Sunday, January 20, 2008

The dangers of blogging

You think this is going to be about addiction. You have spotted the fact that I am technically on blogging sabbatical, but seemingly can’t actually stop. But ha! It’s not. I can walk away any time. I can. No, this is a little story that I hope will act as a New Year cautionary tale about the interface between real life and the life of the blog. This is an area that bloggers give much thought to, especially as they start out. What if I’m rude about my next door neighbor, and I’m not quite as anonymous as I believe? What if I tell a hilarious story about the school principal’s pants falling down (trousers to you, although pants would be funnier), and he turns out to be a secret lurker on my site? Should I tell my family and friends about the blog, and then have to be polite about them for ever more? What if I use my artistic licence and make up a few things, and get caught out? Is a blog fact or fiction? What if I say it was a grey and miserable Saturday afternoon on the beach, and people use the comments box to say “no it wasn’t, I was there and the sun was shining brightly all day long”? You know the kind of thing. But for all the care and caution with which the blogger attends to such issues, there is always the wild card out there waiting to be played. This is my wild card story.

I have a friend - let’s call her Josephine. We were at school together. In recent years, we have had pregnancy, motherhood and an email addiction as shared experiences. Our paths have run slightly less closely since I moved here, since she has been lured from email by Facebook and I by blogging. I do log on to see how her virtual Renault Twingo is doing and how many people have given her little pictures of chocolate cake (I’m sorry, but I can’t really get into Facebook, I know this is my loss because clearly so many other people love it, but there we are …), and she reads my blog. And we do still email a bit regarding essential matters such as how to go about buying girl clothes when you’ve only had boys so far, the latest trends in baby names, whether the grass is really greener over the other side of the fence and what can be done about it, and the teasing of a mutual friend who has a crush on her GP.

Anyway, Josephine had a baby in September. He’s called Joshua. He looks lovely in the pictures. Not long after he was born, Josephine emailed me saying “we think you should be Joshua’s blogmother”. I was thrilled. I emailed back at great wittering length. Several times. You may find this hard to believe... or you may not... but when I get going, I am something of a witterer. I’ve never sought treatment as, personally, I don’t see it as a medical condition, and I know several fellow witterers (leading politicians among them) who share my opinion. I can witter on at impressive length about pretty much nothing at all, so wittering on about being asked to be godmother turned me into Mrs Wittering of No 1, Witter Avenue, Great Wittering, Wittershire. Believe me. I wittered on about how I love having godchildren. I made jokes about furry godmothers. I mentioned that baby Joshua almost shares a birthday with another of my godsons (clearly a fact of huge interest to a mother in the throes of managing a new baby). I reminisced about how she had lent me a pretty white Vertbaudet summer dress (puffed sleeves, Peter Pan collar) for my daughter’s christening that had been her daughter’s, but how I didn’t think it would do for Joshua. I wrote volumes about how we always regretted not having asked her to be godmother to one of ours (always a tricky area), and that I’d once suggested to Husband that we should have a fourth child so that we could rectify the situation, but had had to concur with his opinion that that wasn’t a very strong reason for further procreation. Wittering, much wittering.

And then there was silence. I heard nothing, which didn’t really surprise me. New babies don’t allow much email time, Josephine’s husband has to be away for work for weeks at a time, no allowances made for a new arrival, her daughter had just started school… But then, after two weeks, with all that witter in the Sent Items folder looking lonely and increasingly uneasy, like the woman under the clock with a red carnation in her hand, I sent an email saying “Feeling a bit shifty here. You didn’t really mean it about the godmother thing did you? It was just a pun wasn’t it? Um. Don’t know what else to say.”

Josephine came clean. “Truth will out”, she said. “We hadn’t really got round to thinking about godparents. But we really really really like the idea, so please do be Josh’s godmother. Or blogmother.”

If you reach out and touch your computer screen at this point, you can still feel the warmth generated by my embarrassment, even after 3 months and all those miles between us. Try it.

The story ends well, though. There was a bit more emailing between us. I said I was resigning and they could reconsider at leisure, and I wouldn’t be at all offended. Josephine said no, don’t resign, we do really want you to do this.

Husband is always very good in these over-wittering situations, and he suggested that really, we should all start operating a new system for appointing godparents. Henceforward it should always be done, following my excellent lead, on a volunteer basis. That way, you’d guarantee motivated godparents, and save parents a whole lot of angst about the choice. He pointed out that it was a win-win situation. I love being a godmother and can go and choose little baby clothes in the shops; Baby Joshua gets an additional Christmas and birthday present every year, and extra prayers offered up for his well-being. Can’t be bad. And Josephine? Well, she gets a laugh every time she thinks of my woeful over-enthusaism (I tell you, I’ve been in America too long), and hey, we’re still mates. In fact, she is such a good mate that she doesn’t use the comments box to accuse me of plagiarism every time I say ‘hey’ followed by a comma, or ‘as eny ful no’ or ‘aaaaargh!’ or ‘it’s not easy being me’ or any of her other trademark expressions that I have shamelessly nicked. And speaking of the comments box, I want you all to tread softly in it (as if you ever do anything other…). Remember this is a real life story you’re dealing with. And in case you were wondering, yes, she is happy for it to be a blog post – in fact, she suggested it.

Oh, and on the question of my blogging sabbatical, of course I'm still on it. I'm looking on the last half dozen posts as an extended one-off Christmas special. What do you mean, it’s January 20th...?

