Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Visit of the Snow Queen

Here is a guest blog by my sister, who spent Christmas and New Year with us. We had a large fall of snow just before she arrived, which was topped up a few days later and then stayed for the duration of her visit, melting away the day after she left. Hence the name she acquired while here.

I bribed her to write the post with the promise that she'd get nice comments from all my bloggy friends, so please don't disappoint.

"I had never been to America before, and had no idea what the Midwest would be like. Most of the television I watch is American, but none of it is filmed anywhere near Iotaville. If I were to go to New York, I would have an idea about what it would look like as I watch Friends and Sex and the City avidly. Ditto Seattle as I watch Frasier and Miami as I watch CSI. But, with the Midwest, I had no preconceived notions as to what the place would look like.

I had assumed, in a very superior manner, that there would be no history and no culture. The first assumption was completely correct, but I was very favourably impressed by the two museums I saw. They were imaginatively done and fun (especially if accompanied by a small child who dances round the glass cases shouting 'pooperscooper, pooperscooper, pooperscooper' in a loud voice).

What I found difficult to take on board was the sheer size of America. I was thinking that if you lived anywhere in the South of England and wanted to see, for example, Ian McKellen as King Lear, then you could travel up (or down) and see it. This is simply not possible in America, due to the vast distances. Of course, what you should be comparing it with is not England, but Europe. I wouldn’t travel to see any play if it was in Portugal, and this is what the comparison should be.

What also struck me was the confidence and positive outlook that everyone exudes, which I couldn’t decide whether I liked or not. In some ways it was a nice change after all our British negativity, but I did wonder how kind it was to tell children that they could be anything they wanted. “Never give up your dream” seems a very American thing to say. On the one hand, to tell people they will succeed if they keep trying is admirable, but it is totally unrealistic to tell a little girl she can be a top ballerina if she has no talent. Hard work and determination can get you far, but cannot cut everything. Enthusiasm, I decided, is great if it is genuine, and both cultures have something to learn about pitching it at the right level.

I did love the food. Being possessed of the sweetest tooth in the whole world meant that I was in my element with Philadelphia cheese with added brown sugar and treacle (did I imagine this?); ice cream with caramel, butterscotch and chocolate poured on top; and sugar cookies with extra icing. It was probably just as well for both teeth and waistline that I was only there for a couple of weeks. I often think about the Wal-mart shelves, groaning with Krispy Kreme doughnuts, little mince pies with real cream piped on top; and too many cakes to count. I am reaching for the jelly babies as we speak.

Now I am back, I do find I go around saying 'awesome' and 'good jarb' to people. I am certainly going to visit America again."

10 comments:

  1. Hi Snow Queen, glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and your description of those sweet treats has my mouth watering. Not sure I would ever have left... Although that would probably have been because I wouldn't have been able to fit through the plane doors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed your stay. I have been here 5 years, and I'm still getting used to certain things. I'll never get my head around the portion sizes in restaurants for example.

    Treacle = molasses for any yank having problems translating - I had to learn that one, too after searching and searching and searching for treacle in the stores to bake gingerbread men and never finding it ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to america, snow queen!

    yes, we're a vast country of vast food portions, this is true. ian mckellan performed his lear just two city blocks from where i work, but i couldn't get tickets. so distance sometimes isn't that important.

    i'm intrigued by the museum you went to--a museum of pooperscooper displays?

    my town has a great museum called the museum of questionable medical devices. well worth a visit, on your next trip to the midwest.

    i hope you also found that we have a sense of humor, including at ourselves, and a great and hopefully not too overwhelming or inappropriate interest in visitors such as yourself.

    i enjoyed your post, and all the imbeds....

    ps did you get to wichita? did you see the strange and freaky and kind of scary cast-iron sculptures of coyotes with dead birds in their mouths, etc., on the downtown sidewalks?

    i was there on a white-hot 98-degree sunday a couple of summers ago. there was no one downtown except me and those bleak statues.

    it could give one the wrong idea of america....

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, now this is what I don't quite get, so I'm so glad you brought it up. I hear much from my English friends and acquaintances about American confidence and enthusiasm and determination, and I do agree with a woman who said to me just today that Americans are simply more assertive (a nicer term than aggressive, which I suspect is what she really meant) than the English.

    But when I listen to (OK, eavesdrop on... picky, picky) English parents interacting with their children, they don't really sound all that different than me and my American friends. There may not be any "good jahbs" per se, but there are certainly "well done, you"s and "I'm so proud"s and "you DID it"s a plenty. Do you really consider this markedly different from the way Americans encourage and praise their children? Please elaborate... I'm quite curious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Snow Queen,
    I think you probably came home just in time - those sweet combinations sound like they need a health warning. Cream on top of chocolate on top of custard on top of treacle on top of toffee on top of caramel on top of fudge, anyone? Book my hospital bed now!

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hail snow queen,

    what you write makes me want to go and see mid(-riff) America for myself.

    Good comments about how the country has portrayed itself thro' Hollywood/TV.

    Seems you come away with a nice balanced memory - v. english !

    Keep on blogging, sounds good

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard a saying a long time ago (which I'll mangle)that goes:

    In England one hundred miles is a long way. In America one hundred years is a long time.

    Or something like that, you get the idea.

    I enjoyed your perspective! Nicely said.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God. How delicious. I've never been to the States. In fact I rarely get out of outpost. Where similarly sweet tooth has to be satisfied with spoonfuls of Tate and Lyles Golden Syrup carted like precious cargo from some far flung grocery store. Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed this. What's the betting you arrive back home and get a free ticket to the play of a lifetime, starring every top A-lister and on in Lisbon for one night only?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Snow Queen - liked your post! So Iotaville is Little House on the Prairie land - ah I see! - didn't realise that before :)
    (Although, somehow, I think I had pictured Iota as a peachy-faced capable sort of a woman, yes!)

    So the supermarket shelves do groan with tempting treats - and yet the Americans on TV all seem to have perfect teeth. Most unfair!

    Laughed over the pooperscooper moment - what a beautiful word it is, clearly your child has an ear for languages - hooray!

    ReplyDelete