecycle.org/

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK. Just for the record, let me weigh in as an American. I had never thought about them being quintessentially American til now, but I can see that they are by this wonderful post which absolutely nailed the phenomenon and the nuances of each category! I loved reading the comments as well. I personally loathe garage sales and never go to them if I can help it. I have one about every 10 years because that is how long it takes me to forget how much I detest them. I had one last summer and it was OK: perfect weather and my daughter's little girl bedroom furniture and accoutrements went to good homes; it was a delight to see some little girls so excited to get them. But, frankly, the women haggling over purses and shoes were downright scary. In general, I feel better altogether if I just donate the stuff to charity.

    Mary
    Flat Rock Creek Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to see you've posted again. It's been a while. I love the idea of garage sales alhtough it would be a little strange to have people wandering down your driveway. I could certainly do with one with the amount of junk we have accumulated over the last few years. I'd have to clear out the garage first though, which could take some time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love garage sales. They are indeed very american. The only time I recall having one at home was a "Blue Peter Bring and Buy sale".

    Here in SF people tend to walk to them, we have small houses without front yards, so it is more of a sidewalk sale. I furnished my first place almost entirely from them, and have picked up all sorts of childrens toys, books, lamps etc over the years. One time I went out jogging and came home with a bookcase! (whcih was heavier than it looked!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like a Vide Grenier (empty attic, or something) sale in France. I've never thought about it before, but guess I must be a true Brit because I would hate to have a garage sale, let alone one inside my house! I adore a good car boot sale though, on both sides of the table.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutley intriguing - I am trying to get up enough courage to do the carboot thing. We have a kind of garage sale on farms where they are selling up and all teh ocal farmers and neighbours pour in to by useful thigs such as 100 year old baler twine, hub caps and old plough share tips...
    I knew it would be a brill post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so tempted to have a yard sale. I've been thinking about it for a while now. And put everything out. But I'm not sure how well it would go down in this slightly staid Scottish village!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I miss the garage sales--both going to them and holding them. So much easier than car boot sales in many ways, although there are other conveniences with the car bot sales, I guess. Hope yours went well last year, I shall check back...

    ReplyDelete