18 comments:

  1. You shared the bloggers' quandary quite well. I'm still wondering if I should share my blog with friends that I've already written about. I think yes, and then I think no. Today it is definitely a no. Besides, I've been burned by sharing in the past. Icky feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I think you handled a sticky situation with grace. That sort of thing just strengthens a friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, the awkward situation....except that one can't be blamed solely on blogging.

    my philosophy, for my own blog, is this: Make fun of no one except myself. fortunately, i am ridiculous enough that i can still provide the blog with a lot of comic material.

    and blog as though the whole world is reading. because even the days when i get 2 comments, the whole world could be lurking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch. Had a similar situation when - but oh, can't tell you about that in case anyone connected is reading it... And you're right - it would have been much funnier if the principal's pants had fallen down.

    I deal with the sharing issue by simply banning all be 2 or 3 girlfriends from my blog. Trouble is, Husband is getting curious. And it wouldn't take him long to find my blog - so if you spot some toning down, that may be why...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iota

    Of course we'll tread gently in...er...anything lying in our path.

    and esepcially the blogcommentbox.

    Nice story and please maitain the half-sabbatical approach, the blogosphère needs you

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very embarrassing. Shows you've been in the States a while though, as the Brit side of you would have slunk off (is that a word) and it would have been hanging between you for years - unmentionable!
    Agree with your ambivalence about Facebook. I got poked the other day apparently, and I have no idea what that means or what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's very easy for anyone to see who I am as I Blog more or less under my company name, and I suppose I am so outspoken, that anyone I wrote about wouldn't be particularly surprised. I can be perfectly scathing to peoples faces...
    A great story, you know, I thought you might start wittering and go on a bit, but I'm glad to see you kept it short and to the point!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, maybe it was the wittering (which i do enjoy, so please don't stop), but didn't she ask you to be the blogmother? oh right, but it was just a casual comment and you ran far too far with it? oh...geddit. Yeh, that would be embarrassing! You see, you may witter, but I'm just plain thick!
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymity is a wonderful thing and a rarity to be treasured in this age of cheap fame and fortune seeking. Don't get me wrong - I'm not about to turn away cheap fame and fortune if it comes knocking on my door, though. And as for your extended Christmas blog. WAY HAY. KEEP GOING. DON'T STOP. But do try and get a book out of it. I don't know what you did before but if you didn't write, the world lost out.

    Hey, you think you can witter? (DId you ever read 'Martha talks'? I've modelled myself on her) And as for being a control freak. Don't even get me started. PS I was asked to be a godmother once and turned it down because I felt that being partly Jewish got in the way of promising to stick up for Jesus at every possible opportunity. And now I do nativities.

    Shall I stop now?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to worry about what I wrote on my blog, because I know people from all aspects of my life are reading it - friends, family, co-workers. But ultimately I decided if I was too careful, then it wouldn't be fun anymore. I figure I'll keep doing it until it stops being fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Witter all you want. And I did reach out to touch the screen. Yup; it was warm. Treasure your anonymity. I didn't sort of cop onto the value of remaining anonymous until I copped onto what fun it might be to be a little irreverent in cyberspace. And now I can't. Or oughtn't. Not if I want anybody in the real world to talk to me. Agree with Potty: pants would have been funnier. Keep blogging/wittering/writing; whatever it is we all do in blogsphere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. vyqpccxxHi. Josephine here.
    Marvellous post, even if vast tracts of it were untrue. Or were they? Most of you will never know (though Youknowwho occasional commenter might get to see the occasional photo I suppose if Iota brags about her huge fleet of godchildren.) And she will be the most SPECTACULAR godmother. Even though I am based in Tokyo so Joshua will never see her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I am new to your blog, and have enjoyed reading your older posts so much, I really hope that you are not on a sabbatical and that you will post on a regular basis, because I will be by here every day. I would feel very deprived if there were nothing new here for a long time, because you are very witty and clever and I do so like to hear about the experiences of Europeans in the States. I am in the Netherlands myself, but lived in the USA for 22 years. So, please continue.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Iota,
    You make me feel very guilty about my rather casual treatment of my own godson. I'm sure you will be a wonderful godmother.

    Blogging about people you know? I do it all the time, just twist things enough to make them totally unrecogniseable. They're usually such revolting characters, no one would dream of sticking up their hand and claiming their identity!
    And wittering is good. Did you know there is an RAF Wittering,too? If you ever feel like wittering in Wittering, you could pay a visit.

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Iota, sorry to be so slow commenting! No real excuse, I'm afraid. At first I was confused when you said 'blogmother' but of course that's the point of your posting - doh! I think the issue comes down to email not being a phatic form of communication - not being able to see what kind of emphasis people give to their words does give rise to the scope for so much misunderstanding. That's what my husband says when I end up in pickles like this - though I rarely manage to resolve them as you well as you did this one. Happy Blogmothering. You'll be a great godparent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. -chuckles- Oh dear! By the way, did you ever visit West Wittering? I think this must be a lovely address - wonder if that thought makes you miss the UK just a little more... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad it all worked out for you! I know exactly that kind of embarassment you describe... I liked your writing though - a top class form of wittering.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How did I miss this?!

    That scenario needs to be in the next British blockbuster movie - as written. Starring Kate Winslet doing all the 'wittering'. Then I can go see it in the movies and as usual be the only one laughing at the british words!

    I would have been mortified, too - but you handled it well - LOL!

    ReplyDelete